should i fight ticket?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by WaGigKPN, May 10, 2012.

1. WaGigKPN

WaGigKPN
    Expand Collapse

I Ride:
    2000 XR650R
    Ok...so here goes...this happened on i5 NB near JBLM. it was around 6 pm so rush hour was winding down, but still possible sudden stop and go traffic.

I merge on to i5. blinker on. check lane 1 and 2 in mirror...very very clear. i move into lane 1 but dont accelerate so the cars in front can still merge. i double check lane 2. blinker still on. i move over to lane 2. now i am catching up to some cars infront of me in lane 2 and there is a brown truck moving faster than me in lane 3 but he is not up to my position yet. There is still room for me to make a quick switch to lane 3 and accelerate so i dont cut the brown truck off. i make a split second decision to change to lane 3 and accelerate just in case the brown truck is speeding. I put blinker on, lean over and make a quick lane change. i accelerate past the car that was in lane 2 and double check my mirror to make sure brown truck is not on my ass. im good so i let off the throttle and blinker again to move all the way over to lane 4 behind a white prius. i am now safely in the left lane and settling in for my jaunt up i5 to my exit home.

i look in my mirror prob 10 seconds later and LEO is there. I think cool. no big deal. 5-8 seconds later i double check. LEO is 8-10 ft off my rear tire. i think, not so cool, i blinker and move right. leo drags behind me and then moves over. now i know i am gonna get lit up. i blinker and move all the way to right and get pulled over.

leo asks why i was weaving and making lane change without blinker? saying i was driving aggressively. I state i did not weave and was sure i used blinkers. i stated i was moving to the left lane on my way home to avoid stop/go traffic in the right lanes. This was the only thing i was able to say about my actions. i get a 124$ ticket for improper lane change and he says he is giving me a break by not giving me an aggressive driving ticket.

My conclusion is that when switching to lane 3 from lane 2 i made a decision to accelerate toward what i knew was ahead of me instead of hitting breaks leaving myself open to being rear ended. (my worst fear while on the highway). I suppose in the future i will wait and let brown truck pass then move to lane 3. but i still want to take this ticket to court. i am convinced that i was proactive and did what i considered to be the safest decision at the time. whenever i run into slowing traffic i go on red alert...

thoughts?

2. WRtard

WRtard
    Expand Collapse

yes, fight the ticket....always.

3. KillermondoDude

KillermondoDude
    Expand Collapse
    Intellectually Sphinctered

fight it

aggressive lane changes my ass its so i dont get fuckin CREAMED the most dangerous place to be is in a merge/ offramp area

Jeanie Mucklestone has had a buncha tickets dropped on me

pay a lawyer save on insurance or pay fine and make up that cost and then some with higher premiums

4. lazyeye

lazyeye
    Expand Collapse

I Ride:
    CBR600RR, Bolt
    Lawyer up. Fight every one.

5. Texasl

Texasl
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    2007 Moto Guzzi Norge, 1988 H-D (Project) Electra-Glide
    Definitely fight that bugger. If you signal intent and move into an opening w/o cutting off a vehicle, there is no standard as to how expeditiously you execute the maneuver.

6. WaGigKPN

WaGigKPN
    Expand Collapse

I Ride:
    2000 XR650R
    i dont necessarily want to pay for a lawyer...over 124 bucks...and i already paid for this years insurance...

7. WaGigKPN

WaGigKPN
    Expand Collapse

I Ride:
    2000 XR650R
    LEO stated and will state in his report that i did not signal. my word vs his...

I ALWAYS SIGNAL, NO MATTER WHAT.

8. Bluuu

Bluuu
    Expand Collapse
    Señor verde

I Ride:
    a motorcycle
    Always defend yourself against alleged infractions of the law. You have a right to defend yourself. Why would anyone even consider admitting guilt?

9. cletus

cletus
    Expand Collapse

What about next year's insurance? Fight the ticket....especially when you didn't do anything wrong.

10. inod3

inod3
    Expand Collapse

+1

11. mehoff636

mehoff636
    Expand Collapse

yes but what about the next year insurance or the years after that??

12. Bluuu

Bluuu
    Expand Collapse
    Señor verde

I Ride:
    a motorcycle
    It's not only "this year's" insurance you need to worry about. It's the next few years after this.

13. bukwld

bukwld
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

9 out of 10 times, the judge will believe the officer regardless. Officers are sworn people that are trusted to uphold the law, and even they will make mistakes. Writing in the report is all the officer has to do, and the judge will normally believe that based upon the reports.

My wife got a ticket a few years ago, and the officer made numerous errors on the ticket (hair color, eye color, and even her sex). She chose to fight it, and the judge just reduced the ticket and didn't even dismiss it based on that.

Needless to say, more than likely you will lose (hate to say it) if you defend yourself, and paying a few hundred for a lawyer will get it reduced to some kind of a non-moving violation (which happened with my recent one and my wife's recent one), and all we had to do was pay a fine.

The biggest risk you take is your insurance going up. Granted you already paid this year, but you have 3 more years of rate hikes, and you need to figure that into it.

That is why I choose to fight the tickets because on insurance rates on a few bikes and two cars. Cost of lawyer and fine is way cheaper than rate hikes on all of those.

14. WaGigKPN

WaGigKPN
    Expand Collapse

I Ride:
    2000 XR650R
    ok ok...your right. next years insurance...i wonder how much an 'improper lane change' will effect it. i do plan on fighting it but on the grounds of did i have a blinker on or not i dont see the judge siding with me...therefore i see it sticking. i am kind of upset that the LEO says i didnt have a blinker on. I told him respectfully i disagreed with him that i did not have a blinker on. I did agree that i made the lane change quickly. (from lane 2-3 not 1-3).

I did make a mistake of apologizing to him but that was out of feeling remorse for being pulled over. i never want to do anything to get pulled over. i did tell him thank you for not tagging me with aggressive driving. At that point i would lawyer up for sure...

BTW, anyone see me? quite a few bikes went by...the when i renewed tabs the DOL gave me new plates and apparently put the wrong plate # on my registration...i was there for 30 min at least...i was totally expecting a thread of shame when i got on my computer the next day!

#14 WaGigKPN, May 10, 2012
    Last edited: May 10, 2012
  15. Thaloc

Thaloc
    Expand Collapse

If you fight request video from the dash cam. It will either prove you signaled or didnt, it will also show the officers point of view while lane changing. Could be as simple as your left blinker was blocked from view, he assumed, ticketed you, and will be easily dismissed.

16. cletus

cletus
    Expand Collapse

Chances are that he botched something when writting the ticket - its easy to do. A lawyer will spot it and will likely get it dismissed.

17. WaGigKPN

WaGigKPN
    Expand Collapse

I Ride:
    2000 XR650R
    he said my hair was bwn when it is in fact blond...that count?

18. Are_Six

Are_Six
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

It certainly speaks to his ability to see clearly. Though you probably had your helmet on... Fight it. Hope he made a mistake in the processing of the ticket (hair color won't get it thrown out).

File for discovery, ask for everything you can think of. It might be on video, but since you used your turn signal that could only help your case.

19. tunus

tunus
    Expand Collapse

I Ride:
    the slow kind fast.
    It might be the case that your blinker was not on for long enough before executing the lane change. You admitted yourself that it was a swift change. I have been pulled over for the exact same reason and my blinker was ON, but the cop said I executed the lane change before my turn signal blinked 5 times.:tard: I was shocked at the reason but the stop was an endorsement check and did not get a ticket, so I was happy to let it go. I never checked if there is any RCW stating the blinker duration requirement.

20. cletus

cletus
    Expand Collapse

LOL. Probably not.