Opinion on License Plate Placement

Discussion in 'Bellingham' started by RideMotto, Apr 21, 2010.

1. I'm curious what other sport bike riders think about the placement of the license plate in the two kits shown below. I want to replace my ugly stock fender with one of these.
    My favorite fender eliminator kits are shown below, but if anyone has a better idea or kit, let me know.

I like this one because it is sleek and out of the way.
    [​IMG]

I like this one because it is better than the stock fender, but more functional than the previous kit, in that it leaves the possibility of strapping stuff to the passenger seat.
    [​IMG]

Thoughts?

2. tecari

Both are going to get you a ticket> You can bend the second one down to make it a legal.

3. I like the second one as well.

4. Second one you can bend it as needed, UP or Down.

I keep my plate like almost ---- at about the middle of the tail, cop behind you can read it but the flashing cameras cant.

5. All I can find is RCW 46.16.240 (seen here), which basically says it has to be mounted horizontally, no more than 4 ft from the ground, and legible, it says nothing about the angle or distance from the rear of the vehicle.
    Why do you think they will both be illegal?

6. MichelinMan

MichelinMan Moderator
    Staff Member

Incorrect.

First one is illegal. Second one is how I have mine placed and have confirmed with local LEO that it's ok.

Your research is correct. The second is not illegal.

7. yard sale

yard sale snowshoe kitten... prrr...
    1. kKk

hate to say it but i agree with MM

8. Why is the first illegal?

9. johnny5021

i have one like #2

10. Blues Brothers

Blues Brothers Mr. Pickles

The first one is not legal because it's not readily viewable.

Once around any dirty roads and it won't be visible at all.

11. Point and point, makes my choice easier. Thanks.

12. Blues Brothers

You're welcome.

We wouldn't want to be reading how you received a performance award for bad plate placement in another thread.

13. Well, now that I look at it more, the RCW is vague in stating that "license number plates shall be attached conspicuously" and "can be plainly seen and read at all times." As long as #1 is conspicuous, which is arguable, and can be plainly seen and read at all times, which is also arguable, and will require constant cleaning of the plate after dirty roads, one might be able to make the claim in court that it is legal. BUT, that means you'd have to endure being constantly pulled over and would have to take your tickets to court to stand up for yourself. It is do-able, but I don't know if it is worth it. #1 is questionable at best with regard to legality.

14. Blues Brothers

The aggravation isn’t worth your time or money.

15. james1300

james1300 Track School Dazed

I went to the Sportbike Clinic 2 weeks ago.
    Many great speakers including WSP patrolman.
    WSP officer said he looks for Non-factory plates. He hates the first pictured.
    His words where, "If it didnt come from the factory, it isnt legal".
    That goes for plate re-location, after market turn siganls, exhausts, and HID lites. He talked about ALL of those mods. NONE are legal in the street.
    This officer has an RC51 and had a Daytona 675SE.

Ya gotta ask yourself, is it worth it?

16. i have the first one.....and i've ridden two bikes with the same kit for a few years now
    i've been pulled over twice this year just because of the plate location

me personally....i'd go with the first one...just because thats me
    but
    i would strongly suggest the second one....you'll get a lot less troubles for it

17. Those have been around for well over a decade, their legality is no longer in question, despite what you may believe.

18. Apoc76

I Ride:
    2001 RC51, 2006 Yamaha Roadliner

Important part in the RCW.

"It is unlawful to use any holders, frames, or any materials that in any manner change, alter, or make the vehicle license number plates illegible."

19. ... meaning what exactly? They are both illegal, legal, or one is legal and the other is not?
    Despite what you may believe, depending on funds, ability to present legal evidence, and debating techniques the law is not always a fine line.