So what's the deal with KTMs?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by Juilin, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Juilin

Juilin Captain Pubic

I have nothing against them, I honestly don't know shit about them--but I hear people complaining about the cost of ownership and throwing money away etc. etc.

Then you have others that swear they're the best dirt bikes/sumos/etc. out there. A few are pretty enticing, at least on paper. I know everyone has an opinion about certain brands, but I'm just looking for a few here be it good or bad.

2. shelbyguy

shelbyguy Picture Whore

KTM hands down makes the best dirt/sumo/enduro bike available.

parts interchangeability, reliably, performance.

3. The 690 SMC is sex and powah.

Kost Too Much.

You gotta pay to play.

4. nuK

nuK

And They're Orange!

Orange is good....Orange is reliable....If it doesn't work you can always hit somebody with it.

[​IMG]

#5 nuK, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  5. Grantizzle

Grantizzle Moderator
    Staff Member

OP, wanna ride one and see for yourself?

6. Juilin

Juilin Captain Pubic

What do you think?

7. Grantizzle

Grantizzle Moderator
    Staff Member

then PM debi, shelbyguy, or khustla. they all have ktms.

(lol. i have a beat up supermoto if you wanna give it a whirl next week sometime.)

KevinD likes this.
  8. I bought a super nice 95 Super Enduro, after 45 years of Jap bikes.. my first Euro bike. Im 6'6" and its a really big assed bike but it doesnt seem too big to me. Its cool to have a lot of power in a dirt bike, even tho I have no plans for dirt other than gravel roads.
    Coming off a Yamaha Vmax it is super light and handles great. Ive only bought stuff to make it more my bike.. some Honda bend handlebars and some exhaust inserts to quiet it down. All that was ok, but when I dropped one tooth on the countershaft sprocket, it seemd like a lot of stuff had to be removed to get to the gear itself.. but it made it waaaaay zippier so it was worth it. KTM seats are way cheap, windscreensare a great price... but over 800$ for one muffler????????!!!! Crazy! So far I love mine but I would never get rid or my Honda XR65R.. ITs great to have the choices isnt it!

9. I agree they are fucking rad. I worked at a ktm dealer for 2 years, and a ktm supermoto is my next bike purchase.

10. I just bought my first ktm (03 250sx) and I'm in love.

Parts for it range from like 2002-2009ish.
    And it's orange.

11. Find us a track and you can take mine out :evil4:

Yep ... so close to the old Chevy Competition Orange to hehe
    [​IMG]

yes I do :mrgreen:
    -----------------------------------------------

I myself am a "EX" Suzuki girl ... note I said "EX" hehe... KTM rocks and like Normy said.... interchangeable, reliable and damn good performance off the showroom floor ;)
    Oh and they're SEXY too
    [​IMG]

12. I don't think anyone makes a bad motorcycle. I also don't think an orange one stands head and shoulders (or anywhere near blue) above any other brand. Mx, sm, or ss.

13. If you own a KTM prepare for a Helicopter ride and a totaled bike after all your broken bones heal.

[​IMG]

buy a 2013 CRF450 they look sick :evil4:
    [​IMG]

14. antivalve

People pay a lot of money to shave a little weight. Ktm upgrades its self!?! Awesome!
    There well suspended, powerful, reliable bikes no corners cut well maybe a gusset. Loved my old 525exc no cracks in the neck but also no 100 doubles hmmm

15. shelbyguy

shelbyguy Picture Whore

lol@gusset

:) few will get , others will chuckle

16. shelbyguy

shelbyguy Picture Whore

[​IMG]

17. +1

I have owned and rode a lot of different brands of motorcycles over the years. I used to hate KTM. I thought they were overpriced and over rated. Until I rode one

My first KTM was a 2008 Superduke R. I miss this bike terribly. It was one of the best street bikes I have ever owned.
    [​IMG]

I sold my 2007 Yamaha yz450f to buy this.
    [​IMG]
    Best dirt bike I have ever owned bar none. It was perfect out of the box. I have only changed the handle bars mostly because they were there in the garage. I could go on and on about this bike :mrgreen:

Latest edition is the RC8R. I love this bike.
    [​IMG]
    It is the barcalounger of sportbikes. It has quickly become my all time favorite #1 sportbike I have owned. I suppose I am a little biased but I have been extremely happy with the brand.

When you own one you can walk around the house with these on....

[​IMG]

Derick

18. Yes, Ktm's are death machines...but crf's are cool because they look sick!

...almost as sick as a drz.

19. Remind me again how ktm did in AMA MX BEFORE all the fast guys were hurt? Tell me all about how good ktm is doing in AMA road racing? Talk to me about how affordable any ktm is?