Opinions on a new bike...

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by DirtySV, May 21, 2012.

1. So I have been out of the riding scene for a couple years. I've been riding my dual sport XR600r on the streets and its time to get a new bike. I need opinions on what kind of bike to go with. The list is organized most important to least important. The bike I am thinking of is an FZ6 or an FZ8. Brand is not important just a name brand. I've owned an SV650 and don't really want to get another one I want something different. My list is probably unrealistic but its what I want.

-Sport bike only that's naked.
    -Has to be around $5k.
    -Fuel injection only.
    -Within 6 years old.
    -I am looking for a v-twin around 600-800cc(preferable but doesn't have to be I just like the sound)
    -Belt/shaft instead of a chain is a plus.
    -Single side swing arm.

Any ideas? Thank you!8)

2. Grantizzle

Grantizzle Moderator
    Staff Member

lol.... lots of contradicting going on in those requirements.

3. Something like this?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcd/3019920700.html

The Guzzi's have shaft drives, are semi naked, around the right displacement. The V7 Cafe is reasonably sporty. It's definitely a V-Twin. No single sided swingarm, though.

Otherwise you're probably looking at a used Versys or a Ninja 650 in that price range.

4. Well forget the year limit and you want twin belt and SSSA? Let me know if you find one.

I would say
    Triumph Speed Triple.
    Buell
    Ducati Monster
    Triumph Speed Triple.
    Aprilia Tuono
    Triumph Speed Triple.
    Moto Guzzi

Have Fun!

5. Sorry to be so contradicting. Basically I am looking for another bike like an SV650. I can live with a chain, normal swing arm, and inline. Just prefer something different. I'll look into the Ducati Monster and Triump Speed Triple.

6. TL 1000
    Duck
    ??

7. TRAIL BOSS

TRAIL BOSS Defiler of Threads

I Ride:
    for OPRT with an '07 SXV550 (The Darkness) and a '13 ZX14R (Mjölnir).
    V4 Tuono.... Just take out a loan. :mrgreen:

8. What about a VFR800? Any opinions on that bike?

9. rjw

rjw

fz1 lots of balls very comfy for long rides but very sporty

10. Don't forget Triumph STREET triple............

11. sbafus

The Street Triple would be a great choice although it's tough to find one in good condition at $5k. There are a few Speed Triple options at that price being that the Speed has been in production longer. The first bikes that come to mind are the FZ1, FZ8, VFR, or Speed Triple.

12. jnicola

jnicola Shredical

Is the FZ1 setup with fully adjustable suspension (compression, damping, etc)?

I seem to recall the ones I've seen all having nice fully adjustable suspension. The FZ6 and the FZ8 however just have preload on the front, and rebound on the rear (again, as I recall from in person and at Beaverton Honda).

Anyways, if the FZ1 offers the best suspension out of them all, just go with the FZ1 and run it a gear high so it pulls like an FZ8.

13. Forgot about the er6n. I need to research these bikes. I honestly don't need or want a 1000cc bike. Speed triple looks like a nice bike but may be out of my price range.

14. You might be able to find an sv1000 if you're lucky. They are super rad.
    On my list for no shit.

15. FZ6Rider

I Ride:
    S1000RR & Track R6
    You can buy this
    [​IMG]
    20K miles but in great shape.

16. I am digging on the Street Triple. If I were to buy another bike tomorrow that's probably what it would be...although it would be in ADDITION to my current bike.

I had a Ninja 650R before the Sprint and that was a good bike too. I was a little scrunched on it at 6'1" but I still really enjoyed that bike. They also sell a naked version of the 650r which I believe goes by ER-6n.

Good luck!

17. likhi

I Ride:
    Yamaha R6
    BMW F800S if you can find one. Belt drive. 800cc. Within 6 years. FI. Semi-faired like the SV650.
    [​IMG]

#17 likhi, May 22, 2012
    Last edited: May 22, 2012
  18. Pretty comprehensive list, but i'd add that looking for a single sided swingarm narrows down the possibility, and really jacks up the price. Only halfway close match for the price would be an older Monster. But if money is a concern, the maintenance costs on a higher mileage Duc are going to eat you up. I'd add the older Z1000, SV1000, and just because I like them, the Brutale. You'd probably find a nice Brutale in the 6k range, but amazing bikes.

We never, ever recommend BMW F800s here. There's a history.. :ninja:

19. RedKat600

RedKat600 Vintage Screwball
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    2003 Copper SV1K
    Yeah, dey hawt.

[​IMG]

20. Get your money together and go ride some bikes. If you hand someone cash all but people you don't want to do business with will let your ride it.

How you fit and feel riding the bike is important.

For 5k you have ALOT of options.

BTW go old skool and get a GT650 Honda Hawk. They come up for sale every now and again.

Also you might try and find the not so common kawi z750, Honda 599 hornet or Triumph speed four.

Have Fun!

#20 kmannth, May 22, 2012
    Last edited: May 22, 2012