close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Idea I have had but never seen attempted

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by WaGigKPN, Oct 31, 2012.

1. I loved my XR650L but disliked the lack of power and the constant Thumping...

I thought it would be a great platform to put a CBR600F4i engine in it! I tried searching and couldn't find anyone who put a 600 inline 4 engine in a dirt bike frame...

Things that i can think of that would need to be addressed:
    Engine mounts/fitting engine in frame
    Shuring up the frame to handle the extra weight/power
    Transmission/gearing due to higher rpm and extra power. (maybe addressed by different sized sprockets?)
    Lining up the sprockets

With the open layout of a dirt bike frame i would think this would be doable...People to it to quads and go carts and those have less room to work with...

I doubt a small person would be able to handle such a beast but at 6'7'' and 300lbs i think i could handle it...

2. shelbyguy

shelbyguy Picture Whore

answer-

husaberg fs570 with big bore

3. Didn't realize they could make a single cylinder put out like an inline 4...

4. hill climbers do it all the time.

[​IMG]

5. Thank you! Avb! Kinda surprised it wasn't a BMW bike you posted...

Any video's of one of these beasts in action?

6. BMW riders have more sense

7. Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  8. Yeah...That hit the spot on a rainy Wednesday...I want one...

9. shelbyguy

shelbyguy Picture Whore

the big bore 570 motor will make damn near same hp +/- 15hp, chances are same if not more tq

(than a 600f4i motor)

10. I seriously want to do this...If i make lots of money i am doing this...

Not for hill climb tho...just a fun trail machine! maybe even make it a daily driver...

11. I've never been on a trail of any sort, where I was like "man, I need 100 hp, but all at the top, and make my bike heavier and wider too"

but, I don't really get to ride all that much, so maybe I'm unique?

12. There is no way to get near the power of an inline 4 with a single. And when you try your reliability will go right out the window. I ride quads in the dunes and have built so many big bore, ported, custom cammed, etc motors and just when they start to get fast they will blow up very quickly. I learned my lessons and put a GSXR fuel injected motor into my latest quad and let me tell you 160 HP is absolutely ridiculous offroad.

13. do you weigh 300 lbs and dirt bikes feel like bmx bikes to you?

And Yes, When i had my XR off road i was thinking i wanted high rpm power...

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  14. 6'4" 250, so. basically, yes

15. Chicken! :nana

16. KevinD

KevinD Modulator Staff Member

You're not (unique, in this sense, anyway.)

I think the increased size & weight would offset any advantages on the trail.

KevinD

17. Totally agree that on tight technical trails it would not improve the performance...

who am i to say it will have any advantage over a regular dirt bike at all!???

If i had one i would use it as a dual sport...maybe SM...That's what i tried with my XR but lack of street power and vibration (even with street tires on it) made commuting a nightmare! Made me think if that bike had an inline 4 it would be my dream bike.

18. 6'7" 300 pounds? Damn, I can see why you'd definitely want something more.

19. theJrod

theJrod Racer Extraordinaire

There's almost no room for the radiator, and most hillclimb bikes run without the rad since they only run for 30 seconds at a time (or they use aircooled engines).

IMO, the 650L is a very tame bike. ANY of the newer, high performance dirt bikes will give you the oomph you're looking for. A 4-cyl streetbike engine still won't have instance throttle response and low-mid torque that any 500+cc Husky/Husa/KTM will give you.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012