LO Police Motorcycle Bursts into Flames

Discussion in 'Portland Region' started by ashfoot, Oct 8, 2012.

1. ashfoot

I Ride:
    from cloud to cloud
    Wow this is insane!

Source: http://www.katu.com/news/local/Fire-destroys-Lake-Oswego-police-motorcycle-173155021.html

LAKE OSWEGO, Ore. -- Investigators are trying to determine how a Lake Oswego police motorcycle caught fire on Sunday afternoon.

The fire started when a Lake Oswego police officer was on a traffic stop at the intersection of McVey Avenue and Laurel Street in Lake Oswego around noon on Sunday.

The officer heard a strange noise from his motorcycle. When he looked over to the bike, he saw flames coming from the front of it, according to Lake Oswego Deputy Fire Marshal Gert Zoutedijk.

The officer immediately grabbed the only two things he could from the bike -- the radar gun and saddle bags.

Lake Oswego firefighters arrived within two minutes of being alerted, but the bike was completely engulfed in flames.

Investigators have not determined an exact cause, but think the fuel in the gas tank contributed to the rapidly spreading flames.

[​IMG]

2. Bald Guy

Bald Guy Cone Head

Those Hondas are HOT!

3. If he left the bike on could it have overheated?

4. ashfoot

I Ride:
    from cloud to cloud
    heh ya the fire department got there in 2 min because they are no more than 2000 feet away lol.

5. Leaking fuel line near exhaust or hot part of the motor is my guess

6. “Investigators have not determined an exact cause, but think the fuel in the gas tank contributed to the rapidly spreading flames.”

[​IMG]

And the No Shit Sherlock Award for Outstandingly Coverage of the Obvious goes to …….

7. I wasn't in Lake Oswego and you can't prove a thing! :mrgreen:

Just a guess, but did Beaverton Honda recently service it? Fanning the flames...

#7 jlburgess, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
    chevybutcher likes this.
  8. Plus Juan. Speed may not have been a factor!

9. Pig fat is highly flammable

10. It's a Honda ST1300PA according to KATU comments. An ex-Honda anyway.

11. Did he finish the ticket he was writing for you or tell you to GTFO?

12. Stv360

+1

13. yikes... At least he wasn't riding it when it combusted.

14. I'm glad that he wasn't hurt. I don't wish ill will on anybody (who doesn't deserve it)...

15. I think it would be more related to the equipment that has been installed on the bike. Not the brand of the motorcycle.

16. klavdy

Of all things, he had to grab the radar gun.
    Hmm, guess they'll need it to raise some money for the insurance excess or a new bike.

17. Darn ...... no BBQ'd Bacon !New Honda slogan " You meet the nicest people watching a Honda burn to the ground " !