close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Older dude on a trials type bike

Discussion in 'Adventure Time' started by Avboden, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Long story short, my father (62 years old) had a taste of dirt riding and now wants a dirtbike. The problem is, he's 5'6 and just can't throw his leg over a tall dirt bike anymore. I've tried convincing him that he can, but no go. He's cool riding standing up, the issue is getting on the thing in the first place and getting off.

So we looked over the usual possibly shorter bikes, CRF150 (the various different types of it as well), etc. He just didn't seem interested in them.

He came across the Ossa Explorer and pretty much fell in love. There's a guy selling them somewhat locally to our region who rides the 280 and he's 68! He claims there's a few 70+ dudes riding them.

The explorer is a fantastic bike, no denying that. 2014 had a ton of improvements. They've actually partnered with gasgas now and gasgas will be handling all production so quality should still be great.

Seat height is around 32inches, 163 pounds dry, incredible machine. It's a trials bike with a seat and lights and a 6 speed trans (3 really low and big jumps in the top 3 gears). It can be bought with the 250, 280(272) or 300 now as it turns out. We were thinking the 280 because it's the more common and well liked form what i'm reading.

It's not meant for high speeds or jumping which is fine, he's not interested in either and for technical trail work people seem to just rave about them.

My concern is mostly my father's health. Everyone I know that rides dirt hurts themselves a good bit at some point. I'm kind of thinking this bike would minimize that risk for him because it's more about slow and balance than speed, jumping, etc.

So after that long rant you know the backstory. General thoughts on a 60+ rider on a trials bike with a seat? General thoughts on Ossa? Thanks!

Oh yeah, really easy to title in washington, so that's cool.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  2. I have never ridden a trials bike but I think they are really neat. Seems like they are like a mountain bike that you don't have to peddle. Perfect for an old man!

U back from the tropics?

3. have a friend in Port Angeles who has one of these OSSA's, loves it.. if you go to the desmonorthwest.com site and follow thread of "gonna be dirty soon" you will see many trail clip videos of it in action.. he got it not too long ago, has it road registered ect... any questions i would ask him (mark) how he worked them thru.

4. Nope, i've got 2 more years here. I'll be back come summer for a bit though.

5. Funny enough the dealer selling them mentioned Mark and linked to his videos. One of the reasons my dad is so interested.

here's his channel if anyone is curious http://www.youtube.com/user/improvsax/videos

6. some buddies were riding in the woods a few weeks ago and hooked up with a 70-year-old dude on a KDX220. He wasn't the fastest, but made it over all the obstacles no problem and kept a steady pace. He also has some trials bikes, but the main point is that a mellow, light two-stroke like a KDX would be a good choice as well.

7. that is BADASS. i would totally ride it. yes!

I am a "mature" rider who has ridden almost everything, and who has hammered his body dirt-biking.

screw that.

i have been looking for a trials bike to stratch the dirt itch without all the broken bones ffrom hauling ass. also - you can toddle around the yard and neighborhood, and because you are goingg so slow no one calls the po-lice. that is a bennie.

so ive been shopping on CL but the thing is - people LIKE their trials bikes. YIKES.

8. Note to self: bring extra fuel or plan trips.. trials bikes dont hold alot of go juice....

9. Yeah, sounds like the explorer gets 50miles or so +small reserve.

10. The more vids i watch on that OSSA the more i like it. Gets good reviews too.

I would so take that thing on hiking only trails though...

is 6'7'' 300lbs too big to trials ride?

11. RedKat600

RedKat600 Vintage Screwball Staff Member

I would think something like that would be great for general trail riding and playing around in the dirt.

For anything more, I'm thinking jumps and other more stressful use, I can't see that spindly frame or swingarm holding up. Yeah, he's 62, so I can't see it being used in an MX style fashion. Otherwise, an FI 280 2 smoke? Yes please!!

12. Plenty of riding left for someone that age, my dad still rides in the dirt. 501 Husaburg even.

50+ miles is plenty of fuel range.

13. it could bite you in the ass was all i was saying.. start at home, not trailered (as license is ok now) 20 road miles can add up quickly to "get" to where you are trail riding...no fun to push a bike back to the road or walk out to get some gas... ... planning prevents problems.....

14. Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  15. I see your point for sure, I was thinking more about off road loops with maybe a couple fire roads.
    But ya, for a dual sport ride of decent distance extra fuel would be needed.

16. It's not about the bike it's about fitness and skill/experience IMHO (or getting it, the smart way), but that bike looks badass and seems like a very good choice.

17. KevinD

KevinD Modulator Staff Member

Good for your dad, Andrew!

Tell him I scratched that same itch with my DRZ, and I'm not all that much younger than he is.

Make sure both of you make one (or more!) of Empire's rides this year!

KevinD

18. PeteN95

PeteN95 Moderator Staff Member

Looks like a fun bike, I am sure he will have fun on it. I know some guys who are well over 60 and still racing. They would kick your ass in the trails!

19. I have a trials bike with a seat, your dad is welcome to try it anytime. Also, I'm way older than your dad. His height and age are not limiting factors. Hell, I still do wheelies and get insane speeding tickets.

20. There's a guy in his 70s that runs the enduros on a similar style bike. I think his is an older Pampera.