close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My latest project??

Discussion in 'Olympia' started by midlman, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Oly section has been slow..so I figure I'll post up my latest project acquisition.

I've been on the look out for a project bike to round out my moto collection. I say project only because I didn't have a lot to put towards it and expected any bike I got would require lots of time to get it going.

The PD can do the dual sport stuff but isn't great at extended cruising at speeds greater than 75 (it's buzzy and doesn't block the wind too well), and the Duc is a blast on the shorter more intense rides...but slabbing it anywhere is a chore...so I've been on the look out for a sport tourer that leaned more towards sport, but wasn't a gold wing...

Had a line on an Aprilia Futura a few months ago, but it didn't run and the seller wanted folks to show up and the bid on the bike....so I passed on that one.

I kept watching all my lists and out of the corner of my eye I saw a listing for a Kawi ZX-11. At first I didn't pay too much attention mainly because my impression was that the ZX-11 was "just" a sport bike. I remember back in the day (yea..Im dating myself here lol)..that the ZX10 and ZX11 were the ultimate super bike..fastest production bike etc. more of a ...whoa!!!!! 175mph out of the box...that's just insanity crackup: kind of bike.

I talked to a good friend who bleeds kawi green (yet he doesn't own a green one yet LOL) and he told me that the ZX-11 would make a perfect sport touring bike. I dug deeper on the internet and what I read re-affirmed this. Add some rear bags and a tank bag...and you can ride for miles they said.

With all this research..I tossed the idea around my head for a while and then tossed out an offer to West (Watchmaker on the forum)...and before I knew it..I was headed up to Blaine to get the bike.

I put project? in the title of this thread, but this 93 ZX-11 D isn't really a project. It's ready to roll, and other than some minor cosmetic issues, it's a solid bike. I'll still have fun going through it, but it's nice to know I can hop on it and do a long distance ride without worry.

First real ride will be tomorrow at the Combined Fund Drive moto ride through the back roads of Thurston County (about 250 miles)....but I look forward to getting it out for longer rides after that..

anyway...thanks to West..and now..the pics..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011

2. Rippn

Rippn Human Race Qualifier<br>FREE and clean

That was the holeshot deal of the forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    EXCELLENT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    SALUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    FREE and clean, Ripp'n

3. That looks likes its in great shape.

4. There's really only a bit of rash on the left side of the upper fairing. My friend already found a replacement at bent bike up in Lynnwood..same color too...but it's a bit pricey. Also got a truckload of spare parts with the bike too..almost enough for another whole bike LOL 8)

Getting used to the different power delivery of an inline 4 too, the Duc is "Instant ON"....this takes a sec to gather its breath..and then it is hold on for dear life:scared. What's really weird is that I don't hear the clutch at all???:mrgreen::ninja::evil4:

5. Know the bike and glad it got a good home.

6. The CFD moto ride was a blast. Only about 150 miles and a mix of back roads and some slab. The ZX handled it all with ease and the riding position was very easy to tolerate. With the Duc..all my weight is on my arms and wrists and you can definitely feel the tension build from there up through the back and neck over long distance. Not an issue on the ZX at all.

The bike is heavy and harder to maneuver at slow speeds, but once rolling at a good clip, it becomes very agile. I took it up to "speed" in a few spots and it pulls like a freight train on steriods. There is no fussing about...it just goes.

I had also thought that the windscreen was too low and would direct wind right at my chest, but that wasn't the case. Even at supra legal speeds, the wind was directed around my frame.

Hope to take it on an extended ride over the Grand Coulee area in late Sept/Oct...I'll report back how it does loaded up with tent/bags etc.. :D

7. glad your enjoying the bike!.....I wonder if the upper fairing at lynnwood is the one that goes with the right lower on the bike and the other red one with broken tab, as that is where I got them.....

8. I have been beside that ole 11 for many miles She's a great bike
    I can't believe it took so long to sell Very Solid bike Have fun and be sure to continue to take care of her..............

9. Ever ride a busa??Same class of bike.Sport touring and fast as hell and still able to corner.

10. Wasn't really considering any of this class of bike (Busa, ZX-14) mainly due to the budget I had.....The only "touring sports" that I rode were my friends Kawi 900, another friends Triumph 595i, and yet another friends Yamaha FJ1100.

In all honesty, if I were to have unlimited funds, my ultimate sport tourer would be the BMW K1300S but that said, and now that I've put some miles on the ZX, I can see why this class of sport bike is so popular. Insane power, and totally comfortable. Put some bags on it and a tank bag and ride for miles. Who needs a Concours or Goldwing :D LOL....

11. like I said....last month I put 30 straight hours on that 11....and other than being tired as hell...my ass wasnt killing me, and that was with the old seat on it!.....its a great bike for long rides for sure!....get them carbs adjusted/sinked up and the little hesitation your getting will be gone too...will make a big diffrence......