close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Machinest or Drillpress?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by Stv360, Aug 21, 2012.

1. I am very new to this site, so I apologize if this is not posted in the proper place. If this
    is the case please let me know the proper place.
    With that said, I am in the process of restoring a 79 Yamaha RD 400 Daytona. All the powder coating is complete and ready to begin some asselmbly. In my infinite wisdom, I failed to ask the powder coaters to plug the holes the swing arm bolt goes through. Now there is not enough clearance to put the swing arm bolt through. I looked into it and I need a clearance of .020, I don't want to do this with a hand drill as this is a pretty important for handling. Should I take it to a machine shop? If so, anyone know of a shop you trust?
    Thank you in advance for any help and information.

2. Michael of Burien likes this.

3. Perfect. I didn't know there is such a thing. Thank you very much!!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  4. K, well now that my question has been answered, should I delete the thread? Nobdy else really cares I'm pretty sure.

5. Dude that looks to be some stuff right there. I could have used it for my VFR prep. And reusable? Freaking fantasic.

6. The only ones who would care about it is anyone who wanted to repaint frames, wheels, tanks, forks etc. So no, don't delete the thread. Thats what makes this such a great place. The ability to search the knowledge and wisdom.

7. Okay cool, just didn't want to clog up the site. I know it is interesting to me, but would there be any interest if I started, I guess a blog?? About the restoration process and assembly? I'll be taking pics anyway. If there is interest, I'll be happy yo share the project as it progresses.

8. check this out.

https://pnwriders.com/projects/

9. Ah ha. Okay. Thank you very much for the help and not slaming me for my ignorance.

10. I've never seen that part of this site, enjoyable threads to read. Thanks for the link.

11. I've used regular brush-on paint stripper on powder with good results. Softened it up enough to scrape right off.

12. Is that .02 in inches or metric for clearance?
    if it's inches, that ain't gone work wuff a bucket of warm spit.
    If you want them holes to be in line, you might wanna think about takin it to someone that knows what the fuck they doin.
    Just sayin...

13. james1300

james1300 Track School Dazed

Listen to dragracer1951. He's very smart and works on bikes.

14. Again thank you all for your help and input. Kinda feel stupid asking questions that may be common knowledge to everyone else.
    I may have written it wrong, but the max play I should have is 2o thousand's of an inch. I think I will take the advice of getting this part done by a pro since it is a very important part of how the bike handles and feels. Can anyone reffer a shop they trust?

15. Are you talking about the hole in the swing arm or the hole in the frame?

If it is the frame we are probably talking about a thin piece of steel with a hole in that the swing arm bolt passes through? Why not take a razor knife and scrape the powder coat off? The stuff is not that hard to remove, jut feels like thick paint. Or maybe some 220 sand paper wrapped around a dowel? Powder coat does not hold up to abrasion worth a crap.

EDIT: Looks like the frame has pipe welded into it about 3/4" long on either side that the swing arm bolt passes through? Have any pictures of your problem?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012