close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Portland to Hood Canal on Friday

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by wooden, May 6, 2015.

1. Meeting my mother in Hood Canal for Mother's Day weekend and naturally want to avoid I-5. Looking at Google, this looks like a pretty fun route:
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Por...1a1f4e0426!2m2!1d-122.779298!2d47.6578779!3e0

Just posting up to see if I should know anything about these highways - I've only driven/ridden out as far as Cathlamet on HWY 4, everything past that is new territory to me.

Anything to look out for?
    Construction that I should avoid?
    Long stretches without gas? (I get about 130-150 miles on a tank on this STR)
    Good restaurants along the way? I'll probably head out around noon or 1pm so I'll need to stop for dinner at some point.

Thanks,
    Chip

2. I don't think you will have any worries about gas stops on any stretch of your route.
    Depending on your schedule, a nice alternative to your route is to take Hwy 30 into Astoria and cross over the bridge up into Naselle, then connect to Hwy 101. Word of caution about speeding on 101, I always see cops whenever I ride through there.
    Another suggestion is instead of going through Belfair, and Bremerton, take 101 along Hood Canal and come down through Poulsbo into Seabeck, or try that route on the return trip.

3. Thanks - I'm actually ending up in Seabeck so I may take that advice.

I'll try my best not to speed on 101...:ninja: Despite having put at least twice as many miles on my car/bike in Oregon than Washington, I've somehow got twice as many tickets in Washington (I grew up in the Seattle area).