My GS750 Cafe Build

Discussion in 'Projects' started by coastiepete, Jan 9, 2010.

1. So I know there's another thread out there about my cafe bike, but i wanted to start a dedicated one. So here it is.........

I bought this 1980 Suzuki GS750L for $250, and it was running. After seeing so many nice cafe bikes, I decided to build it into one.

Here it is the day I got it:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's gonna be a long process!

yard sale likes this.
  2. Her is the bike during teardown..............

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Here is some of the new parts i have acquired, including the fiberglass tail,the first tank i tried, spoked rims, and rearsets off a Gixxer 1000.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Here are some of the parts back from power coat........

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There was more powder coated, but i didn't take pictures. It included the fork legs, chain guard, brake bar, and some other bits.

5. Here are some pics of my first mocking up of some new parts. It includes the powder coated headlight, new gauges, and some other stuff......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So it started to look so cool! and then i had to take it apart again for welding work on the frame. I built and welded the battery box, seat supports, and GS750E fuel tank mounts all by myself using a MIG welder. I had to teach myself how to weld. They may not be the prettiest welds, but they are strong! I also relocated the fuse box, voltage rectifier, and started solenoid to the tail. They are mounted in front of the battery box, more pics on that stuff to come..

6. Cool project. Did you keep the original forks, or did you swap something else in? I just picked up a CB750, and I'm considering swapping the forks out for something more modern.

7. AND, finally my rims got done yesterday. The rims/tires package cost me just over $1100 total. they are the rims off a 77 and 78 GS750. The front is set up for dual discs, and the rear a single disc. I was able to refinish the rotors myself. they are flat and true, and in good shape for 30 years old! Also shown here are the new bullet turn signals, and fork gaiters. I'm really proud of my work and the quality of the bike so far. This should be done by April/May, so it's coming with me to EMW :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So that's it for now! The frame and swingarm are going in for powder coat next week (i think). The engine is coming apart. The head has 3 broken exhaust studs in it. I'm still debating wether or not to remove them, or get a used one off ebay for $100. I have a Kerker 4-1 sitting in the garage right now. it will be cleaned up and ceramic coated black. All the engine covers are off right now. They have been sanded, prepped, and painted with gloss black engine paint. They look great! So, hopefully i will have more updates in a couple weeks......Thanks for looking!

8. Thanks! The forks are from an 82 GS750E. They are straight leg, as opposed to the leading axle ones originally on the bike. They have the anti-dive boxes on them, which get mixed reviews. I am using Russel braided stainless lines, so hopefully the brake feel will be good.

9. Nice, baby. I need to post photos of the 75 cb550 build I am doing.

10. Looks great! I can't wait to see it finished!

Travis

11. Big T

Pete,

I urge you to consider the brake upgrade from the GSR. Bigger discs, circa 1990 Ninja calipers. It's a bolt on with the adapters Dan sells.

It's difficult to go more "modern" due to the limited offset of the wire wheels

It made a huge difference on my 78 GS 1000

Very nice work so far, hope you can make a GS rally or two this summer

12. That thing is sick

Nice job so far !! :thumbup:

13. james1300

james1300 Track School Dazed

Wow! Cool! Keep the pic's coming! Looking GREAT!

14. lol, that sounds like a lot of work:ninja:

15. looookin goooood!

16. What a metamorphosis! I can't wait to see what it looks like with the engine inside.
    Nice job. Way better than what you started w/!!

17. Nice. I hope mine looks as clean if I ever get back to it.

18. damn this is awesome man! Keep it comin'!

19. Doooooooooo iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit