Shooting at Sturgis

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by Pointman, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Not your usual suspects....."to serve and protect" my ass.

STURGIS, S.D. - An off-duty Seattle police officer attending South Dakota's famous Sturgis Motorcycle Rally has been detained in connection with a shooting that left one man injured early Saturday morning, sources have confirmed.

The shooting followed a confrontation between Hell's Angels Motorcycle gang members and members of the Iron Pigs Motorcycle club, South Dakota investigators said. Iron Pigs is a riding club that often counts law enforcement officers among its membership, according to the club's website.

During the altercation, two shots were fired and one of the Hell's Angel members was struck. That man was taken to a local hospital for treatment and his condition was unknown.

Authorities detained the suspected shooter, a Seattle officer, but he has not been arrested.

"Early this morning, the Seattle Police Department received notification that one of our officers was involved in an off-duty shooting in Sturgis, South Dakota," said a statement released by the Seattle Police Department Saturday. "We believe that four other off-duty Seattle Police officers were present when the shooting occurred," the statement reads.

http://www.komonews.com/news/26476894.html

2. Well until the full story comes out even police have the right to use self defense. And the last time I checked the Hells Angels weren't known for riding unicorns and hugging people.

3. I can see those two clubs getting together... the slightest spark... bad things happen, cops are typically better trained than hells angles.

4. :mfclap:

5. I didn't see anything in the story about the HA's shooting anyone..

Why were the cops packing at a bar crowded with people?

I thought concealed weapons were against the law in such places- cops are not excluded from laws that you and I have to obey.

(The S.D CCW permit is valid throughout South Dakota except in any licensed on-sale malt beverage or alcoholic beverage establishment that derives over one-half of its total income from the sale of malt or alcoholic beverages (SDCL 23-7-8.1);)

And S.D. does not recognized CCWs issued in WA.

http://www.state.sd.us/attorney/office/news/concealed.asp

http://www.ironpigs.com/

6. I'm still gonna reserve judgement until the full story is out.

***News flash*** Cops dont need CCW's. Even off duty.

7. "Equal treatment under the law"

Then they do not represent you and I and Constitution if they're above the law we're required to observe.

8. You have every right to go through the same training, background and hiring process as them. The only thing stopping you from becoming a cop and enjoying all of their "extra rights" is you.

9. I'm pretty sure that cops can (and are encouraged to) carry anywhere when off duty

"cops are not excluded from laws that you and I have to obey."

what, are you new?
    they are excluded from most of the laws that effect us :secret:
    (speeding, hov usage, turn signals, red lights, stop signs, ect...)

cops aren't required to have a CPL

10. i also will wait to hear all the details, but i still give the cop the benefit of the doubt. notice, the hell's angel was struck, not killed. perhaps if the H.A. was the shooter this story would be about murder?

11. arent cops also required to assist or "be a hero" even when off duty? dont they get in trouble if they ignore something serious?

12. Kolat

Kolat emw2k9 beer pong champions

got a link to the law that states that?

anyways South dakota DOES honor washingtons CCW.

http://sdsos.gov/adminservices/concealedpistolpermits.shtm#Recognition

There's no reciprocation I.E. washington does'nt recognize theirs, but they recognize a CCW issued in any state.

T

13. I'm pretty sure the first part is true (don't know about getting in trouble for not doing so)
    if they see something dangerous, they are supposed to get involved

14. HR 218 allows fully commissioned cops and retired cops to carry nation wide. No CCW needed.

Cops are not required to get involved but are encouraged to do so (depending on the policies of their agency) if the situation could result in grievous bodily harm or the death of another.

15. mfrankpdx

mfrankpdx Retired

Wherever there are Hells Angels, there will be violence. The end.

16. OOk

OOk beansbaxter is too lazy to come up with something

douchebag on douchbag violence. All this "gang" shit is ghey as hell.

17. Kolat

Kolat emw2k9 beer pong champions

Thnx was'nt sure if that was national or state.

T

18. Been there and done that -but there are no "extra rights" or we're no better than criminals that operate outside of the law everyone else must comply with.

You either obey them or break them- 8)

19. Who shot whom? :thefinge: