close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I need something welded

Discussion in 'Vancouver' started by galenernest, Jan 20, 2012.

1. galenernest

galenernest I bathe with candles, flowers, jazz music, and rub

Hi everyone,

I need a chunk of frame (a fairing stay mount... nothing structural) welded back on. I want someone who can do the job on site... I don't want to load the motorcycle up into a pickup if I can avoid it.

The welder should be experienced. The weld job is close to the steering stem bearings. I don't want it to get hot enough to ruin the bearings. It's an aluminum frame, by the way.

My cell is 360-991-8082. Text or call me any time.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012

2. galenernest

Aluminum.

3. Aluminum drinks heat like ice water on a hot day. If it's thick, it usually likes to be pre-heated. You might consider replacing the bearing or at least repacking them afterward depending on how much welding you're doing.
    Good luck.

4. I found a key in my tank bag that you might be interested in, it's probably to one of my old bikes but it might be worth a try if you haven't :secret:

You want an aluminum wire feed weld for that repair in the frame...like C11s said tig heats a bunch, better off to pull the bearings and get the stronger weld. Make sure the fuel tank is removed as well. (kind of obvious I know, but I thought it bears mentioning.)

5. galenernest

Heh... I actually hadn't thought about the fuel tank. I guess I'll pull the bearings then.

I had a key made for the ignition the day I took the bike home. I stopped by Curly's and they cut the key in their parking lot.

6. Awesome, Hows the project coming along besides the fairing stay? Did it still start and run?

I don't know if you have read up on it but the electrical systems are pretty finicky, an old battery can take down your rectifier and the OEM Honda systems tend toward molten wires when it happens, it seems almost all gens of VFR's do this. Lot's of info on VFR forums, and some Saavy guys on this forum that are willing to walk you through it. Not that I thought about buying a VFR or anything lol.

7. galenernest

I pulled the battery out when I got it home. It's getting a new one before I do anything else. I ordered the headlight for it today on eBay... $220. It's the second one I've seen in months. I was holding out for a better price, but they are so far and few between that I went ahead and snatched it.

I'm going to order the fairings from China when I get my tax return. I thought about just picking them up and taking them back on an airplane when I go back to save shipping and haggle the price down a bit, but I don't want to wait until summer to get my bike on the road. :) $500 shipped.

The gauge cluster is going to be another $200 or so. I might try to make the one I've got work, but it's pretty banged up.

That leaves the chunk to be welded on, a new battery, new tires, bending the fairing stay back into shape, new coolant, oil, brake fluid, etc... and off I go :) With any luck, I should be done by spring.

8. The Zed is in need of new tires, The GSXR is rideable now, I'd like to have the suspension tuned before I ride it a bunch, I'm shedding #'s so I'm going to hold off until the riding season is upon us. I look forward to putting my knees in the wind with you again, it's been too long. I'd love to do a long wekend ride with the old gang.

9. galenernest

I'm going to miss most of the summer season. Well, I might ride a scooter! But I will be getting back home by late August/early September in time for my second annual campout/ride! :)

You need to come along this time!

10. galenernest

BUMP... can someone recommend a welder? I'd like to get this done soon.

11. When Its come to electrical VFR stands for Very Frequently Rrepair. Add a ground wire every where you can, clean all connectors, and check the Stator. Doesn't matter what year if It's a VFR.

12. I found Accurweld did pretty good work on some old expansion chamber I had (quality wise). Like courier said, might be wise to keep the bearing in place and then replace after welding...thinking that the bearing will at least have the aluminum hold its shape?

I remember a guy welding tabs on my aluminum 88 gsxr frame right on the headstock there...no problems. don't think you'll have much to worry about. This was w/ the whole bike together...some numbnut cut off ALL the tabs. ended up putting in a very light Buell XB9R headlight.

Went to the Camas/Washougal location.. would go there again. pretty decent work. check the alum fabrication link in the left side of homepage.

http://accurweld.com/

P.S> not sure if he's mobile, but easy enough to call him to find out.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  13. galenernest

Thanks for the info and suggestion, guys. I just got off the phone with Accurweld. They can't do mobile service for me. So, it looks like I need to remove the front end of the bike and somehow haul it into the shop. That's going to be the tricky bit.

I emailed the new fab shop Lena suggested so maybe they can do in home service...

Meanwhile, I still can't find a gauge cluster. :)

14. You got a van galen?

we got a wells cargo trailer that we just emptied out mostly (just a mattress in there). we got the wheel chocks that slip in place if you want to keep the front end.

you can borrow the the trailer and haul it to the place...that is if you have a hitch....We just don't have a hitch to haul or I'd offer to tow it myself.

you are welcome to borrow the trailer though.

PM if interested.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  15. galenernest

Thanks, Kevin. My little brother has a pickup truck we can use if necessary. I am just not thrilled with the idea of moving the bike around without the front end on it... Any way I slice it, it's going to be a pain in the ass.

16. We also have this stuff and some spare plywood (throw over dolly).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  17. galenernest

Thanks for the suggestion, Kevin. I took my bike in yesterday and he welded my frame mount for me while I waited! He wanted me to leave it and come back since he was working on someone's boat, but I didn't want to have to make two trips with a borrowed pickup.

The boat owner, a big Hawaiian guy, took such interest in my bike that he was distracted from his boat just long enough for the welder to get my bike done.

:)

18. Yeah when are we finally getting the Zeds together? :scratchea