I don't care about power, but I do want smoothness.....

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by blakegaston, Oct 14, 2012.

1. blakegaston

blakegaston
    Expand Collapse

I know my experience is the main culprit, and seattime will ultimately be the biggest investment, but perhaps there are a few modifications that can help me along my way.

I've posted threads before inquiring about throttle smoothness, and things of that nature. The main problem I have right now is going through 0% throttle to 1%. The initial crack, and getting back on throttle after letting off is very difficult for me, because of the jerk due to drivetrain slack, or whatever.

Any mods to help alleviate this? Would it be a waste of money, or would a ECU reflash, a tune, or PCV help at all? What about sprockets.. maybe going the opposite direction and sacrificing acceleration for a bit more smoothness? I honestly don't know. I'm still learning mechanically, and in practice. I don't really know many people who ride. I usually learn through trial and error, but unfortunately, with my bike, error could mean death, so online forums are all I got.

Again, I don't care about power. My 600 is plenty fast for me, albeit I ride very conservatively. I just want dat smooooooth.

Thanks for all the information / suggestions.

2. Furious Coder

Furious Coder
    Expand Collapse

Shaft drive?

3. Deven

Deven
    Expand Collapse
    Dee-von White

practice

4. Adjust your throttle cables.
    I bet that's it.

5. blakegaston

blakegaston
    Expand Collapse

I do, but I get scared. Especially manipulating throttle in a corner. I am trying to pick up a Ninja 250. I think it will be a very good bike for me... I rode my friends and the throttle was very forgiving, and I could focus on BP in corners. I cornered faster on the ninjette and got lower than I ever have on my gix. That being said, a large part of that is because on my gix, I get scared and don't want to ride outside of my comfort level. I also wouldn't like the ninja for city riding, as I do like spirited pulls now and then.

6. blakegaston

blakegaston
    Expand Collapse

I tried this, adjusting the TPS, and adding a TRE. Unfortunately nothing helped. I am going to try to have the bike serviced at KFG this week, and I'll ask them their thoughts on how the throttle is adjusted.

7. TamiJean

TamiJean
    Expand Collapse

practice is really the main key in my opinion. But Bazzaz does make add on traction control systems coupled with their fuel management and quickshift. Spendy but could be what you are looking for.

8. Khustla

Khustla
    Expand Collapse

Holy shit, rocking whooliez in corners on a twofiddy???

Change your sprockets, lose the torque and tune your air/fuel.

9. Gotama

Gotama
    Expand Collapse
    WMRRA 1st VP

I Ride:
    a lawnmower
    go talk to nels
    http://2wheeldynoworks.wordpress.com/

10. DullJack

DullJack
    Expand Collapse

11. Gotama

Gotama
    Expand Collapse
    WMRRA 1st VP

I Ride:
    a lawnmower
  12. UhOh

UhOh
    Expand Collapse

Inspect your chain slack. Maybe it's loose.
    GSXR's, at least my 1000, spec chain slack at 0.8 - 1.2 inches.

Adjust yours, or have a shop do it, close to the minimum;
    be aware that the chain tightens up fast at the end vs. fractional turn.

13. james1300

james1300
    Expand Collapse
    Track School Dazed

Have you adjusted your throttle cables? Got any slack out of them? Lubed them and the clutch cable (if you have one) as well?

14. stickxb

stickxb
    Expand Collapse

I'm surprised the TRE didn't work. I had the same problem with my 2007, 750.
    Installed the TRE and smooth as butter after that.

15. Pvster

Pvster
    Expand Collapse

Yup, practice. If you're having to deal with 0-1% throttle openings in the corners, you're doing it wrong I hate to say. You do NOT want to enter a corner off throttle. At least maintain steady throttle to hold a consistent speed, or apply light throttle. Also try bumping up another gear before entering a corner. It sounds like you need to work on better throttle management more than body positioning right now.

16. theJrod

theJrod
    Expand Collapse
    Racer Extraordinaire

Another +1
    The late model gixxer 6s are known for having a bit of an abrupt on-off throttle transition. A PC and a tune can help significantly. Nels can even do a tune without the power commander.

17. A41Billy

A41Billy
    Expand Collapse

You could get a PC or a G2 throttle tube. The rest is up to you practicing. Use that throttle like a surgeon.

18. Wyckedan

Wyckedan
    Expand Collapse

I Ride:
    RSV4 Factory
    Aye, talk to Nels. He's a wealth of knowledge on what mods do on most every bike. There might be a simple ecu adjustment. But if you're having trouble transitioning from off to the smallest input, you need more seat time. 600's are so forgiving so far down in the power band, there's really not much to worry about. You're most likely not going to highside a 600 going from 0% throttle to 1%.

19. YOUNG HEART 750

YOUNG HEART 750
    Expand Collapse

Have you tried your other power modes? If not, give that a try in addition to proper chain and throttle adjustment. The C mode should be mellow enough to take out some of the on/off throttle issues. Once you have mastered that try moving up to the B and A mode.

20. blakegaston

blakegaston
    Expand Collapse

The jerky feeling happens regardless of mode. Could nels tune me different tunes that I could select via the mode switch?