close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Newb riding gear SMACK DOWN!

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by Dr.Kenneth Noisewater, Mar 29, 2017.

1. What's up everybody! Yes, I am a new rider and YES I am posting another cliché "newb rider" post. I wanted to introduce myself, maybe get a shout out from some central Oregon riders. Also, I want to list some gear that I am about to buy. Just like every new rider, before I spend a couple bills on gear I wanted to get some approval from people with experience. I just picked up an 06 SV650R that will be used for 70% commuting. I'm not totally new to riding so I understand the importance of gear and general safety/common sense. Now to the gear part of this long drawn out post... Here is a short list of the gear I am planning on picking up this week. Feel free to leave some input on what you use or let me know if I am going about this all wrong!

First up- Jacket
    I know I want leather! I know I want armor, perforation and something visible af. This led me to the a*'s GP plus R. It's louder and flashier than I am but if people see how ridiculous I look, then that means it did it's job.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-gp-plus-r-perforated-leather-jacket

Pants!

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/agv-sport-willow-perforated-leather-pants

Good armor and leather for a pretty decent price.

Shoes! Yeah I said shoes. I will have a dedicated pair of boots as well but for riding 4 blocks to work these ce rated shoes should be plenty

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle...d7VkJ9aj_BuXVDCFNFpuiq0H_GjRdips8MaAuva8P8HAQ

Helmet! Really torn between these three
    HJC RPHA10
    Bell star
    and the Icon airframe

Let me know if jacket pants combo will work or is worth the money any and ALL input is appreciated

2. All looks good. I don't go across the parking lot in shoes though.

My main suggestion is make sure the place you're ordering from has a friendly return policy. Chances are things aren't going to fit. This is especially appropriate for the helmet. I would go try them on somewhere first because it's not about brand or price as much as it is about properly fitting and every model (not just brand) has a different shape. It needs to be as tight as possible in every dimension without giving you long term pain. Short term is normal. It's best to be sized by someone that knows how to size a helmet. Usually this involves pushing and pulling and sticking fingers between the helmet liner and your head as well as using a pair of calipers used to determine headshape and size. A lot of this can be done on your own but most people tend to error on the lose side which makes the helmet dangerous.

3. I have that HJC RPHA 10 Pro Cypher. Came with two Pinlock anti-fog inserts. Good quality, ventilates really well and fit my melon better than any other.

4. Then you should BUY that helmet from the local store where you tried it. If we are going to have any brick-and-mortar stores left for trying things on we need to support them. Everyone will appreciate it.

5. Agreed. Often they'll price match if money is the issue.

6. Great Jacket!! I just got the same one on Revzilla two weeks ago. Super fast shipping and great customer service. Im 6' 195 lbs. Athletic build got a size 56 euro. Fits perfectly even have a tad of extra room for chest and back protector. I went in and test fit it at my dealer before I bought it.
    - James

7. Although leather is good, I'd look into textile gear. A good place to shop is a local Cycle Gear store. They'll have the gear in stock and you can see the pros and cons of the gear firsthand. You can also try it on for size.

If you plan to commute year-around, textile gear is more flexible. You can buy jackets and pants that are waterproof.

I also would not ride with shoes. Early on, I watched a YouTube video of a guy who took a spill on the freeway. One of the first things that came off was his shoe. If there was enough force to rip off the shoe, you know what happened to his foot.

Chris

8. Dude, buying the wrong gear is a learning experience. My last jacket disintegrated off my body (literally, I can't put my keys in the pockets as there isn't much left of those, the rain layer is worthless and the wind goes through the holes). I bought a more expensive one a couple months ago I thought would be better... not the case, the thin arms make sure rain runs down my arms and into my gloves because I'm wearing gauntlets. Found out THAT wasn't a great combo the hard way (running back to Portland from Seattle in a friggin' 40 mph wind/ freezing rain scenario).

Here's some of the stuff I learned the hard way:

1. Don't think one of ANYTHING is going to be all-weather. Your winter gloves will make your hands feel like disgusting sweat-lockers in the summer and your summer riding gloves will leave you on the roadside breathing on your fingers and hugging your motor for warmth come autumn. "All seasons" are the worst of both (hands hot in the summer and fingers cold in the winter). Finding a true, water-proof, winter-weight glove is a pain in the ass.

2. All season coats are NOT all season. Leather doesn't breathe (I don't wear leather, and some people do it year-round, but I run hot), all-season textiles are NOT mesh jackets (even with the liners out and every damn zipper open, you're gonna sweat). Textile coats open up, but if you're only going to run your bike on nice days, BUY A MESH COAT. They zip up, have a thin layer if you need it, and won't leave you passing out at a stop light from being too damn hot (happened to me). It will limit your riding days, though. My favorite time of year to ride is late at night in Autumn, but some people don't like to ride after dark, some don't like the rain, some don't like the cold. I love summer for the fact I can open up on corners, but summer traffic is a bummer.

3. Boots are also a summer/winter switch. Also, know how rain-proof you need your boots. I ride year-round, so waterproof is pretty damn important to me, but will make your summer uncomfortable as waterproof doesn't really breathe like other boots. That said, my "summer weight" is a pair of Converse because they dry quickly if I get rained on (I'm planning on buying a pair of motorcycle high-tops because I know myself and what I'll grab on the way out the door). I HAVE wrecked in Converse, and I have the scar tissue to tell you they're better than nothing, but not by THAT much.

4. Riding pants: How lazy are you? I'm NOT generally, but when it comes to riding pants, I hate wearing them. I'm buying some reinforced denim pants soon as I like being able to swing-a-leg without feeling like I'm going SCUBA diving. I replaced my worthy-of-A-Christmas-Story-riding pants with some slip-on rain gear, but it's worthless for abrasion protection.

5. My first Scorpion helmet was a little bulky, but was a great helmet. My second helmet has this really comfy liner and SUCKS UP RAINWATER LIKE IT'S FREE. So, my head gets cold about an hour after I start off... which SUCKS long distance. Also, my first helmet made adding a Bluetooth module a snap. My more expensive, sleeker helmet didn't have the same spaces for speakers/ etc, which has make it somewhat uncomfortable to ride with as the speakers push into my ears.

6. Don't think your first set of gear is gonna be your last. Almost all of us have a ton of extra gear floating around. I figured my gear was going to be like a one-time thing, and I keep adding and adding because as I grow as a rider, and as my needs change, my old gear doesn't cut it... or it wears out (or I find out it was crap). I spend the same in motorcycle gear as a fashionista spends on clothes. I'm not sure if I'm bragging or not. X-/

I feel proud of the gear that has worn out because I put those miles on them and I actually feel a little loss when they're gone as I remember the times I wore them. So, I'd go so far as to say look forward to replacing your gear at some point.

If you're only going to be running a few miles in the city, it's no big deal really and a ton of gear is wasting your money (hell, I throw on a hoodie, light gloves and my helmet if I'm not planning on hitting the highway). If you're planning on a lot of highway and distance, protection from wind, rain, bugs, debris, etc... requires a little more planning. Much like SCUBA diving, the colder the environment and the more distance you cover, the more expensive the gear is. You'll learn how you ride and you'll find the people on here who give you the advice you're looking for!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  9. Get the leather. Your body will appreciate it if/when you crash. As far a the "shoes", maybe look into a short boot like this one . I have an older version of that boot and it has worked well for me for the street. It's also comfortable enough to wear to work all day. Most people never even notice that you're wearing a riding boot.

Cant help with those helmets as I have never owned any of those brands. All I can say is to find one that had an anti-fog shield or pinlock system available for it. Fogging is your worst enemy in the cold and wet months.