Our dear friend, 307T

Discussion in 'Portland Region' started by ccrider, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Jeff was in an accident Tuesday which left him in critical condition. A truck ran a stop sign and hit him while he was riding.
    Jeff's family has set up a website for his friends and family to get updates on his progress: caringbridge.org/visit/jeffbutts

2. This is awful
    Sending prayers for jeff and his family .
    Jeff heal up fast your the best .

thanks for the link carol

3. ninjaofdoom

ninjaofdoom <a href="http://pnwriders.com/motorcycle-talk/8554

Aww man :( Prayers for a speedy and full recovery!

4. galenernest

galenernest I bathe with candles, flowers, jazz music, and rub

I Ride:
    Jialing 150 enduro
    Best wishes for Jeff and his family!

5. Heal fast Jeff, best wishes for a speedy recovery!

6. I met Jeff just a few weeks ago; on a ride. My best wishes for him and his family.

7. heal quickly, jeff.

8. glitch

I heard about this on the radio the other day, and read about it here:

http://www.oregonlive.com/aloha/index.ssf/2010/11/lifeflight_responding_to_motorcycle_versus_truck_crash_in_aloha.html
    http://www.oregonlive.com/aloha/index.ssf/2010/11/motorcyclist_in_critical_condition_after_crash_in_aloha.html

And a coworker found this photo from the accident site:
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=458458376935&set=a.56915846935.68823.52494926935

I don't know the rider, but after reading about the accident I drove up there the other day to take a look. That intersection is very close to where I live. I've walked and driven and ridden through that intersection many times.

There is limited visibility in a couple of the directions (use google streetview and you can see for yourself), with raised berms & tall grasses & mixed elevations & shrubbery etc.

It looks to me (and I'm not a professional) like the truck blew through the stop sign while southbound on Miller Hill Rd, locked up all 4 wheels and skidded all the way across Gassner before coming to a stop.

A fraction of a second earlier or later, and this accident might have been just a dangerous near miss.

I hope he gets well soon.

#9 glitch, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  9. Wow. Sorry to hear about this. Sending wishes for a full & speedy recovery.

10. Transported

I Ride:
    2006 FZ1
    That beautiful Harley...

Jeff is a skilled rider who is also cautious and safety minded. He is also one of the biggest contributors to PNWR (he helped found the safety committee and the Look Twice For Bikes campaign) and is a mainstay in the Portland area motorcycle scene.

Jeff could always be called upon to help out, from crunching accident statistics, to helping mentor other riders, to educating the media, to educating riders and being the first to lend a hand. He helped me out countless times over the years.

Jeff is the proof that you can do everything right (loud, colorful bike; full gear; skilled, cautious, with excellent judgment riding a well-maintained bike) and still succumb to bad luck. It gets the best of us.

Praying for a full recovery, Jeff.

11. Clay G

What is needed?!?

Jeff is simply NOT the person that this happens to! PLEASE realize it can happen anytime and to ANY of us.

Those in contact, please tell us what is needed.

12. oh man. Jeff is probably the most sane rider I know and a good one to boot. I've ridden w/ him a couple times and he is always in check.

Get well soon Jeff!!

13. Speedy recovery Jeff!!! When you're able to, the first cheeseburger and coke are on me!!!

14. So sorry this happened Jeff, here to a fast and complete recovery!

15. dragracer1951

dragracer1951 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh man...that ain't good..
    Thoughts and prayers sent.

16. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider Post Whore (In Training)

Always looked forward to riding with Jeff, always in control, must have come from that dirt racing background.

Looking forward to when he is out of the coma and can have visitors.

17. Damn!

Jeff is one of the nicest people I've ever met. He always has a good word for everyone, and definitely has (had?) the nicest looking HD I've ever seen...I would often post a pic I took of it from one of the 2 stroke rides on HD threads as an example of what I always thought they should have made.

I hope he has a relatively quick and complete recovery. My thoughts go out to him, his family, and his close friends. Heal quickly Jeff!

#18 Quicklimegirl, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  18. Jeff's Awesome ride:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. mfrankpdx

mfrankpdx Retired

This is shocking. Jeff is one of the most vigilant riders I've met.

Get well soon Jeff!