close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

"Lowering" a DRZ

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by Oldschool72, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Hey guys, I'm looking to try and lower my DRZ400S. I'm about 6'2, but having a hard time with the height of my bike, mostly after I put new 50/50 tires on, they raised it 2 inches!! I've seen lowering kits, (dogbones) and I wanted to get your opinions on the safety and quality of them, IE, is it a good idea. Maybe other ideas? I softened my main shock a bit, and that kinda helped. I might want to remove it if I want to later, after I get used to the bike, so nothing permanent.

Should I soften my shock more?

Get a lowering kit?

Wear Heels?

Shut the F*ck up?

Thanks!:mrgreen:

2. KevinD

KevinD Modulator Staff Member

This...

Seriously, I wore thick-soled boots with my DRZ, and softened the rear a bit and that took care of things. I'm 6'0", and it's not a stretch once you get used to it (unless you've only a 30" inseam!)

KevinD

3. you are 6'2" and can't handle a (s)low dual sport?

4. Thanks [MENTION=31037]XSrcing[/MENTION]

And yes, most my height is torso.

I think I might look into thicker boots.

5. Softening the preload of your suspension will actually make you work harder in the rough parts. The kouba links will lower your bike between 1.5 and two inches while keeping preload where it needs to be. Then we can slide your forks higher in your triple clamps if the need arises.

6. I found OP.
    [​IMG]

I got to ride a standard seat height BMW F800GS around for some time - I think it has similar height "issues" as the DRZ (I have a 31" inseam). Whenever I stopped, I just had to slide over a bit, stop on one foot, other foot (i.e. the heel...) on the peg. I don't think it gets any easier for more dirt-oriented motorcycles as higher = better, I hear.

7. you can loosen your triple trees a bit and slide your forks up and lower the front an inch or two, thats what was dont with my versys you can also get a re-locator for your rear suspension (also done on my versys) in 6'2 and can flat foot and be off the bike lol

id avoid just softening your suspension that can cause reduced stability

8. Don't lower it, just get used to the new height imo

9. You can swap out a suspension link and raise the forks, but I would just get used to it. My 30" inseam jeans bunch up at my feet and sometimes end up under the heels of my shoes... That's how short I am, and I rode a WR250 for a couple years. You just get used to it.

10. Great suggestions everybody, thanks.

/Thread

11. Why lower it??? just get used to it, you should be tall enough :mrgreen:

12. KevinD

KevinD Modulator Staff Member

Not with a DRZ, you won't. You'll get maybe ½" before you hit the bars.

When I set the rear sag properly, my DRZ dropped about an inch in the rear.

KevinD