close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Legislative Changes? License and Registration in WA and OR

Discussion in 'Scooters and Mopeds' started by ancutte, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Hi! I'm new but I did quite a bit of searching first. Hopefully I'm not duplicating...

I live in Portland, OR and my BF is in Vancouver, WA. He rides a few various scooter/moped type "vehicles", so we've been trying to clarify the laws between the states regarding any driver's license and/or registration requirements. Below is what I've collected and am looking for verification of my understanding. I also have a question to follow...

OREGON

Definition:
    Moped= 35 - 49 cc, 30 mph max
    Scooter (electric or gas)= 1000 watt / 35 cc max, 24 mph max

Requirements:
    Moped-- registration, class C license, AND insurance
    Scooter-- requires nothing but should be driven in the bike lane/path at 15 mph max (scooter can be capable of up to 24 mph but can't be riden faster than 15 mph).

WASHINGTON

Definition:
    Moped= 49 cc and 30 mph max
    Scooter (MFS - Motorized Foot Scooter)= handlebars and two 10" or smaller wheels

Requirements:
    Moped-- registration, class C license, but NO insurance
    Scooter-- requires nothing but needs reflectors if driven at night.

So, basically, those folks who were riding mopeds and scooters because they had revoked or suspended licenses are going to have a tougher time. Are the laws confusing and/or newly changed enough for the police to be giving folks a break? My BF is one of those unlicensed moped drivers and I'm a little worried. His bike has valid registration stickers on the license plate from when he bought it, so maybe he's safe? Safe-ish? Thanks for any comments/corrections/advice you may have!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  2. RedKat600

RedKat600 Vintage Screwball Staff Member

Your definitions are wrong here, BTW. You left out wheel size and the fact that it has to have pedals for mopeds in Washington.

Really, call your DOL or DMV for this as they can tell you best.....

49cc and up Scooters require an endorsement in Washington.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012

3. HueJass

HueJass Retired

In WA, anything that goes over 30mph, regardless of displacement, requires a motorcycle endorsement. Hence, you will be able to take your riding test on a 49cc "motorcycle", since it is classed as such. No need for insurance.

Feel free to confirm with WSP.

4. FYI - Washington State does not have a DMV.

Washington State motor vehicle laws are contained within Title 46 of the Revised Code of Washington.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?Cite=46

5. I love it when people want to point this out. WA did. Anyone referring to the DMV is probably just older than you.

6. GRN

GRN

Or from another state, as most do have a DMV.

7. GRN

GRN

Interesting. I sub contract for the DOL doing endorsement training and testing and have never heard the velocity metric, only the displacement metric.

8. Several laws RCWs apply to this conversation. There is a FAQ sheet for mopeds and motorcycles (which includes most scooters) available on the WA State Patrol FAQ page.
    Motorcycle: http://www.wsp.wa.gov/traveler/docs/equipmt/motorcycle.pdf
    Moped: http://www.wsp.wa.gov/traveler/docs/equipmt/moped.pdf

Legally required vehicle equipment and rider equipment may vary.

Please note that although WA does not 'require' insurance for motorcycles, the financial responsibility law does apply. SO if involved in a crash, you may be required to post (upto) a 60k bond... and be financially obligated for damages/medical costs. (Without insurance, this could be out-of-pocket.)

DOL (Department of Licensing) has a bunch of info available on the www.EndorseYourSport.com page(s). WSP (WA State Patrol) also has info.

Inform yourself... ride aware... consider the consequences of actions/choices....
    BE SAFE!
    :) KM

9. RedKat600

RedKat600 Vintage Screwball Staff Member

I probably fall under this. I remember a DMV and a DOL. One for registering cars the other for getting your license. 17 years ago it was like this.