Stoner To Retire Rumors?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by nakedinseattle, May 17, 2012.

1. nakedinseattle

nakedinseattle
    Expand Collapse

updated with 2 links/stories

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-racing-news-moto-gp/casey-stoner-announces-retirement/20668.html

ACCORDING to MotoGP pundit Neil Spalding, Casey Stoner has announced that he will be retiring from the sport at the end of this season.

The news has exploded on Twitter after Spalding revealed the announcement, from within the press conference ahead of the French GP at Le Mans. This was backed up with subsequent tweets from the official MotoGP and HRC feeds.

another link with more info

http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/179806/1/casey_stoner_to_retire_from_motogp.html another link with story

Reigning double world champion Casey Stoner has made the shock announcement that he will retire from MotoGP at the end of the 2012 season.

The 26-year-old, who vehemently denied retirement rumours at the previous Estoril round, made the announcement during the pre-event press conference ahead of this weekend's French Grand Prix at Le Mans.

The Australian has been a full time grand prix rider since 2002, winning twice in 125cc, five times in 250cc and 35 times since moving to MotoGP in 2006.

Stoner won Ducati's only MotoGP title at his first attempt in 2007, then won a second world crown after switching to Repsol Honda for 2011.

Stoner, who currently leads the 2012 MotoGP standings by one point over Yamaha's Jorge Lorenzo, became a father for the first time just before the start of this season.

“After a long time thinking, a lot of time talking with my family and my wife, this has been coming for a couple of years now but at the end of this 2012 season I will be not racing in the 2013 Championship," the official MotoGP website quotes Stoner as saying.

"I will be finishing my career at the end of this season in MotoGP, and go forward in different things in my life.

"After so many years of doing this sport which I love, and which myself and my family made so many sacrifices for, after so many years of trying to get to where we have gotten to at this point, this sport has changed a lot and it has changed to the point where I am not enjoying it.

"I don't have the passion for it and so at this time it's better if I retire now.

"There are a lot of things that have disappointed me, and also a lot of things I have loved about this sport, but unfortunately the balance has gone in the wrong direction.

"And so, basically, we won't be continuing any more. It would be nice if I could say I would stay one more year, but then where does it stop? So we decided to finish everything as we are now."

Seven time MotoGP champion Valentino Rossi used the same press conference to again insist that he will race on for at least another two years, despite a report in the UK's Daily Telegraph claiming that he would retire at the end of the year.

Rossi and fellow world champion Lorenzo both said that Stoner's departure will be a big loss for MotoGP.

All of the top riders are out of contract at the end of this season and Honda - without a title for four years prior to Stoner's arrival - must now try and find a replacement.

Stoner's team-mate Dani Pedrosa is third in the championship, and almost certain to be retained given Stoner's announcement.

Repsol Moto2 star Marc Marquez is expected to move to MotoGP next year, but - like all rookies - will not be able to ride for a factory team.

Will Honda now mount a determined pursuit of Lorenzo, or even Rossi, to fill the void?

Stoner has previously expressed an interest in Australia's V8 Supercar Championship and drove Craig Lowndes' TeamVodafone machine during a private test last December.

#1 nakedinseattle, May 17, 2012
    Last edited: May 17, 2012
  2. K2TheM

K2TheM
    Expand Collapse

Well he does have a newborn... maybe he wants to be a family man now.

3. Wyckedan

Wyckedan
    Expand Collapse

I Ride:
    RSV4 Factory
    He did just have a baby. Maybe he's doing what Rossi should have done 5 years ago

4. jwfzr

jwfzr
    Expand Collapse
    Two Wheel Art

This is how you do it. Rossi blew his chance years ago, he's been doing nothing but diminishing his legacy ever since. There is no doubt Stoner is the best of this generation.

5. 1 RED-RR

1 RED-RR
    Expand Collapse

Holy Schnikeys

Talk about going out on top!!

6. mulletman

mulletman
    Expand Collapse

But who will be the paddock's pansy whiner now?

Also... I'm calling it now: Lorenzo to Honda, Crutchlow to factory Yami, Rossi to privately financed Yami. Spies back to WSBK soon. Man he sucks something awful.

7. SingleTrackin

SingleTrackin
    Expand Collapse

I'm always interested to see where riders will go at the end of the season, but this kind of blows. Edwards yes, but Stoner....dayuum.

Do respect the decision though...Wonder if Dovi will return?

8. jwfzr

jwfzr
    Expand Collapse
    Two Wheel Art

The same one it's always been. ROSSI.

9. ninjaofdoom

ninjaofdoom
    Expand Collapse
    <a href="http://pnwriders.com/motorcycle-talk/8554

I say good on him. It's obvious, by him speaking out more and more, that he was less happy about things as time went on. He's got a family, plenty of money, and still young enough to enjoy something else.

10. 750Rider

750Rider
    Expand Collapse

Confirmed on the gp site as well.

11. Hayaku

Hayaku
    Expand Collapse

While in someone else, I would call this a ploy for more money out of Honda, I just don't think that's Stoner.

This is the statement that caught my attention. Be interesting to see what dirt might get dished during the post-retirement interview. Wish On The Throttle was still around to do it.

12. lazyeye

lazyeye
    Expand Collapse

I Ride:
    CBR600RR, Bolt
    Wife and a kid will do that to you. I suspect he'll be back to racing in some form in a few years, you can't ever get rid of that part of you, especially when you're that good.

13. Wyckedan

Wyckedan
    Expand Collapse

I Ride:
    RSV4 Factory
    Stoner just confirmed it on Twitter as well. He'll be a strong voice of change now that he doesn't have sponsors to please

14. smonky

smonky
    Expand Collapse

hayden back to honda???

15. TheRock11

TheRock11
    Expand Collapse

WHAAAAAT!? I understand his thinking because of the current state of Rossi though

16. DGA

DGA
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Rossi to Honda...

17. BabyJordan

BabyJordan
    Expand Collapse

Dan, watch your MOUTH!!! :thefinge:

Stoner and Pedrosa are just so boring...I know I know that has nothing to do with racing but I like the guys with a personality

18. Lone Rider

Lone Rider
    Expand Collapse
    Streetfighter

One disappears into the woodwork and one comes out of it!

Good for him. I had a ton of respect for him before, and now admire his values even more.
    ( Being stinkin rich in a dangerous vocation with a family He obviously loves almost makes it a nobrainer imo)

The blurp about auto racing...,wouldnt that involve the same commitment and time away from family?

19. theJrod

theJrod
    Expand Collapse
    Racer Extraordinaire

Interesting for sure...

Wonder if it'll stick.

20. Lone Rider

Lone Rider
    Expand Collapse
    Streetfighter

Really, hear from this guy? He walked away on top too...,

[​IMG]

My memories will be of Stoner swapping sideways while braking on that POS during his championship run. Lap after lap. Stinkin bike would blow everything into the weeds on the straights but Caseys skill and courage was all that got it through the corners.

He did beat Rossi (at the top of his game) and all other comers that year. On a bike that NO ONE else can ride worth a dam before, then or since.