Lumbar Disc Microsurgery ?

Discussion in 'Central' started by Dlittle, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Dlittle

Dlittle
    Expand Collapse

Going in for this procedure tomorrow. L4-L5 herniated. Anyone have this procedure before ? How was your recovery ? How long has it been and how do you feel now ? Took a couple weeks off work to get better.

2. Cougar

Cougar
    Expand Collapse

Get better soon! I probably will be addressing this after my two new hips. Good luck to you!!!

3. motodave

motodave
    Expand Collapse

yep done this before about 8 years ago. week off work but still couldnt push bikes around for about 2-3 weeks, felt weird and strange to not have any more pain and was actually up and walking in 6 hours after surgery, doing laps around the nurse's station with my IV stand... they kicked me out of there 12 hours later...everyone is different though good luck!

4. Nyoface

Nyoface
    Expand Collapse

I had a lamenectomy done 10yrs ago for a buldging disc and stenosis on my
    L4-L5. The operation worked well for 4yrs and then the pain gradually came back. I have been putting off a spinal fusion for the last 3yrs and my riding has suffered. You should do well, just remember to do your core excercises.
    Oh yeah, you may not want to cough or sneez for the next week or two.

5. Dlittle

Dlittle
    Expand Collapse

Surgery went well. Home now backs a little stiff and sore but not to bad. Pain meds take care of pain pretty well.

6. mjn

mjn
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Admin
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    '05 Busa, '81 Seca 550, '78 Hawk, '69 Z50A
    Hope the recovery goes well!

7. Donato Duc

Donato Duc
    Expand Collapse

Extruded serveral pieces of L5/S1 disc. Micro surgery walking in 2hrs running in 2 wks. since surgery years ago numerous 10ks, 3 half Marathons and one full Marathon. Was I fortunate? Hell Yes! Is this the norm? No but not uncommon!

Follow doctors advise and do core excercises.

8. WRichStrom

WRichStrom
    Expand Collapse

Donato,
    I know this is off topic a bit but could you give some insight on the core exercises you had to do. Might help old timers like me avoid the surgery and anything to help strengthen our bodies is only going to be good for our motorcycle riding.

I finished a 6.8 mile leg of a marathon relay on this last Sunday and hope to run a half-marathon early next year, so I am interested in your core exercises.

Thanks in advance.

Strom

9. GS1200

GS1200
    Expand Collapse

I had a similar surgery 25 years ago. I have been great ever since and I feel the surgery site is the strongest part of my back. Everyone is different though.

10. UhOh

UhOh
    Expand Collapse

hope you've a swift recovery, and are out and about soon - posting up phototag and all...

11. Dlittle

Dlittle
    Expand Collapse

Thanks All !!!

#11 Dlittle, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  12. juanitotheclumsy

juanitotheclumsy
    Expand Collapse

Glad to hear of your successes. Ten years ago the doc told me I'd be fusing my neck by now (because of the pain), but my only problems so far are controlling arm numbness while I sleep, although I did have a weekend recently where I basically could only look straight ahead (because of the pain). As many of you say, the key is keeping up the strength, and since I've been very, very lazy this summer it seems to be paying me back. I'd rather not have my neck fused, as I expect it would impact my riding a bit. Time to get back to the gym, dammit.

13. RideSlow2004

RideSlow2004
    Expand Collapse

Ray Cage fusion, L4-L5, about 12 yrs ago. Working great. still working. (Dammit)

Hips are next, gonna research the Fixin You book. But still think hips are next. Replacement, that is.

14. NoQuarter#121

NoQuarter#121
    Expand Collapse
    WMRRA #2 Overall Points Champion

Had a discectomy same, same.

Feel great!

I raced 1 month after the surgery, which was too soon....
    But didn't crash, no drama.

Within 3 months I felt like a million $$$

Still rockin 2 years later.

I would just suggest follow the doctors recovery program, why risk it?
    I wouldn't again...