close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Problem finding boots

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by Mr Mike, Oct 31, 2014.

1. I have a rare birth defect in my right foot known as localized gigantism, where my big toe grew too much tissue. Not to disgust anyone, but the best description is that it looks sort of like the Elephant Man. :tard: All things considered, I'm pretty lucky because this normally happens to people's hands, whereas I can hide it in a shoe and not have any problems with day-to-day functions.

HOWEVER,
    I've always had a hard time fitting shoes. The foot is both wide AND tall. Currently, I typically wear a size 13 or 14, 4E width. If I could order split sizes, I'd be wearing a size 12 or smaller on the left foot in a normal width, but I make do by cinching down the laces as much as possible.

I'm trying to find a set of riding boots, but I don't know of anywhere that carries anything in my size. Can anyone recommend a store that I could visit to try on a few different pairs? My other option is to possibly go with Vendramini if nothing pans out, but I'd rather try a standard company rather than going the full bling route right off the bat.

2. Picked up my size 14 Alpinestars touring boots at Hinshaws. Had my choice of the A* or a pair of Tourmaster at that time. I wear a 15 normally but the A* fit quite nicely.

Of course that only works if you are near Auburn....

3. You must have been lucky, because I went in there in September and they only stock up to size 12 in anything.

4. Just skim your right toe on the pavement for a few miles. It will grind down to size eventually xD.

In all seriousness that must suck. Sorry for not having any useful advice.

5. I already had the second toe amputated greenchai: We were hoping the bones would move closer together to narrow the foot, but I'm not sure it did much other than narrow the tip of my toebox (if that makes sense)

I talked to Revzilla today and I think I scared them. Also sent an email to TCX to see if they have anything to say. Sidi ignored me.

6. 15 here. My answer to your problem is "lol"

7. Your foot? What a pain. I have the same problem but it's my pecker. It's huge. Thank god I don't have to put a shoe on it.
    Things could be worse. Count our blessings........

Wes

8. Alpinestars run almost a full size bigger than a normal shoe/boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

9. Thanks all, I'm going to start looking into those options.

I've been reading that the Toucans have been popular for us sasquatch types.

Yeah, you really don't know what you've just claimed. It's not a good thing like you are thinking :mrgreen: do some google image searches and you'll crap yourself, lol.

10. It hit me all the sudden when the girl next door came downstairs to my basement bedroom to tell me she loved me and that I was her boyfriend, I had just turned twelve. Had been a hot boring summer. All I remember was her last name was Tuttle and she was a little older than me. I've had trouble with my pecker ever since....................

11. Seattle cycle center. They are advertising size 50 in a"First Gear" boot. I picked up my a* goretex ones there a couple of years ago.

12. Not necessarily motorcycle boots, but White boots in Spokane will custom make you a pair of VERY nice boots custom made for your feet.
    You can get them waterproof too.
    Not inexpensive, but may well be the best answer for you

13. Done. Waiting for word from him...

I will check that out!

I currently wear a pair of Danner Quarry, and a work boot vs. a real motorcycle boot is apparent, at least when talking about an MX boot. Ankle support, a bit of shin guard, and better protection/reinforcement across the vamp of the boot.

I also contacted TCX and got the following response:

They forwarded on my email to Novation, their US subsidiary

Not necessarily a solution, but that's some great customer support. I'll make an effort to try TCX products!

14. Well, for whoever is following my adventure, I have a new entry:

I decided that I would first try some boots through RevZilla since returns are free. There is a return shipping cost, but I really don't have a reliable local source for large size boots, and I'd probably spend just as much in gas trying to drive out to a brick & mortar.

First in my trials was the Alpinestars Toucans in a size 13 (biggest I could order) since I've heard they run wide. I got them in today, and I can't even get my foot fully inside them. They are so incredibly narrow it makes me think the typical motorcyclist has baby feet.

So, my next move is for some Sidi Adventure Rains (or Gore-Tex, same thing) in a size 15. :angry7:

15. PeteN95

PeteN95 Moderator Staff Member

16. Surprisingly, I really don't have a problem shifting. However, I should probably move the lever higher to more of a 10:00 position instead of a 9:00.

17. Update:

I went to CycleGear and tried on some O'neal Rider boots in a size 14, and I could cram in for the first time. However, just standing still, they pinch terribly where the 5th metatarsal meets the cuboid (i.e., too narrow).

My Sidi Adventure Rains just arrived at 3:30 today, and they might be a winner.
    Width wise, they are not bad. When I walk and they bend , I get a sharp pain (again at the base of the 5th metatarsal) which might go away as they wear in. I think I can ignore it since I don't plan to be hiking.
    A bit snug on the right foot, but they could be professionally stretched easily, or just wear in. The left is a bit floaty, but I'm used to that in other shoes.
    As for length, they are a mile long. My toes end at the far end of the gear change panel, and there's about 1" of boot left to go. I'm not sure if that's much of a danger, since my normal boots run long as well. I don't think I could go a size down because I'd lose width.

Hope my adventures help someone else someday!