Need assistance getting old gen ninja 250 running

Discussion in 'Projects' started by joshholland90, Jun 18, 2012.

1. joshholland90

joshholland90 Training Wheels

I have a 2005 ninja 250 that has not been running for a couple months. At first it may have started out as a battery issue but its been sitting for so long now I probably need to take the carbs apart and de-gunk them. I'm wanting to avoid taking to it a shop due to lack of disposable income right now. So I'm looking for someone in the vancouver or portland area that would be willing to help me get it running. We could work something out as far as $ goes or I could just provide some cold ones of your choice.

2. RedKat600

RedKat600 Vintage Screwball
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    2003 Copper SV1K
    Where exactly are you at? I live up north, but have a full shop and carb dip. Just finished restoring my Dad's old racer too so....have room for a new quick project. Could probably do it in a weekend easy.

blueline15 and fyrejunkee like this.
  3. joshholland90

I live in Vancouver. One of the first exits after the bridge from portland to vancouver. Depending on how far you are. not sure how I'd transport it to your shop. I only have a small car so would have to rent a truck w/ trailer attatched most likely.

4. RedKat600

Staff Member

I Ride:
    2003 Copper SV1K
    I work on 78th and St Johns. How far are you from there? Wife is gone Friday through this coming weekend.

5. DGA

DGA Moderator
    Staff Member

Hmmm...my truck is apart right now, but if it was not I'd offer to pick up the bike take it to my place and fix it up with you.

If you've not done anything with the bike by the time I'm done, I'll check back in.

6. RedKat600

Staff Member

I Ride:
    2003 Copper SV1K
    It's coming to my place tomorrow night for a once over and we'll go from there. Sorry, should have mentioned that here.

7. joshholland90

Yeah. sorry about that folks. Redkat has been kind enough to help me out on this one. thanks for the offer though DGA.

8. DGA

DGA Moderator
    Staff Member

Good of ya Red. Let us know how it turns out.

9. RedKat600

Staff Member

I Ride:
    2003 Copper SV1K
    It runs! Runs so well he rode it home and is coming to get his car tomorrow night or Friday night lol.

Heavy-T and joshholland90 like this.
  10. joshholland90

[​IMG]

Yes I was well prepared with my helmet, gloves and jacket :nana call me hopefull.

So RedKat is the man. Got it working gloriously without having to buy any parts. basically it was several small problems that added up to the not starting. if anyone wants to know the full details, let me know and I'll post it. just not sure how much traffic this post is getting.

Rep to Redkat!

11. Good job redkat! Glad to hear its up and running. Enjoy the weather.

12. RedKat600

Staff Member

I Ride:
    2003 Copper SV1K
    Only took a couple of hours with a break for some pizza and Big Bang Theory. Now, I expect to see you at some Tuesday coffee and bike nights you know.....

13. joshholland90

ah yes, tnc. Too bad I get off at 6 and live in vancouver. doesnt it start at 6?

14. RedKat600

Staff Member

I Ride:
    2003 Copper SV1K
    We're usually there until 8 PM or so. :evil4:

15. joshholland90

Alright I'll definitely show. It's just a little lame that I will miss the pre ride, if they are even organizing those anymore. I'm out of the loop.

16. RedKat600

Staff Member

I Ride:
    2003 Copper SV1K
    No coffee pre rides but it sounds like the Wednesday night rides will happen again soon. Not sure of the details on those though.

17. Props to you for helping Kat but I must spread the love

18. DGA

DGA Moderator
    Staff Member

Very nice...so what was it?

19. joshholland90

It was a large rookie mistake on my part when I was trying to fix it. The main issue was that the spark plugs werent tight enough. they had a crush gasket on them which wasnt crushed...I blame this on the janky 90 degree spark plug wrench I had rather than a long ratchet to get them tight enough. The carbs were also way out of sync and there was a vacuum leak where one of the caps on my carbs had a hole in it so we had to replace that cap. sprayed some break cleaner around all the other gaskets where there could possibly be leaks but there were none. Adjusted the idle a lot and tinkered with the fuel adjust screws on the carb bowls also.

we also checked all the lights and the front break wasnt lighting up the tail because of corrosion on the connectors so he Wd-40'd it and scraped the corrosion of which fixed that.

the stearing lock was also broken which leads us to believe there was an attempted theft on the bike at one point. not sure if it was during my posession or not cause I didnt know what a stearing lock was when I first got the bike so I didn't check for it :p

I think that about covers it. RedKat can fill in the blanks or correct me on names of parts if I botched it.

There's a bit of a story about the ride home as well....

I had brought my gear just in case and once we had the bike fixed I was itching to ride. So I decided to park my car there and ride it home.
    First off...I took a left instead of a right and got lost but once Red found me and pointed me in the right direction I was off! I made it 1 or maybe 2 miles down the road and I start puttering...oh no, out of gas. we knew it was low but thought I at least had enough to make it to town so I could fill up. In the middle of a dark road with creepy fields all around me. perfect setting for a zombie apocalypse I was thinking. anywho, I shut my bike completely down to save battery so it was pitch black. A nice trucker stopped and asked if I was ok but he didnt have a gas can with him so he went on his way. Luckily I had enough service to make a phone call to RedKat but I didn't have his number in my phone. so I had to dig through our PM's on the forum to find it.finally was able to Call him and the poor guy had to get out of bed to come save my ass and more so did it with a smile on his face. Couldn't ask for any more generosity. But I think that just about sums it up. It was a great night for a ride.

20. RedKat600

Staff Member

I Ride:
    2003 Copper SV1K
    Nothing more to add here. Except the lock wasn't broken, the tab on the steering neck was bent. Nice long stainless drift and a small sledge and we had it straightened out. Pretty much everything works now!

Oh, and I told ya you were low on gas. Next time we actually check the tank before ya leave!

Grantizzle likes this.