close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My first ride on my new R6

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by JozeyR, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Since i got my r6 i always kept an open mind as to wether or not it's worth me getting another cheaper bike(not necessarily less power) just so i could thrash it around a bit more without having such a mint bike to risk fuking up... what do you guys recon? There's an 05 zx6r for $2800 in my area, that's kinda what i'd be looking for.. but that zx6r had overheating problems so i dunnoo

2. PeteN95

PeteN95 Moderator Staff Member

I would look for a Dual sport bike. They are lighter and have less power, but you'll learn a lot and you can go off road, which is a great place to learn at lower speeds without cars.

3. Yeah off-road riding on trails and that is something i'd like to too but some of the dual sport's i've seen are priced higher than just the regular dirt bikes and does everyone get different kinds of helmets and gear for dual sports and dirt bikes? i just spent about $500 on gear for my bike i don't really feel like buying another helmet and everything again.

4. Wear whatever you want.

5. true, i thought it might have had something to do with the sportbike kinda helmets not being good enough for rocks and stone chips or something

6. If you're going to be doing some real offroad riding, you'll want to invest in a dirt helmet/goggles for the added ventilation. If you're just doing dual sporting, wear what you got.

7. JozeyR, I'm also new to riding, got my first bike and took my first ride just a couple weeks ago. Your video (what I watched of it) was very similar to my first ride. Other than a trip to a gas station (and I chose the easiest, safest one to get to) I stayed in residential neighborhoods and parking lots. Just in the few rides I've been on I've become much more comfortable and my skills have improved but those first couple of rides (and I suppose even now depending on the road) I worried about someone getting behind me and getting frustrated with my speed. I even pulled off the road at one point to let someone go by.

I really wanted to ride this weekend but with my skill level I thought it would be wise to stay off of the really wet roads.

Don't feel badly about the skills, you're where I was/am and it seems you're trying to be safe and trying to improve. Maybe we'll ride together some time when we've improved a bit.

8. Yeah it would be good to meet up with some more people around my area, i've been so busy with work that i haven't had the chance to make many new mates..
    Seeing as it's decent wether today i'm going to have another little ride when i get off of work at 5, maybe i'll go somewhere new today and step out of that comfort zone.. i wanna try and get good at hill starts especially because there's a steep hill i'd have to go up to get from work to home. Apparently hill starts are easier than most people think though so hopefully it isn't too bad :)

9. ^ use your foot brake to hold it at first until you're used to it. And yes it is easy without it but that will help you for a while.

10. Yeah thanks, fortunately there's a few good youtube videos about hill starting aswell that helped me get the idea of how it's going to be.

I got my mirrors put on today, they make a world of difference, and they don't even look bad.. what is the point of having them off..

When i went out for a ride i decided to hit the main roads, it was awesome! I got up to about ~50mph in third gear and i was changing gears at about 5-7k rpm most of the time. I also rode up a hill and stopped at the top and used the rear brake and was slow and cautious on my take-off but traffic was relaxed and so was i with my mirrors on there.

I'll try to put up some more interesting video's in a little while, i'm not really into the whole vlogging thing, especially when i'm trying to learn but i do like kinda reviewing how the ride went by watching it on a video so i can go back out there and improve on what i can.

Cheers everyone