close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Horrible Craiglist Flake Episode

Discussion in 'Westside' started by SimpleSimon, Apr 16, 2015.

1. So I've had a 954rr listed on CL for a while. I've received a few inquiries and had a guy come visit last night. It was about 9pm and the guy wanted to "buy a bike today" so I made some time to show him the bike. To be clear, I think the bike is a good deal as it has less than 10k miles, all take off parts, performance parts, etc.

So this guys shows up, decides he likes it wand wants to take it for a test ride. He hands me $4k and takes it out for a spin while I make small talk with his ride. I have to move some shit in the garage to take it out as I'm undergoing a house move. But I manage to get the bike out and he takes it out for a 10 minute spin.

He returns and says he will take it! We shake hands and I load up all of the take off parts, stand, and other parts in his car and prep the title for his signature. He is literally standing there with pen in hand and he gets a text on his phone. "Oh! I can't believe it! The guy with the bike of my dreams wants to sell me his bike". He stands there and starts stammering on how he can't believe his luck, etc, etc. Eventually, I just tell him to GTFO and that I was pissed because I already signed and dated the title pending his signature.

Now I'm sitting here with a title with a signature, date and mileage on it as a seller and the buyer portion is empty. I don't know, necessarily, if I need to get a new title re-issued. Sad part is, I don't really need to sell it and wasted a few hours and potentially some money as I may need to have my title re-issued.

Needless to say I was freaking pissed. Goddamn mouth breathing classless inbred motherfuckers are taking up our oxygen.

2. legally no you dont NEED a new title(i be-leave)...... feel your pain tho. went thru almost same BS with the guy that bought my van >.>

3. Call a licensing place to verify but if it is dated you have 10 or 15 days (do not remember) to do 'something' with the title before there is a $100 fine. I got lazy and went 20 days on one of my last bikes so it essentially cost me another $100. Since you own it you will probably have to pay for a new title. Sucks.

4. When you sell it, write a current bill of sale. The DOL doesn't care what the title date is as long as the BOS is correct. I've done this a couple times with no issues. Your problem is someone stealing the bike and title, conveniently signed for a future thief so keep it locked up.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  5. Bingo. Dude in front of me at the DOL the other day had the same problem. DO NOT CROSS ANYTHING OUT. Just make a up a bill of sale. No biggie

6. Possible responses:

1: "Sorry. A Deal is a Deal. It's yours now. You can re-sell if you don't want it."

2: "Congratulations! Now you have 2 bikes!"

3. "I'm sorry, can't help you. Your friend was too late. Can I help you load it, or are you riding it home?"

:nana :thefinge:

7. I agree!

Money was in his hands, sounds like transaction complete to me! :thefinge:

8. Ugh...what a lame situation. I'm going to be selling my car in the next month or two and I dread putting it up on CL. The thought of dealing with the general public to get it sold makes me cringe.

9. I've parted out two bikes on CL over the past couple of months, as well as buying 4 low-cost bikes and selling a laptop and other items.
    So far, I have been really surprised at how well it's gone.
    That all seems to change once you get over the $1000 threshold though....

10. My buddy had some good experiences when he was down-sizing and sold half of his stuff (under that $1k threshold). It doesn't help that it's a boy-racer car (Mitsubishi Evo 9). I'm expecting much tire kicking and debating of the price. Maybe if I'm lucky the right bike will come on the market and then I'll be motivated to deal with anyone! Stories like these just make me cringe though.

11. I've had some bad selling experiences, as well as buying on CL(raise the asking price when I get there? See ya.). But like a bad day at work, eventually it's over and forgotten.

12. More like he got a text from his wife/dealer asking where the $4k is.