How does this work?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by jh14, Jun 21, 2012.

1. jh14

I found a motorcycle I'm interested about but it is quite a distance away. Since it's at a dealer, what are my options on negotiations and shipping? By the way it's a new bike, not used.

I looked around and all other threads are dealing with private party / ebay sales.

2. RedKat600

RedKat600 Vintage Screwball
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    2003 Copper SV1K
    Define "quite a distance". If you find a local dealer, talk to them about the bike you want but mention it's at another dealer. Sometimes they will arrange for it to be sent there via inventory swap as some dealers will work with others.

3. Grantizzle

Grantizzle Moderator
    Staff Member

this. or buy a one way ticket and ride the bitch home.

4. RedKat600

RedKat600 Vintage Screwball
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    2003 Copper SV1K
    This sounds like a much better idea to me! :evil4:

5. Jims08Z06

Jims08Z06 Bat Crazed

Just curious as to how far is a long ways away??? Good suggestions have been made, it's likely to develop some new scratches in the process of shipping. As far as negotiations you will need to explain in more detail. If it's new but last years model you may have some negotiation room. Look on the web site of the manufacturer, they usually have suggested retail. If not call around and find what other dealers are asking for the same bike. If you have cash, you have a powerful negotiation tool. Good Luck...AJ

#5 Jims08Z06, Jun 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  6. jh14

Thanks all,

As far as distance, the nearest is LA CA, and as far as Miami FL... several out there. Just none in the northwest. I'm looking at a 2010 FZ1.

7. easy ride from LA. Been there done that in one day on an 87 FZR1000.
    Go for it!

Maybe you can hitch a ride with dude on his Rebel 250?
    :ROTFLMAO:
    Sorry.

8. Bald Guy

Bald Guy Cone Head

+1 for Fly and Ride!

What an excuse for a road trip!

"Really honey, the closest one is in Miami. See you in two weeks."

Dusty

9. Not to throw a wrench in your plans or anything but just an FYI a California bike will have some gas vapor emissions crap that will lower the fuel capacity of your tank. Not by much but if you're not a cali resident I don't see why you would want a cali bike.

Deacon71 likes this.
  10. KevinD

KevinD Moderator
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    On two wheels
    Says the ex-Califonicator!

KevinD

11. fuck that!!!! Bikes are for the garage, not your butt cheeks.

12. Every one has a Fz1, go with a fz8 its only been in the states for 2011 and 2012 models, and they are badass, :)

13. Paradise Harley has one for sale in the used fleet.

It's red and has been race tuned.

503-924-7300

Tell then I sent you.

14. If it is at a dealer (New or used) and they do not have a Oregon dealer license, you may find yourself paying 8% state sales tax because you are picking it up in there state.
    To avoid paying the tax you have to have the bike shipped and take delivery in Oregon.

15. DGA

DGA Moderator
    Staff Member

Don't you pay the sales tax when you register the bike, just as you would do for a car?

16. Yes, but if you take delivery in California, the bike will need to be registered before it can leave the shop, if this dealer is a Oregon dealer, then he can register in with Oregon. But California has been going after internet sales and if you take possession in there state, they want the tax money.

A Privet sale you can ride off with the signed pink slip and register it when you get home. If the state wanted to collect, it would fall on the seller if California wanted to collect the tax.

But he said it's a a business and that means he would either have to pay the tax of have it shipped out of state and take delivery outside of California.