close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Stolen, salvaged < too good to be true

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by Revelstoker, May 12, 2014.

1. http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/mcy/4465903757.html

Any thoughts on the title issue and why the seller is so hard core on not getting a replacement?

Anyone tried to get a title and would buying a WA and trying to get a title in OR create a bigger hassle?

I will contact the seller and see what he says but, I am thinking there has to be a catch for the price to be so low.

2. RedKat600

RedKat600 Vintage Screwball Staff Member

Get the VIN and run it. If they won't give you the VIN, walk away.

3. Some people are hard headed. He seems to think that he could get $2K more for the bike with a title, but it's not worth it for him to get a title?! Either rich and hardheaded or stupid and hardheaded. Or the bike is hot. Take your pick. I wouldn't want to deal with any of those kinds of people.

Why in the heck would he have "Toyota Nissan Ford Chevy Dodge" for keywords?!

IMO, keywords just waste people's time and screw up searches for what you are really looking for.

4. KevinD

KevinD Modulator Staff Member

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

KevinD

5. If he legally owned it, getting a title would be easy. Title is probably held by a finance company somewhere, making this bike stolen.

6. DGA

DGA Moderator

Sounds like you can buy it, never license it, and you are in the clear. ;)

7. Douche #1: Man, I need money! I'm going to tell the insurance company that my bike got stolen!

Douche #2: Sweet! I'll take the bike, I'll give you $2k for it, AND you'll get the insurance money. Everybody wins! If I ever want to get rid of it, I'll just sell it without a title.

Douche #1: Deal!

Guess what? There are even members on this forum that pull this sketchy bullshit. You've been advised.

DGA likes this.
  8. Yeah, that's when I take a moment and flag their ad. If I'm searching for something specific, I don't want to see what everyone else has. Some guys get ridiculous with naming every bike ever made at the end of the ad.

9. Yep. I was looking for a Porsche Cayenne the other day and up popped ads for a Yaris and a Trans Am with T-tops. A fucking Yaris. Like I'd suddenly say "come to think of it that would make me much happier".

Slightly more on topic, how does one "run a VIN number"?

10. You can run it for free with autochecker and it will tell you the year, model, etc. If you pay then it will give you details about it being sold, bought, serviced, miles, etc.

That is, with automobiles. Not sure if it works on bikes the same way.

11. Would the bike be worth any more if the guy had the three year provisional title? (the one you get when you file for a lost title and the last registered owner doesn't claim it) Probably not and that is why he hasn't bothered with it.

Everyone wants to assume something shady is going on, but that isn't always the case. Is it a possibility? Hell yeah it is. That is why serious buyers will either just buy the damn thing, or run the vin number if they are against buying stolen goods. A lot of people don't care about a bike being stolen from a bank or insurance company. He is probably tired of everyone wasting his time, and that is why he is straight to the point in his ad.

12. RedKat600

RedKat600 Vintage Screwball Staff Member

You can check the Fed database for free here, MC and cars:

https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck