New to the board :)

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by KnoxvilleCBR, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Hey what's up guys, I am new to these forums. I don't live close to washington - I just kind of stumbled upon this forum, started reading it last night, and made an account. I live in Knoxville, Tennessee and have ridden just a couple of times, but I am looking to purchase a bike sometime soon (1-2 weeks). I am trying to decide between the GSX-R 600 or the CBR600RR. I have been told both bikes are similar you should just decide which one sits better for you. I am leaning towards the 2006 CBR right now, but you guys know bikes better so I would like your input.

Thanks in advance :)

2. welcome, yes these guy's know the bike's to have,my style is the yamaha warrior 1700, again welcome to the forum :thefinge: :thefinge: :thefinge: vtr2: vtr2: vtr2:

3. Blues Brothers

Blues Brothers Mr. Pickles

Welcome! I hope you get some good advice on your pending decision. Still, I think it mostly comes down to what you prefer and how the bike fits with your expectations and preferences in general. These two models and many other similar models are generally so close these days among manufacturers that it hardly matters, but with the exception of again, what your preferences are and/or if you like the looks of the machine. Keep the sunny side up and have fun too.

4. Dude,

You are one lucky SOB.... Living where you live. Just south of you is AWESOME road. Hwy 129 and hwy 28 and...and...and...

( just got to ride some of them last week as my bro and I rode our bikes through there)

Welcome to the site and keep us appraised of some of the kick butt rides you will soon be doing!

Yeah like blues says.... really just pick the color and shape you want...you can hardly go wrong.

My preference?
    for literbikes: GSXR or R1
    600's: ZX6R 636

of course there are hundreds of other options and what I think is cool another person may think is silly. I even started to think goldwings are cool after seeing blues ride his...and imagining how comfortable it would be for long trips!!! You are right....whatever sits with you best. At this point they are all good. That 636 is bloody fast for a 600 though.

I am super stoked someone is on here from Tennessee.... :clap :clap :thumbup:

5. Haha, I know what you mean. There are so many roads around here great for riding. Where are you from? Do you live close (which is why you are excited)?

6. kilo509

kilo509 Stunt Cock

GSXR all the way

7. Kricket

CBR is my first choice I love mine! Welcome to the forum!

8. Don't get either, they are honestly the worst starter bikes you can possibly own. You will drop it and cry when you have to pay for expensive plastics. Let's not even look into insurance at the moment, because you're going to pay three times the value of the bike in the next few years of owning it.

Find an inexpensive, used bike and learn on that. Most starter bikes hold their value quite well. In other words, buy a $1000 bike, put $500 of parts into it, ride it for two seasons and sell it for $1000 to $1500. Then go buy that supersport bike.

9. "Find an inexpensive, used bike and learn on that."

This was some of the best advice I took away from the MSF safety course when I first got my license. Not only will you make your beginner's mistakes on something inexpensive, but you will get a better idea of what kind of bike you really want to sink your money into. You are not going to get a clear idea of your needs and riding style until you have ridden a couple of seasons.

I also replied to your inquiry about riding gear in the "Why We Wear Gear" thread.

10. Well I will be taking a safety course before I purchase my bike. I figured I would learn enough to NOT drop my bike. I still shouldn't start out with a 600cc motorcycle?

11. Yep. Still a bad idea.

12. Why do you think that? I don't think I will be 'dropping' it. What other mistakes will I be making?

13. The beginner's course will get you to the point where you can ride around cones in a closed-off parking lot at under 25 mph. Yes, it's much better than trying to learn out on the open road on a new bike, but there's still a lot to learn.

Remember back to when you learned to drive. The hardest part was not staying in the lane or anything like that, it was managing all the inputs. All the signs, traffic, pedestrians, signals, all the stuff that comes at you, needs to be dealt with or else you crash. Once you get used to it, you can process or ignore things you don't care about and you're golden. You will go through the exact same experience with your bike. Count on dropping it a couple times during the first year, probably once right away and once after 6 months or so when you get cocky. If you don't crash in the first year, pat yourself on the back for being a really quick learner and have fun. 8)

BTW, there's a great post called 'dumped it' on the front page right now. Read and study it, then see if you can figure out what our brave rider did right and what he did wrong. Better yet, find all the 'dumped' threads you can stand and study them. If you can't figure out what went wrong, ask.

As you read, remember that no matter what happened, no matter if it was just going wide in a turn or bouncing off the hood of a car, the rider did something wrong to get into the situation. This should not be taken as an assignment of blame, rather an opportunity for self-analysis.

14. Blues Brothers

Blues Brothers Mr. Pickles

I would say this about first bikes. There are those that have the maturity, discipline, and attitude to handle the temptations that can arise from the power at hand with some of the more powerful bikes on the market and that will survive those temptations to build upon growing experiences with whatever bike they ride first. With that said, then there are those that will not handle themselves well regardless of what there first bike is and lose it and/or hurt themselves and/or possibly others in their quest to learn to ride. Only you can determine which of those situations you may be leaning toward as a person. Just keep in mind that, the bigger the bike is, the more trouble you or anyone could get themselves into should that person find themselves in a situation that calls for maturity, discipline, and/or an attitude to handle these possible temptations without them. You can be safe on any bike and learn to ride and ride well if you have the right facilities and mindset. But if you don't, you and/or anyone can risk less by starting out gradually. It's up to you. As always, it's your choice, your responsibility, your maturity, and your decisions that determine the outcomes of those choices. Good luck.

15. Well I feel I am one of the more mature ones. I am mainly using this bike for cheaper transportation (great gas mileage). I am not going to be taking it out on high speed runs or anything. Sure I might go 10-15 over or maybe 20 over if traffic is extremely light, but I am not planning on doing anything crazy with it. Thanks for your advice so far guys - keep it coming!

As I gain more experience (years of riding) I may then do fast runs and what not, but until then I will not even attempt to do anything of the sort.

Also, what are some good/popular companies that make gear (for helmets/leather) and what are the best products they make. I know/have heard of icon, vanson, hein gericke, shoei, arai.

16. Looking for gas milage? Get a Ninja 250 or 500. You won't outgrow the bike for at least two seasons, unless you track it very often. Sure, you may want more straight-line speed, but that doesn't mean you've outgrown it. It will get much better gas milage than any of the 600 sportsbikes out there.

There are plenty of new, wrecked bikes in the junkyard because the rider thought they were mature enough to handle it. Don't be a statistic, please.

It's hard to go wrong with any gear companies you listed. I'd throw Sidi and Oxtar into your list, as well. Try to remember the best products they make can range up to $700 for a helmet, $300 for a set of boots, $700 for a jacket, $700 for a set of pants and $150 for gloves. Best bet is to look into bang for buck.

17. Regardless of training, intent, or maturity level, one still makes beginner mistakes. It is cheaper to make these on a used bike than a new one.

As for gear, one basic decision you can make is whether or not you will be doing cold and wet weather riding. If you are going to put your bike up for the winter, you can shop for gear with an eye more towards physical protection than weather protection.

18. No, I am from Washington State. My brother and I just rode our sport bikes all the way accross the USA to Virginia Beach, Va, Danville, Va, Atlanta, Ga...ect....

It was a hella trip on sportbikes...over 7300 miles....but the reason I'm excited is because I just rode through your area and it kicks butt...people from all over the United States and Canada talk about it.

:!:

I was going to disagree and say get whatever you want to learn on. You will probly dump it. but that is just the way it goes. In the long run a couple thou is not that much difference for owning a bike for two years that you truely enjoy being on.

Then I saw the reason you wanted a bike...gas milage. I read that: to save money.

You will most likely NOT save money buying any of the current model sportbikes.

You will:
    1 put more miles on than in a car (and use up almost as much or more fuel-premium unleaded-wich is more expensive than you probly put in your car or a smaller learner bike)
    2 need gear specific for riding a motorcycle that you wouldn't normally need.
    3 you will probly maintain your motorcycle to a higher standard than a car...more money- a lot more than most people realize.
    4 you will spend more money on cleaners, polishes, and oil...
    5 all the cleanings, extra miles and maintenance (even bringing to someone to do for you) takes more time. Time IS money. and you will loose some if you aren't doing it because you like it. You won't be saving "money"

Ummm...you won't be saving money buying a current model sportbike...

Now...the ninja 250/ 500 thing is sounding right to me...less maintenance cost and a little better gas milage...and you still get to hit twisties pretty hard.

and when you dump it...not to single you out or say you are inferior....everyone dumps their bikes...or will. Just like everyone will crash eventually.....it will be cheaper than on the current model sportbikes.

Now if you don't listen to this advice...I can still respect your decision...congrats on whatever you do. Just have fun, be safe and keep posting here!

:thumbup:

19. In whatever you choose..just be safe..a new time riding is just like when you first got your drivers license..sure your going to be safe and responsible..but you know deep in your heart.you want to see just how fast you can go..It will hold true with a bike..it does it to all of us. My first bike was a CBR600 and it was a great beginner bike and I liked the way it handled...and yes I did drop her down a couple times...mostly over stupid things. Get a bike that YOU feel comfortable with, and be sure you know your limits!! Best of luck!! Let us know how it goes

20. Speed is not the wild ride, grasshopper. Not slowing down in the corners is the wild ride. :twisted: