close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Look out guys....

Discussion in 'Olympia' started by impact, Nov 21, 2013.

1. This. Recent first hand experiance.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

2. If the Baja kit made it in from the supplier's warehouse, the project will be done and out the door by tomorrow evening or Wednesday. So stoked.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013

3. It is done.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Attached Files:

4. Holy crap, I didn't realize that the tires you got were knobbies, those look about 90/10 dirt/street. Yeah, be VERY careful with those on pavement.

I copied this from adventure rider:

Friday I removed the Mefo Explorers from my KLR and mounted up a set of Dunlop D606s. Went for about a 250 mile ride yesterday with some friends (alas, no dirt) and found the D606s to be about the least confidence-inspiring tires I have ever used, at least on the street.

They made almost every corner on these paved goat trails feel like there was gravel there, even though there wasn't. They "hunted" and seemed to never be able to hold the line I intended, and I was riding *very* conservatively because the tires really had me spooked.

5. That's what the shop sold me. If these tires turn out to be shit, I will for sure take them back and hound them.

I did do a bit of riding around Olympia and Didn't see to have any problem, though. I haven't taken them out on dirt, yet.

Attached Files:

6. Just one thing after another with this bike. First it was the headcover formagasket, and now it's the copper gasket between the head and the case.:roll:

[​IMG]

7. D606s?

I have a rear on my drz400sm at the moment since I just went to a mx track. Also I go do trail rides fairly often.

The front is some popular mx tire... Ill post in a bit I'm not to happy with it but it grew on me ill still change it out sooner or later.

Now the rear I hated at first. Don't even try to use your back brake it'll just lock like your on ice.

I lost a lot of street confidence which I wasn't surprised of I'm use to running slicks for sm.

Until one day I went on a trail ride and had a terrible time and was just heated as a hell. I asked the guy I was riding with if he knew how to get home and I flat ripped down the mountain covered in twistys.

I even ground peg at least twice.

Now would I recommend that no. But in my completely p**sed off rip I gained a lot of trust in these tires. Mainly the rear d606 the front I am using is terrible.

**If one spends all ones time avoiding potentially dangerous situations; one may die with an unblemished body, but also with a head full of regrets**

8. Daves929

Daves929 Bike Whore

It's been a while for me, but doesn't permit mean day only and no passengers?

:tard:

9. RedKat600

RedKat600 Vintage Screwball Staff Member

And a munched camshaft and cylinder head. Time for a new motor yo!

Either that or have the head machined for roller bearings and get a roller bearing cam. Probably cheaper to get a new motor.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  10. oh lawd that thing is gone!

11. I know, right? I've road it a bit since and have noticed an all around loss in power. I like the idea of the roller bearings; this engine is the original and has the 440cc sleeve. But, until I have money falling out of my saddlebag, I'm stuck with what I have :p

12. RedKat600

You've ridden it since that picture? I....what.....why....seriously?

Oh dear.....your engine is toast then. Plan on finding a new one to rebuild. All that metal from the head is going into the rest of the motor....the reason for loss of power is your cam is going flat and your rocker arm pads are probably just about gone by now. The cam is probably wobbling in the head....ouch.

MegaCycle can do the roller bearing cam and a local machine shop can machine the head to fit it. We did one on the vintage race bike.

13. It's sitting pretty snug and firm in its spot. I checked for play and there seems to be none. And as for the flecking, I drained the oil looking for it (I also have a magnetic plug) and found it. I changed the oil again and only found like two this time. It's bad, but it really seems like I lucked out as far as still being able to ride it, though.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  14. Dude, seriously, you should not ride that thing further. Your motor is going to keep getting worse. You are already hundreds of dollars damaged done, and you are in the way to bottom end damage or failure.

Also most low dollar dual sport kits don't have great headlights, mine doesn't either. They are marginal at night. Plus 606s will wear out sooooooo fast on pavement, as well as not having much grip there.

Not to bust your balloon, but you are heading for some serious repair, consider not making it worse.

15. RedKat600

That's because the cam chain and tensioner are holding it in place......with the engine running it's a different story. Have to remove the cam chain to check the camshaft.

16. The roller bearing idea was a no go, there isn't enough material on both sides of the head.

I found a donor bike in Yelm, the guy is gonna pull the top end for me ($100). If it's no bueno, then I'm just going to be up a creek with a very expensive lesson learned.

In the mean time, I WANT TO RIDE and I've got nothing. Back to where I started, just minus $1,200 *sourface*

17. OK. Swapped the heads out. Oil flush, new oil and new filter. Bike runs great except for the 92 octane being all that I could find today to gas it up.

I'm back on the road.

18. That s great to hear! :mfclap:

19. More than five trips between Grand Mound and Oly, and it still hasn't spring a oil squirt. There is a motorcycle god. I only had to sacrifice a head, it's matching cover, 8 liters of oil and a chain tensioner bolt.