New engine

Discussion in 'Tacoma-Puyallup' started by mikeonabike, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Hey guys i got a free 1998 Honda cbr with low miles but, the problem is that the guy who gave it to me didn't give me the title because he didn't have it. He said his friend gave it to him. So i tried looking for the vin number and couldnt find it and i asked the police if they can help and they said not without the owner. So my thought was to find the same model motorcycle and just switch the engine. Where can i find broken motorcycles?

2. Rippn

Rippn Human Race Qualifier<br>FREE and clean

Uhhhhh...mmmmmm...uhhhhhh...
    I'm surprised the LEOs didn't come right on over, and "HELP" you w/ your several generation free bike... they KNOW where to look for those pesky VIN#'s...
    I'll bet they will be by to "HELP" ya, in a day or two.

So, "the guy" that gave it to you... or his "friend" ( to be redefined later), that gave it to him ... just overlooked, or silly forgot the title...
    Remember, ketchup IS a food group.
    Bwhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    FREE and clean, Ripp'n

3. Wes206

Usually vins are listed on top of the trannys right beneath the carbs/throttle bodies. It's also stamped on the bulkhead where the triple tree goes through the frame and also printed on a tag usually in the same region.

If it's stolen or something it doesn't matter if you switch the engine, frames registered. They can search by license number to if it has one.

4. SatansPetFerret

SatansPetFerret Evil Genius

The VIN should be stamped on the neck of the frame. Once you have it, check it here to find out if it's stolen or salvaged.

Do you have any proof of ownership, like a bill of sale from your "friend"?

5. call department of public records in olympia, ask for release of information form for previous owner of said vin#, it takes em two weeks, then they email it back to you. once you get that back, you have to send a form to the previous owner releasing their interest in the engine, and then you get a temp title TA DA

good luck

6. james1300

james1300 Track School Dazed

If ya don't have a title, don't spend Any money until you do.

You don't know (for sure) if the title has a lean on it.(like from a bank) Or, even
    if its stolen.
    If someone say's the bike is theirs YOU have to prove 'legal' ownership.
    Saying 'my buddy gave it to me is not legal ownership'.
    Without a title your gonna work hard just to keep the bike.
    If it is stolen and your found in posession, you can go to jail. Plus, all the parts and money you put on the bike stay with the bike. You get nothing but a lawyers bill and maybe jail time.

Then when you get out, you get to keep looking over your shoulder for the owner of the bike to come look'in for you.

7. Please, please, please... Let us know what happens with this.

(i'm guessing hotter than Monica Belluci...)

8. james1300

james1300 Track School Dazed

crackup:
    Zactley!

9. Find your VIN..

Get your "Friend" to give you a bill of sale with the VIN on it stating it was a gift, as-is, no title.... get it notarized..

Take that to the DMV and they will tell you who the last legal owner was.
    The DMV will not give out the info without a bill of sale.

You can then contact owner to get a release of interest so you can transfer the title.
    Again.. Get it notarized..

If the owner does not respond we get into a whole new mess of papers, certified letters and inspections by the state patrol.
    If you get to that point I'll dig up the link to the process for WA state.

#9 sschering, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  10. Rippn

Rippn Human Race Qualifier<br>FREE and clean

ketchup, is a food group...
    and soap on a rope ...trumps Wi
    Bwhahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pretty much ALL advice given, has been BEST case scenerio...
    you may be in for the edumacation of a lifetime.
    REAL owner ( NOT YOU), may not CARE...WHO you got the bike from.
    Posession, is 9/10's of the... charge.
    B&E, threats, physical intimadation...bad debt, self repo, drug debt...there's a CRYSTAL CLEAR REASON, THE PAPERWORK IS MISSING...and it involves several people,BEYOND YOUR CONTROL...
    RUUUUN, FORREST...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    FREE and clean, Ripp'n

11. To a certain extent, yes. But I think his best bet now, after finding himself in posession of what might be stolen goods, is to contact the police. Best case scenario, he has a free track bike or fun project. Worst case, he loses the bike, but he also didn't pay for it. But if he holds it for whatever reason, and doesn't make that good faith effort to ensure he legally owns the bike, he's going to be in a world of dookie if he gets caught with it. Better to rip that band-aid off quickly, call the cops, and get the ball rolling.

To the OP. If it is hot, you better figure out real fast why your "friend" gave it to you knowing you want to make it street legal (which means dealing with the DOL and the PoPo). If they're going to let you take a fall, is that really someone you want to protect or "forget their names"? I'm not saying you shouldn't try and get it titled, quite the opposite. Just saying that it wouldn't be wise to implicate yourself by protecting someone that might have knowingly set you up for a theft bust.

Lastly... Pictures? And if it is legal, and just not titled. I'd be interested in a little chat about it. I'm needing a track bike after all... 8)

12. i checked the vin number on every website and couldn't find anything so on monday i will go to the licensing department and try to register it and if anything they will tell me something.

13. I don't feel like reading back through this thread, but didn't you say there was no vin on the motor?

14. i only found a number on the frame that looked like the vin number and i also found a number on the engine but it's only 12 characters long.

<<<<<<<wasn't born in Amarica

15. Dont drop the soap

16. I'm sorry, I typed that wrong. The vin will be on the frame, and will be different than the number on the motor. If you've run your vin through online VIN services and it came back clean, you might just have gotten really lucky, and gotten a free bike. I hope that's the case. Just that what you originally posted made it sound like you had a bike with part of the vin missing.

17. took the bike to state patrol today and they barley got the vin number and they said its stolen since 2001. we took it apart pretty good so i hope the insurance wont want it back.

18. Is there any scenario where he gets to keep this? If an insurance company paid on it, I doubt they won't send it to auction. I guess he could buy it at that point, but i'm sure they'd have a minimum value. If the original owner didn't have insurance, it would belong to them. Maybe they wouldn't want it, but if it was me, i'd want something back for what I lost. Incidentally, are you ok with the cops? No worries about "stolen property"?

Oh, this thread sucks without pictures and more details. What happened? Did your friend explain where it came from?

19. this is my first thread but no more threads that's not worth while.

and i have a huge problems with cops and their speeding tickets but if i didn't do it then im not scared of them.

20. You missed what I was asking. I was asking for more details about the situation you're in. Are the cops looking at you for possession of stolen property? What did the cops say? Did they take the bike? Come on man, give it up or i'm losing interest forever.