My first real big ride.

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by bobbytheblack, Sep 29, 2012.

1. So I have decided after my deployment I am going to buy a new bike and after some getting used to it, take it on a trip cross country.

As of now the route goes from the NW > SOCAL > GA > NE > and reverse.

I just cant decide which bike I want to do to this with. I have decided on a Harley Fat Bob or Blackline, Ive sat on both and both feel comfortable. But I thought maybe some who have done this before would have better insight and maybe some tips to help.

2. shelbyguy

shelbyguy Picture Whore

busa or connie.

/thread

3. Juilin

Juilin Captain Pubic

You do realize you're going to get 1000 different responses. Take what you're comfortable with, a trip like that isn't about the bike. People have done it on bicycles, unicycles, and foot.

Probably want something that can take luggage. ;)

4. take them for a 50 mile ride before you decide. I've sat on many a bike that 'feel' comfortable while your in the showroom, only to be miserable bastards once I'm out on the road.

5. Juilin

Juilin Captain Pubic

I left this out of my first post. Thank you very much for your service.

6. Just things to think about that might influence your bike choice - size, luggage capacity, range on a tank of gas could make one bike a better choice than another depending on how YOU plan to travel.

Is this going to be primarily camping, or staying in hotels/motels?

Mostly on the interstates, or getting on backroads and exploring as you go?

How much advance planning/reservation making will you do?

What time of year will this occur?

Whatever your choice, DO take an EXTENDED test ride before you lay your money down - what feels comfortable for 30-40 miles may not be when you get to 300-400 miles. :scared

7. Sit up. Leaning over handlebars for that long won'tfeel so good toward the end.

8. Harleys are built for road trips. Either of those will work fine. Mine is a Dyna & consecutive 500 mile days are a pleasure, not a torture as they would be on lesser bikes.

9. lot of climate variation in that route, regardless of the season.
    So I'd get a used FJR1300, proven reliability, have electric up/down windscreen, hardbags.
    Won't leave you stranded side of road. Mileage shouldn't matter much, imo - local one has 75,000 on it.
    Do your trip, if like then keep; if not sell for $500 less.