So my car just burnt down....

Discussion in 'Corvallis / Albany' started by Motocompo, Dec 13, 2011.

1. A tragic event happened this evening. I lost my faithful 1988 Porsche 944 Turbo, which has been my daily driver (when I am not riding :evil4:). Was turning left off 99E south of Corvallis when the engine bay erupted in flames. Nobody was physically hurt, but it left a scar on my heart.

From the little poking around I was able to do, it looks like one of the fuel lines (Lindsey Racing SS lines) ruptured where it meet the hard body lines buried in the fender well. Never would have caught it in my normal maintenance routine. Needless to say the car had been running perfectly up to that point.

Currently I am on borrowed time where I am storing so I will need to get what I want off it and then turn it over to either a yard or someone else. I don't have the facilities to start a rebuild like this. I may end up seeing if anyone here would like any parts off the car in the classified section in the next day or so. The damage was contained to the engine bay and passengers front side.

Sleep well my car. May your parts serve me in the future.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1 Motocompo, Dec 13, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  2. Gotama

Gotama WMRRA 1st VP

I Ride:
    a lawnmower
    wow sorry to hear that

3. Oh man!! No good dude! RIP little red car! Sorry to hear about that, its never fun (I had an s-10 catch fire once)

4. Oh WOW :(... so sorry ...

5. Very sad, those were great cars. For sure, it would be a total, just due to the amount of electrical damage.

6. james1300

james1300 Track School Dazed

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. They are beauiful cars.
    I'm headed out today to add an extinguisher for my Rx7.

7. Yep, lesson learned. Every car from this point forward will have a fire extinguisher.

8. That has to be so shitty... I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Specially since the car seemed to have more love given to it than most. Any hope with insurance?

9. james1300

james1300 Track School Dazed

Halotron Extinguisher>>http://www.smokesign.com/5lbhafiex.html

Clean agent, leaves no residue. Won't cause thermal shock to electrical equipment. Ideal for areas where residue could pose potential problems.
    Unlike dri-chem extinguishers, this agent won't leave a 'powder' mess.

10. koorbloh

koorbloh Je Fa Fa

I Ride:
    dirty bikes!
    daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang

sorry, man. that sucks.

11. Rippn

Rippn Human Race Qualifier<br>FREE and clean

Sorry man...
    FREE and clean, Ripp'n

12. MichelinMan

MichelinMan Moderator
    Staff Member

Man that sucks. Hopefully you get something figured out ASAP. :(

13. What a tragedy. One of my favorite cars that's actually attainable. Hopefully you're able to find another one.

14. BOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Sorry. Those are great models.

15. NOOOOOOOOOOO! :( Such a sad day!

16. Bad week for German cars it seems, my VR6 Jetta lost a rod cruising up I5 and now I gotta tear it apart and do naughty things to its guts...sorry for your loss man, that sucks...

17. Sad Day man.

Great Car, Glad nobody was hurt

18. Corse

Sorry to see that man. Horrible news :( You'd expect a 20+ year old fuel line to rupture (fuel rail line failures common on those for old lines) but not a newer line. :( That sucks man. I miss my old 944. Terrible to see a 951 go down.

19. ducatichick

ducatichick Wench

Glad you are OK!! Sorry for your loss of a cool car.

Seems VW/Porsche have issues with catching fire - my husband lost a 412 and a boyfriend from 20 years ago lost his 914. My 2 VWs survived my abuse, however.

My mom lost her early 90's Camry to fire - a mouse had built a nest in the heater ducts. Apparently it's quite common for Toyotas....anyhow, she was driving to work one early morning (in NH) and smoke came out of the vents - then flames - then she bailed out. The fire happened so quickly and was so hot it melted her aluminum snow shovel in the trunk. She misses that shovel.

20. My dad once had a 68 Charger that did something similar. He cried. My dad is a stone tough, stalwart man with not visible emotions. To see him cry scared the crap out of me. I'm sorry for your loss.