"No session" track day?

Discussion in 'Track Time' started by TJC, Jun 27, 2012.

1. TJC

TJC

Does anyone around here have "no session" track days?

A few years ago (2008?) NESBA had a day for "Intermediate" riders at Pacific that didn't have any sessions. The track went hot at 9am, went cold at 5pm, and you could come on and off as you pleased.

I was hesitant to try it (fearing that people wouldn't have the common sense to get off the track when they got too tired, or that there'd be 65 bikes on the track at once) but it turned out to be an awesome day. People seemed alot more relaxed knowing they had access to more track time than they could use and the freedom to use it when they were ready for it. They didn't try to cram all the fun into a 20-minute session.

Anyway, I haven't heard of anyone else trying this locally. Why not?

2. Its been done. A few private groups have organized days like that. Also has happened a few times over the years on days where the turnout was very light. It can be a lot of fun, but isn't a very newb friendly idea IMHO. Hence why its usually done with private groups all going in on the track.

3. YOURTRACKDEALER.COM

I have not tried any of their events yet, but only because their dates never seem to work for me. Have heard and read many good things though.

4. 20 minutes seems like plenty of time to me. I've done 30 min. Sessions and that seems like forever. No sessions seems kinda cool though.

5. TJC

TJC

It's the 40-minute downtime and the forced schedule that's nice to avoid. Sometimes I'm ready to go out again 15 minutes after my session is done, sometimes I'd like to wait an hour.

I imagine if you're tweaking your setup it's nice too. You can pull in, add a turn of compression damping (or whatever) and go right back out without fear of losing track time.

I agree that a no-session day isn't friendly for first-timers. But most people at a trackday aren't first timers.

From my (admittedly limited) perspective it seems like there's a big enough crowd of intermediate riders that might support it. And it's a way to differentiate one trackday from another. So I was curious why it wasn't a regular offering from someone.

6. TRAIL BOSS

TRAIL BOSS Defiler of Threads

I Ride:
    for OPRT with an '07 SXV550 (The Darkness) and a '13 ZX14R (Mjölnir).
    +1

Ralph runs a great trackday. His events are generally few and far between, but if you're an experienced track rider and have the time to make it, they're a lot of fun.

7. Wyckedan

I Ride:
    RSV4 Factory
    Ralph isn't doing those at the moment. Which isn't to say he won't put one together in the future, but none are planned for this year.

8. Right now just private rentals. There are a few guys on here that will take down a track with a group, just keep an eye out, sometimes they will post them up to fill spots. The economics of covering the cost of renting a track with an open format is difficult because you have to limit the numbers of riders since theoretically every rider could be on the track at the same time. Then you throw in the cost of staffing and you end up at a loss. I'd be surprised to see any professional org do it anymore.

#8 KNanthrup, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  9. Right now just private rentals. There are a few guys on here that will take down a track with a group, just keep an eye out, sometimes they will post them up to fill spots. The economics of covering the cost of renting a track with an open format is difficult because you have to limit the numbers of riders since theoretically every rider could be on the track at the same time. Then you throw in the cost of staffing and you end up at a loss. I'd be surprised to see any professional org do it anymore.
    Then we who would like to see such events need to do our part and support them. Fill their rosters. I am sad to hear that YOURTRACKDEALER.COM has had to drop their events. I was really hoping to attend one of their weekends in the future.

10. Wyckedan

I Ride:
    RSV4 Factory
    Dejà vu

11. I too am sorry that I had to cancel my two 2 day events....it is still possible that I can host one this year ......but young at heart is correct.

if you want to be kept up to date on either where im going so you can hitch a ride or if Ill be hosting go to

http://www.yourtrackdealer.com/ and sign up for the news letter

12. theJrod

theJrod Racer Extraordinaire

The NESBA Intermediate Skills day was a lot of fun.

Like some folks have already stated, you have to limit the total number of riders to a fairly small amount, and/or limit the group to a specific skillset (like NESBA did) in order to keep it safe.

With the track day market so heavily saturated this year, it's difficult for orgs to sellout anymore - that's with 3 groups @ 35ish riders per skill level. If you limit it to one skill level, you've cut your customer base by 2/3rds.

13. TJC

TJC

That assumes that demand for each skill level is the same. But that's clearly not true. Take the last couple events at The Ridge for example: the B group sells out, the C group sells out (or is close to it), and the A group is a desolate wasteland of chirping crickets, tumbleweeds and 6 bikes.

How have the DucBel days have gone with their atypical day format? As I understand it they're still using 20-minutes sessions but they're expanding the tracktime for B riders which seem to have the most demand.

14. HEY!!! Dont tell everyone about the A Group we like the open track!!!:secret::nana

15. They had 20 minute sessions with one C group, one "slow" B group and one "fast" B group. Advanced guys got unlimited riding during the lunch break 12-1 and after 4 when everyone was done. A lot of people were clearing out by 2 though so they let some A guys lap in intermediate. It was a great format really and I'm looking forward to riding with them again.

No session track days have spoiled me. SoCal Trackdays runs exclusively at Chuckwalla offering no session TD's and they almost always sell out. The only stipulation is no brand new riders, so it's not just B groupers. I'd say it ranges from fast C group riders to fast A group and everyone seems to get along just fine. If anyone wants to plan a no session TD at a track up here I'd definitely be in.

16. That sounds awesome to me, but would definitely require the riders to have the correct mind set. If you ride in A group/race then getting a close pass or getting passed on the inside isn't a big deal. If it is your third track day you might have to be ready for a bit closer passing than usual. That includes not getting spooked and taking someone out if they come by inside of your 6 foot bubble.

Obviously it isn't a race, but I've seen riders get upset when they get passed on the "inside of a corner" as they are on the brakes setting up for the corner.

17. cobra525

cobra525 WMRRA Sportsman of the year

It will be ok, I'll bring you a napkin for the tears.

:thefinge:

18. And that's the whole point. If it's your third track day you shouldn't be at a no session day. Everyone is always warned beforehand that there will be guys who are fast as fuck that'll pass courteously, but it could very well be close up the inside.

At the same time, regular A groupers should know better than to rub paint with the slow guys. It's all about having a good time.

soggydoo likes this.
  19. All signed up... keep us posted!

20. TJC

TJC

That doesn't have to be the case. Just because it's "no-session" doesn't mean it has to be "inside close passing is okay". You can have a no-session day with C-group rules as long as everyone is riding under the same rules.

Like most things it's a matter of managing expectations. If you show up expecting a race practice day and are told you can only pass on the straight that's going to suck. You'll feel like you wasted your $200. If you show up expecting to only get passed on the straight and are told inside passes are okay you might feel the same.