Question about checking valve clearance on motorcycles

Discussion in 'Mechanical & Technical' started by bukwld, Mar 11, 2009.

1. bukwld

bukwld
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

So I'm somewhat mechanically knowledgable, but have never had my valves checked on my bike. They were checked when I bought the bike from the dealership, but here is my question..

Coming into a new season, I'm over the 16K on my bike and want to do or have the valve clearance checked. I have the manual but am afraid of tearing down my top end to do this. Is this something that is seriously hard and I should pay to have just this done, or is it really that hard and I can ask a fellow member to give me a hand one day doing this and perhaps they can show me how to do it for future references?

Anyone willing to volunteer as well? I provide beer, food, etc..

2. galenernest

galenernest
    Expand Collapse
    I bathe with candles, flowers, jazz music, and rub

I Ride:
    Jialing 150 enduro
    You should be able to do it on your own. What kind of bike is it? Some bikes use shims, and some are adjustable with a screw. I did my old ninja and it was really easy. You may need to buy a valve cover gasket, but I was able to save mine. From start to finish, it only took about an hour. But if it needs shims, it might take longer and you'll have to order them. The service manual should tell you. But, either way, you don't have to take apart the head, just pop the valve covers off :)

3. bukwld

bukwld
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

forgot to mention. its a 2001 Honda CBR 929RR

4. gixer_racer

gixer_racer
    Expand Collapse

Checking them is relatively easy. Adjusting them if they are shim under bucket (most bikes these days), that can be a bit more involved as you have to pull out the cams, etc. and if you don't get everything back just right you can do some serious damage.

5. rowlex

rowlex
    Expand Collapse

hmmmmmmmmmmmm, if you decide to do this buk, count me in, my valves need checking to.

6. galenernest

galenernest
    Expand Collapse
    I bathe with candles, flowers, jazz music, and rub

I Ride:
    Jialing 150 enduro
    Honda's need clearance adjustments? Guess it would be worth checking if it's at the interval. My Honda CBR900rr (1993) clearances didn't move a bit even up until I sold it at close to 50k. They built that motor right :)

7. wsmc831

wsmc831
    Expand Collapse

not uncommon at all for several to be out at the first adjustment, and not need anything further till at least the 50k mile mark.

checking them is easy, adjusting them isn't really hard if you have a couple tools and correct shims.

whether you do it yourself or have it done is up to you, and how much you want to save money and have it done correctly.

8. bukwld

bukwld
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

im going to stop by a local shop or two after work today and get a quote. All I really want is the Valves checked and I can do the rest myself. I'd rather save money and have them do the hardest thing and from there do the rest myself with what I know how to do. Spark plugs, etc are the items that I know how to do.

9. reppin505

reppin505
    Expand Collapse

Hey guys,

So whatever happened to this? I have my throttle body pulled off and i'm checking the fuel injectors, but looking at the valves they are really dirty and burned. And i think i see oil down there :shock: Is it supposed to be like that?

It's hard to find any references online, and the manual is not covering this subject very well.

This is a 2005 GSXR 750. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks guys.

10. reppin505

reppin505
    Expand Collapse

11. reppin505

reppin505
    Expand Collapse

Does anyone have a feeler guage to check the clearances on my valves that i can borrow? I live in the Renton/Tukwila area.

Thanks.

12. Borgnine

Borgnine
    Expand Collapse

buy a feeler gauge---they're only a few bucks and you can use them to check your spark plug gap as well.

To the OP, I suggest getting a Haynes or Clymer manual and familiarizing yourself with your machine. Even if you decide never to adjust the valves, you'll be much more familiar with your bike's inner workings.

13. bukwld

bukwld
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I have the manual for the bike as I am the OP. I didn't feel like doing it myself. The local dealership is charging me $500 for a full 16K tune-up on the bike. I'd rather have them do it just in case something stupid happens..

14. Mithras

Mithras
    Expand Collapse

Save your money....enough people on the forum know how to check these things.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting this checked asap, Hondas are usually so well built they don't require tampering at low miles...IMO

#14 Mithras, Mar 21, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  15. schmidts

schmidts
    Expand Collapse

most modern sport bike motors generally only use two types of shims. One type requires you to take out the cams in order to replace the shims and some of the older ones don't require cam removal. If there is another type I haven't seen it (this excludes ducati as that is a completely different monster). Checking the valve clearance is very easy and for the most part only involves taking the valve cover off and turning the motor over which can be done with the real wheel in most cases. Feeler gages are cheap don't be afraid to buy one. Use a book to help you (clymer or Haynes).