close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

So maybe upgrade the DRZ to

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by GroverDill, May 26, 2015.

1. This?

https://spokane.craigslist.org/mcy/5038520182.html

576cc and 6speed sounds like a nice improvement over the 400cc 5speed

I think I would be out a couple hundred bucks at most. Insurance is only 30 bucks a year more.

I think its worth checking out. I know a couple guys have 610's on here any input?

2. Love my 610 and that's super low miles but...your DRZ has way more aftermarket support. Even factory parts you may have to wait for. Once you have a 610 dialed in it's a glorious thing! They are only 315 lbs to! When you go ride it you should know that the Husky motors are noisy, they tick and clatter a bit but that's normal. I put some Heidenau K73's on mine and it does well on or off road.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2015

3. I am supposed to go look at it this weekend, hope it checks out.

Any specific areas I should check?

4. Buy it!
    It's a little more "rough" compared to your DRZ, more noise,vibration, hard seat, But better brakes suspension and lots more power.

Look at the clutch cable it will need replaced soon if it has not been already.

Look at the front sprocket spines, the 610 can eat them. See many with a welded on counter sprocket.

If you get it replace the metal oil screen with a new one. Many documented failures due to vibration/fatigue then eating the motor.

Great Bike I miss mine.

5. Thanks for the input. I have been reading about some of the must fixes on these things.

I am supposed to check it out Saturday evening

6. Ironically, I bought mine from a guy in Rathdrum. I got a smokin' deal on mine with lots of farkles and 2000 miles all for $4000. I love it and echo all the 'fixes' to look into. Don't let that scare you- I'm at 12,000 miles and still haven't replaced my cam chain tensioner. It doesn't need it but I'll replace it soon anyway. Also, later on you'll want to replace the clutch spring rivets with heavier duty versions. There's a guy that makes them. As far as parts availability- you won't need parts for this unless you break something so don't worry about sourcing parts. Hell, go to any Kawasaki dealership and ask for a KLR part- they'll have to order those too! Buy it and ride it- it won't need anything in the near future except oil changes and fuel and it'll be a vast improvement over the DRZ for damn near the same amount of money! The ONLY thing I miss having is a cush drive but you'll learn to improve your throttle control so you don't get chain snatch and jerkynous.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  7. Yeah I think if I buy it I will be able to sell the DRZ and damn near recoup the cost of the Husky.

The DRZ will be sold with both set of wheels so I think around 4k is a legit price

8. If I had the money I'd buy that right out from under you, lol. I hope you get it and are able to sell that to some sucker for the price you paid for the Husky! It honestly amazes me that people are willing to pay more for less, thinking they're coming out ahead.

9. He took 3900 for it. 1 rear turn signal dosent work and he "modded" the airbox cover..

At his house
    [​IMG]

home
    [​IMG]

DRZ 4 sale
    [​IMG]

Airbox side cover hole, will need to fix.

[​IMG]

10. Sweeeeeet!
    Unless it bothers you on the appearance, don't get a new air box cover, just fine some fiberglass screen laying around and epoxy it on. I've modded mine way more than that and it just allows the filter to breathe more.
    I see you now have 2 Italian mistresses. One made in the Aprilia factory and one made in the MV Agusta factory!

Btw, I've got 2 of the turn signals if you plan on staying stock. I prefer the LED style and could recommend some if you plan on going that direction.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  11. Oh cool, maybe i can finish off the airbox cover so it looks a little better.

12. Here ya go. I made a paper pattern and did this. Be aware that if you're going to cut it up you have to cut it leaving that middle section like I did otherwise you'll be hitting the standoffs.
    [​IMG]

And these are the turn signals I put on mine. My review is the one with the Husky:
    http://www.cyclegear.com/SPEEDMETAL-LED-Angle-Light-Turn-Signals

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  13. That helps and looks good, I will give that a try vs replacing the panel.

Thanks for the picture.

14. DRZ sold 4k!

1st guy bought it.

KevinD likes this.
  15. HA! I told you so.... Good for you!:mfclap:

16. So going over the bike, its not beat but looks like basic maint has been deferred.

left hand bag filter was pretty dirty with non metal crap, right side was clean.

Counter shaft bolt appears fine, I am looking for a 38mm socket before putting it back together. Inside case looked clean and fresh.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I attempted to clean the cuts on the air-box some, it looks a little better.

[​IMG]

this bolt spun in the airbox and was a PITA to get out, I am going to try some JB weld to resecure it.
    [​IMG]

Holy shit so many nuts and bolts were loose, motor mounts, foot pegs, water pump cover.
    case covers, wow.

checked out the rear signals and as suspected it was the blinker itself not the wiring.

need oil filter
    blinkers
    oil
    case of brake clean to clean it up since its kind of apart.
    air box screen

Registered it and trimmed up the monster rear fender a tad.
    [​IMG]

anything else I should do since its currently down?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  17. For the airbox nuts I used small hose clamps around them to hold them tight- works really well! Also, just use fiberglass screen door mesh for the air box and epoxy it in place. It's not uncommon to find crap in the cylindrical screens- most folks that bought these brand new didn't know about them. Clean them out once and they'll probably be fine from then on. Some of the TE630's seem to have some problems with these but only a few. I have found engine mount bolts to be missing after rides so it doesn't surprise me that everything is loose- that's normal for a single. Just use blue Locktite and check up on that during routine maintenance. Put that thing back together and go ride, dammit!:mrgreen:

18. Thanks for the tip for the small hose clamps, works perfect and no jb weld mess!

I am waiting for oil filter and turn signals.....

Dont feel too bad the Tuono will get me by.

19. The nonmetal in the left-hand side is okay, known issue with epoxy coming off the stator. Freaked me out when I first saw.