illegal ice on roadway

Discussion in 'Kitsap' started by staffordworks, Nov 26, 2012.

1. well it should be, weather channel sucks, 35 and 31 are not the same, need a more reliable source for temp check before I roll, unless someone has sharks with lasers on their friggen heads I can mount to my bags to clear the road :ninja:

2. Gotama

Gotama WMRRA 1st VP

I Ride:
    a lawnmower
    try sticking your head out the window in the morning before you ride
    works for me 90% of the time
    there was that one time that this method had failed me
    [​IMG]

3. That'l work fine when it goes way under but I live on an island and end up a ways inland as i go, the way the temp likes to hover in the low 30s around here there will be a lot of days like today where it was warm enough til I was 3/4 the way through the commute.

4. james1300

james1300 Track School Dazed

If there is FOG, there is a greater chance of ice and black ice(the crap ya can't see)!

5. I didn't know "the rock" permitted ice...

6. Texasl

Texasl Moderator
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    2007 Moto Guzzi Norge, 1988 H-D (Project) Electra-Glide
    If it's designer ice it's okay. :secret:

BTW, did you get another jacket (silver patterened)? Thought I saw you coming through Gorst Saturday (11:30). Yellow CBR, jeans, and work boots. :roll:

7. I don't... I do permit snow though... and lots of it:thefinge:

8. Funny guys!

9. Not me... I better make sure the bike is still where it should be... :shock:

10. davidk

I Ride:
    2001 Ducati ST4
    Be nice now -
    Stafford is only "permitted" and may not know the RULES!!

In other words - Hold ON!!

And yes - Only Designer Latte' Ice is permitted on the Island - and ONLY on Thursdays!!

DavidK

11. :angry7:

no excuse not to come on Sunday!!!

12. ooooh you were talking about brain damage island when you said " the rock" thats funny, I used to live on Kodiak Island where we really called it that, bit more true there, lot of time of the year you aint leaving, yuppie rock is barely and island, us non-yuppies like to call it "gateway to suquamish" :)

13. late to the party, but black ice can form up to 37*F so frankly any sub 40* riding should be taken up with some care ;)

14. This is my rule of thumb. Below 40, I assume I will encounter ice. Approach shaded areas and/or wet pavement with extreme caution.

15. GRN

GRN

IMO, in this climate, a forecast for 35 is exactly like a forecast for 31... I'm going to expect ice. There is far too much environmental variability and moisture present around here... like others here, I consider anything below 40 a significantly elevated risk.

16. since this post I've been 'forced' for lack of an appropriate word to ride on knowingly icy day after icy day, down into the 20s, went slower, pulled over for cages and just did my best, i'd skip it if i could afford to but it was not as bad as I thought. I feel safer having had the confidence to push it a little, no longer panic when i see frost but I'm very vigilant, every dark patch of pavement is surely black ice and I ride around or over it accordingly.