Idaho rental laws?

Discussion in 'Pullman / Moscow' started by Plummy, Jan 30, 2008.

1. In particular, anyone know the mold disclosure off-hand? I know WA has one, but there wasn't anything in my lease for ID.

Even a link is fine, I just haven't searched for it yet.

2. koorbloh

koorbloh Je Fa Fa

I Ride:
    dirty bikes!
    you have mold in that place?

shit...

you can have my place if I move!

3. I have a leak that hasn't been addressed. I've tried to contact them twice this week about it, haven't heard anything back. Technically they've known since June when I did the move-in inspection.

The drywall is beyond fubared. My floor is soaking wet and is now starting to stink. The leak goes all the way down to the garage where the drywall is also wet in the upper corner. Had to move my bed to the other bedroom because I will stop breathing in the presence of mold (there's a family joke that I'm the mold-detector...stick me in a room for five minutes and if I can't breathe by then, there's mold).

Someone was supposedly here last month because my neighbor had water dripping down on our connecting wall in the same spot that I had my leak. I didn't think it was still active cause it had been relatively dry.

Saturday evening, I walk into my bedroom to see this (which is now about 2.5 ft from the bottom of the floor):
    [​IMG]

4. Yeah, that would be a leak in the roof.

I can't believe they haven't done anything yet...perhaps you should email them the picture, and if you want to be an ass cc: it to the local codes enforcement authority. Add in a visit to the ER because you "stopped breathing" and they will be bending over backwards to avoid a lawsuit.

5. maidenjade

maidenjade Karma Rules!

There's a law that indicates that a landlord has to maintain a rental unit in a "liveable" condition. Read your lease and see what it says.

If after a certain time frame (check the ID laws please) and the landlord/owner still fails to repair it, you can get someone (licensed) to estimate the cost, send him/her a copy of the estimate and then pay for the repair yourself if he/she does not respond. Just make sure it's in writing. He/She should reimburse you or take it out from your rent.

Document your phone calls.

6. I did email them that picture as my first contact to let them know, hey...someone needs to get on this asap. Then no one called me the next day, so I called and left a message. The shitty thing is that I'm unavailable during their business hours.

I'll turn into a bitch by Friday if they haven't contacted me about it. I'm going to ask for a lot of shit to be replaced and may go to the doc to get better allergy medication cause even with two benadryl, I still can't breathe. And my chest is starting to hurt throughout the day with a cough. Fuggin lame.

I might get my dad on it to call them and pester the shit out of them for me.

7. See, that's where I know the WA law is like that, I'm just too retarded to find the ID law. And it states nothing about liveable conditions in my lease. The lease is pretty sparse as it is and all it states is that I should contact them in a reasonable time, blah blah blah. Told my mom last night that if they continue to ignore me, I will just eat the cost of getting it repaired and then send the landlord the bill and tell them to pay me back. Via small claims court if I have to.

8. Office of Attorney General
    700 W. Jefferson Street
    P.O. Box 83720
    Boise, ID 83720
    Phone (208) 334-2400
    Fax (208) 334-2530
    http://www2.state.id.us/ag/
    A .pdf published by them (download)

Commission on Human Rights
    450 West State Street
    Boise, ID 83720
    208-334-2873

Idaho Fair Housing Council
    310 North 5th Street
    Boise, Idaho 83702
    800-717-0695
    Fax: 208-342-2561

From this link: http://www2.state.id.us/ag/consumer/tips/landlordtenant.pdf

The landlord has an obligation to provide reasonable waterproofing and weather protection, and to provide premises that are not hazardous to the health and safety of the tenant. A landlord also has the duty of installing approved smoke detectors. A landlord, who provides electrical, plumbing, heating, ventilating, cooling or sanitary facilities, must maintain them in good working order. City codes generally require that most of these services be provided.

TENANT'S REMEDIES
    If a landlord fails to provide reasonable water-proofing and weather protection, fails to provide premises that are not hazardous to health and safety of the tenant, fails to install approved smoke detectors, or does not maintain in good working order electrical, plumbing, heating, ventilating, cooling, or sanitary facilities which are provided, the tenant can require the landlord to provide the services. With one exception, the law in Idaho is not established as to whether the tenant has a legal right to withhold rent and/or to complete the repairs and then seek reimbursement from the landlord, but it appears that such rights do not exist. The exception is with respect to the installation of smoke detectors. Idaho Code § 6-320(a)(6) authorizes a tenant, after providing three-day notice to the landlord, to install the smoke detectors and deduct the cost from the tenant’s next month’s rent.

To require the landlord to provide the necessary services, the tenant must first give the landlord notice, in writing, listing each violation, and demanding that the violations be cured. A copy of this notice must be delivered to the landlord or agent personally, be mailed to the landlord or agent by certified mail, return receipt requested, or if the landlord or agent is absent from his usual place of business, be left with an employee at the usual place of business.

The landlord must be allowed three (3) days in which to cure the violation. If the landlord does not comply, a tenant can then institute a formal legal proceeding to require the landlord to cure the violations. The formal legal proceeding must proceed quickly. The trial must be held within twelve (12) days after the lawsuit is filed with the court, unless the tenant requests a later date.

The landlord must be given written notice of the action by being served with a copy of the summons and the complaint at least five (5) days prior to the court hearing. If the tenant prevails, the judge will order the landlord to fulfill his or her duties and may order the landlord to pay court costs and the tenant's attorney fees.

If the tenant has lost money or otherwise been injured as a result of the landlord's failure to fulfill his or her duties, the tenant may bring formal legal proceedings to recover a sum of money equal to actual damages. If the tenant prevails, the court has the authority to require the landlord to pay three (3) times the tenant's damages. The court may also require the landlord to pay court costs and the tenant's attorney fees. If the damages the tenant seeks are $5,000 or less, the action may be taken in small claims court.

9. Thanks, Johnny

10. koorbloh

koorbloh Je Fa Fa

I Ride:
    dirty bikes!
    attorney general....

I went to school with his kids.

if you need back up, I'll sick my mom on him...(news paper editor, lives across the street)

11. just get it done and then stop paying rent until your up to the cost of the repair. :mrgreen:

12. Nope. Bad idea. Read above.

With one exception, the law in Idaho is not established as to whether the tenant has a legal right to withhold rent and/or to complete the repairs and then seek reimbursement from the landlord, but it appears that such rights do not exist. The exception is with respect to the installation of smoke detectors. Idaho Code § 6-320(a)(6) authorizes a tenant, after providing three-day notice to the landlord, to install the smoke detectors and deduct the cost from the tenant’s next month’s rent.

13. not to mention withholding rent doesn't get my credit card paid (yeah, I could apply the rent to the card, but it's a lot easier to just have them reimburse me). I'm one of those people that would rather receive a reimbursement rather than try and withhold to make things even.

got my mom to overnight a letter to the office for me since I can't get to the post office (or the leasing office) until at least Saturday thanks to my awesomely lame schedule.

now who wants to help me with organic and water layers and what goes in what and when and stuff? :)

14. only if you help me with physics/differential equations/statistics/statics/ and calculus :) thankfully my last day at work is friday so I can get some sleep next week

I guess I take our awesome land lord for granted. If we had some crazy bubble in our wall he'd be here within a day(lives in cheney) or let us fix it and discount our rent

That bubble get to the floor yet? I would have had to pop it

15. It keeps drying out (I did poke it with my finger once), and then some stuff outside melts so it goes closer to the floor...dries out, etc. I think it's done with its course because of the soaking wet floor (that's what I'm most pissed about). As far as the landlord thing goes, they were awesome when I first got the place and took care of the other issues that I had and also gave me super-reduced rent the first month since I wasn't going to be here when the lease was signed. They just seem to be ignoring me now and I dunno if they think I'm over-exaggerating it or something? But I sent that photo...I dunno.

I got a D in physics when I took in in HI, but seem to be doing good in calculus. I just suck at labs. And making me write my own procedures and flow charts and stuff...gah. Brain explosion.

16. Plummy, who is your landlord? I may have some people who know other people who know their people...maybe I can get my people with their people and our people can do lunch?

Heck, it might even solve your problem by the time dessert rolls around...

17. Heh...Wheatland Property Management

Go figure, when I also said thanks for hiring the snow plow guy to clear out our parking area, he hasn't come back.

18. koorbloh

koorbloh Je Fa Fa

I Ride:
    dirty bikes!
    they don't have an emergency numba anymore?

seems like they did when I rented from them.

19. Ummmmm...it might be somewhere, but I know Jenell checks the voicemail and stuff after-hours. I'll end up calling them in a few hours when I know someone SHOULD be answering the phone and be like...yo...this is the suck.