Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ripped off by bike seller need help

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by CB400f, Jun 14, 2012.

  1. I bought a 1984 RZ350 with what seemed like a clear title. When I went to transfer the title I found that that bike actually belongs to the Washington State devision of Child support. It appears he still had the title from before Child Support ceased all his belongings and that's the one he gave me.

    Of course the guy has dropped off the face of the planet now. I'm wondering if anybody has ever had this happen to them and what they did.

    I have a call into Child Support but I'm not thinking they will be any help at all.

    I haven't called the police yet because I'm guessing they'll just take the bike and I'll never see my money.

    I'm pissed off enough that I'm considering selling the bike with full disclosure to recoup my money and move on but I doubt anybody would want it.

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    This is so lame.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  2. Selling the bike is knowingly selling stolen property and you WILL go to jail.

  3. I knew somebody would post the obvious. Thanks for getting that out of the way so hopefully somebody can post something to help me with my problem.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
    yard sale and Flaerion like this.
  4. He's good at that.
    ninjaofdoom likes this.
  5. I would get the police involved, and the Child Support group immediately. They probably don't want the bike (Child Support) and might be able to help you out. As in you might be able to keep the bike in the end.

    The police will help by hopefully catching the dirt-bag, so this won't happen with the rest of "his" property.
  6. DCS? Sure, they'll let you keep the bike. As soon as you pay them what they think it's worth.

    Sorry you're going through this man.
  7. Devil1

    Devil1 Blingaphobe

    Did you not get all his info when you bought the bike? Address?

    I do every time. I just ask for the license and I use it in the bill of sale.
  8. Dude. Av is right. From a legal sense, you're probably in possession of stolen property. If you sell it to someone else, YOU are knowingly selling something that you know isn't legally owned. The only smart thing to do at this point is call your local PD and get the ball rolling.

    If you think you're taking it in the shorts by losing money, think about the kids/family that this bike really belongs to. If the bike belongs to CPS, then it belongs to the family of a deadbeat dad. They're the ones getting screwed here.. If the state is seizing assets, it's because he's not paying his child support.
  9. How much did you pay for the bike? Sounds like you are about to get screwed, not sure there is anything you can do about it. Sorry.
  10. yard sale

    yard sale snowshoe kitten... prrr...

    did you make the mistake of meeting the dude in a parking lot somewhere rather than his house?
    have you tried going to the address on the title or registration if different?
    good example why you should run a carfax on anything with a vin.
    if you have exhausted all available means of finding the dude i'd go to the police station and file a report. its unlikely they'd just take the bike imo but why bring them to your house & give them the chance.
    DSHS won't do shit.
  11. Looks to me like the frame is bent, you might want to get a new one............


    [edit] For what it's worth, Support Enforcement most likely won't work with you on this. For all their concerned you could be a "friend' of the deadbeat trying to beat the system for him. Trust me, my ex never pays her support, and subsequently she doesn't own anything, even though she has a car...
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  12. My parents are both CPS. I just shot my Dad a text..
  13. I just talked to my Dad about it. He's been a CPS investigator for many years, and has worked in Wa CPS for about 5 or 6 years. He said he's never heard of titles being listed with DSHS , CPS, or Child Support. For assets to be seized, you have to have a court order, and the belonging has to have some serious value. Unless there was a court order back when the bike had actual value (85 or so), it wouldn't make financial sense for the court to pursue it. Why not just garnish wages and tax returns instead? If the guy had a court order to surrender assets, and didn't surrender them, he'd probably end up in jail for contempt of court. This doesn't sound right..
  14. Edit: The state can put a lien on a title for non payment. Is this what you meant? Doesn't belong to you dude. Call the cops..
  15. dscott3509

    dscott3509 Parts Collector

    Call a lawyer. You're out some money already, get some lawyerly advice and see how to best protect yourself from this point forward.
  16. :popcorn:
  17. Yes a lien is what I meant, thanks everybody for the help so far. Do you think your dad would talk to me? I have the Child Support Case number.
  18. The address on the title is not his current address.
  19. That is some fucked up shit right there. Some people just need a good old fashioned ass whuppin. :violent1:
  20. Attorney, police. The latter can track the dude down, the former can sue for damages.
Similar Threads Forum Date
Your preferred method of removing a stripped screw? Mechanical & Technical Jan 31, 2015
A silly tripped out video. Motorcycle Talk Sep 15, 2014
Stripped a screw... Mechanical & Technical Jul 30, 2014
Looking for a pro at removing broken/stripped bolts Mechanical & Technical Apr 15, 2014
Heli coil stripped oil filter Mechanical & Technical Apr 7, 2014