Mounting a Gopro?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by Tiff, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Tiff

Tiff
    Expand Collapse

I was surprised with the bestest early birthday present ever today (my bday is Oct 3 but with all the local events/ride I've been planning/going to I guess it time time frame fit better). A Gopro Hero 2! I'm wanting some opinions on where/why is a good place to mount it on a helmet? Any pointers for other places to mount it? I'm super excited to get to play with it :)

2. GpGreen

GpGreen
    Expand Collapse

Supposedly it is illegal to have anything protruding from your helmet. I like the view from the helmet, just be warned that you could be pulled over. I like to mount mine with the 3M tame mounts so that the forks/wheel are in the shot. It can be pretty neat to see your suspension working so hard.

Some places I have liked but not tried myself:

-On the tank facing up at the rider
    -behind the rider facing back or forward
    -behind and on one side or the other of the rider facing forward

Play with it, experiment, have fun!

Enjoy your new toy!

3. twiget

twiget
    Expand Collapse

I did a 1,500 mile road trip a couple months ago with a GoPro mounted to my helmet. At 60mph and higher, you can definitely feel the extra wind resistance. After 8 or 10 hours on the bike, it can wear on you though. It's ok for short trips, but I don't recommend helmet mounting for hours long rides.

I started mounting the camera on the front of the bike, right under the windshield and I've had good luck with that. When I watch the videos from the front mounted position, I get a better sense of speed and just how far the bike is leaning over in the corners.

4. KevinD

KevinD
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    On two wheels
    Has anyone tried mounting one on your shoulder?

KevinD

5. bigbadbrad67

bigbadbrad67
    Expand Collapse

That was discussed in this thread. Someone had mentioned and linked the RCW that does not specify about anything protruding from the helmet.

Grats on getting your Bday presents over a month early Tiff, how'd you get that to happen!?

6. Solow89

Solow89
    Expand Collapse

I'll use mine on the chin of my helmet on the left and on the left mid fairing and the swing arm facing rear and lower right fairing like super low. And I got one facing me for those look at me moments. Tail section near exhaust sounds great but mounts are shitty due to plastic not as stable. Make sure the spots you put the mounts on are solid or your footage will be all jerky and useless

7. Wyckedan

Wyckedan
    Expand Collapse

I Ride:
    RSV4 Factory
    I prefer on the tail facing forward. Shows you what you're doing and what you're doing wrong. Front of the tank facing forward thru the windscreen is good too

8. Stringcheese

Stringcheese
    Expand Collapse

This is my favorite for track duty because you can see the speedo and tach. Not a great idea for street rides though unless you blur the speedo or upload a vid from a camera you "found" on the side of some twisty pavement. :ninja:

9. RickyBobby69

RickyBobby69
    Expand Collapse

Have a blast with it tiff. Can't wait to see videos of my clumsy ass from it later on.

10. lakewoodbean

lakewoodbean
    Expand Collapse

Mine is set facing back on the rearset or spool. Right off Speed channel if you have followers

11. MarvTravis

MarvTravis
    Expand Collapse

I Ride:
    Kawasaki ZX-14
    See the following from an earlier posting by "TWASTP":

The Washington RCW's (Revised Code of Washington) for helmet laws has the following excerpt -

(3) For purposes of this section, "motorcycle helmet" means a protective covering for the head consisting of a hard outer shell, padding adjacent to and inside the outer shell, and a neck or chin strap type retention system, with the manufacturer's certification applied in accordance with 49 C.F.R. Sec. 571.218 indicating that the motorcycle helmet meets standards established by the United States department of transportation.

When you look up the Federal Regulations for helmets, that describes the restrictions of the helmets. That is the law that restricts attachments to the helmets. Here is the post from the CFR's -

S5.5 Projections: A helmet shall not have any rigid projections inside its shell. Rigid projections outside any helmet's shell shall be limited to those required for operation of essential accessories, and shall not protrude more than 0.20 inch (5 mm).

So what is essential? Well, a camera such as a go pro, contour, or any other camera is not an essential item. As for the chatterbox and other communication devices, I think they fall under the following -

RCW 46.37.480 - Television viewers — Earphones - (3) This section does not apply to authorized emergency vehicles, motorcyclists wearing a helmet with built-in headsets or earphones as approved by the Washington state patrol, or motorists using hands-free, wireless communications systems, as approved by the equipment section of the Washington state patrol.

Are the chatterbox headsets approved by the state patrol? Not that I know of, but my interpretation is that it is a hands free device. As most things, it will come down to the officers discretion. If you are cited for the camera attached to the helmet, it will be for the Washington RCW 46.37.530 which references the Federal Regulation.

Here are the links -

Washington RCW's

Helmet Law - http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.37.530

Earphones - http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.37.480

Federal Regulation -

http://www.bikersrights.com/nhtsa/fmvss218.html (Look at section S5.5 Projections)

12. Tiff

Tiff
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for all the great advice :) being a photographer I'm very picky about my media >.< so all this is extremely helpful! I got lucky because I have some really amazing friends :)

13. firedad

firedad
    Expand Collapse

I Ride:
    meh
    I still call bullshit on that helmet law.

The way the federal law is written, it reads to me like a law dictating what a helmet is to the manufacturers. Not the consumers. Kinda like the tag on the pillows which nobody can take off until it's purchased.

14. SkiPunk11

SkiPunk11
    Expand Collapse

15. Debi

Debi
    Expand Collapse

On the Helmet is the best :mfclap: screw the Helmet law... the camera is not "FIXED" it is "TAPED" on... only reason the PoPo don't want you to have one is because you will have proof of how "SOME" will treat ya :mrgreen:

I've never had a problem wearing mine ;)

16. firedad

firedad
    Expand Collapse

I Ride:
    meh
    Ya, but you also have boobs. That'll get you out of a lot of things.... Right Tiff? Lol

17. RickyBobby69

RickyBobby69
    Expand Collapse

Ya...to include speeding tickets ...right tiff...should have got THAT on gopro!!!

18. FootNote

FootNote
    Expand Collapse

Personally I am not a fan of puting it on the helmet. Laws aside, not a fan of the vibration and shaky movment.

19. gfeero

gfeero
    Expand Collapse

I got some pretty good footage mounted on the chin bar of my helmet. I use it for training purposes, since there is a bad habit of not looking through the turn deep enough or early enough. Watching the footage has actually helped with improving the head turn.

However, for coolness factor, mounted on the highway bar of my cruiser is pretty good. Love the spokes when they appear to turn backwards!

20. shelbyguy

shelbyguy
    Expand Collapse
    Picture Whore

nightstand

j/k :stir:

courier11sec likes this.