Is this caused by braking???

Discussion in 'Track Time' started by Philiminilli, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Just wondering if this picture is the result of hard braking into turn 5 or if it is just the bumpy nature of Pacific:).

[​IMG]

2. cobra525

cobra525 WMRRA Sportsman of the year

there is a hump at the apex, there is no braking in T5.

3. +1 on the hump....but, if you look really close, Eli might be dragging a little front brake there too. :scratchea At the pace that guy goes into T5, I'd be dragging some brake too.... okay, a LOT of brake! :shock:

Such a sick picture from Darren there!

4. I very very much agree :mfclap:

5. On the gas up to about middle of the hill.

Trail just ever so slightly through T5.
    Unweight for the bump using your legs.
    Bike bounces a little, I think my rear stays on the ground, but it definitely moves.
    I run stiffer springs but I am much fatter than Eli (by 70lbs)

Roll on prior to T6.

Trail and turn hard for T6 and set up for T7.

6. cobra525

cobra525 WMRRA Sportsman of the year

Zoom in on the pic, he is just covering....

7. I did that move there in the rain and got to learn about instant two wheel lowsiding.crackup:

8. theJrod

theJrod Racer Extraordinaire

The bump is significant enough at speed that you'll catch a little air.

I think in this specific shot, Eli got a little out of shape entering the corner, so this isn't typical.
    I'm usually off the brakes by then, and back on the throttle and my front tire catches a little air. But Eli's much much faster than me - I wouldn't be surprised if he brakes that late...

#8 theJrod, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  9. Thanks for all the replies! I know I personally am way to slow into that corner!

10. mjn

mjn Forum Admin
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    '05 Busa, '81 Seca 550, '78 Hawk, '69 Z50A
    +1 !!

11. This explains why you are slow there.... :thefinge:

12. Who are you?
    why are you here?

I was really looking forward to kicking your ass at The Ridge, but something happened....

Oh yeah, you totaled the shop bike in practice...:thefinge:

and double:thefinge:

Now go away, continue building your miniature crystal chi Wawa collection (or whatever has beens do) and leave this forum to racers.

(the first liar never has a chance, we missed you at Scotties memorial)

13. Allister, are you saying you don't brake much for T5? Do you coast the hill after closing throttle? I feel I have to brake substantially, which also upsets suspension. Tell me more...

#13 Mike23, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  14. I think the conclusion here (or at least what I've learned) is that braking is for pussies

15. LOL!! Always fun when Allister has had a double shot of his metamucil in the morning, it means we get a double shot of the crap he spews.

I'll actually consider listening to you once you quit riding that liter bike like a little girl... until then all I hear is blah blah blah I'm a little girl blah blah blah... :thefinge:

(I really wanted to make it but couldn't get out of work and couldn't make it down to Smarty Pants afterwards. We'll have to grab some beers soon! Missed you at the banquet)

16. You don't need to brake for 5 near as much as most people do (especially Allister..), it's usually 1 to 2 downshifts up the hill while braking and then turn in.
    The trick is that as soon as you turn in for 5 you need to get back on the gas. The bike will deal with dip at the top of the hill much better if you're on the gas versus neutral throttle. If done correctly you should have enough speed you end up having to trail brake into 6.

Work up to it slowly as 5 and 6 can both bite back.

Have fun!

17. PeteN95

PeteN95 Moderator
    Staff Member

What Mike said! I usually grab one gear coming into 5, back on the gas across the apex, then grab one more downshift and trail into 6. One thing a lot of people do is try to turn too much out of 5 and get way over the left, you do not need to do this. Let the bike run out to the right out of 5 near the edge, then ease back over a little to the left, but you don't need to be farther than the center of the track when you turn into 6.

18. theJrod

theJrod Racer Extraordinaire

Turn 5 isn't even a real turn. It's more of a jump. Just bubba-scrub some speed by pushing the front a little, then gas it over the single jump. Whip the back out in the air, land a bit sideways. This will set you up to back it in to T6.