Strange noise from my CBR.

Discussion in 'Mechanical & Technical' started by Worldtraveller, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Worldtraveller

Worldtraveller
    Expand Collapse

I have been getting an odd noise, like something is on the rear tire that rubs every time it goes around. I've put it up on the rear stand and looked at the tire and brake disc, but can't find anything obvious.

I'm not 100% sure it's the tire, but it's occurring at about the right frequency, and slows as the bike slows (in neutral, regardless of engine speed).

Any ideas where to look? ('08 CBR600RR) I can't hear it when I rotate the rear tire on the stand, and I don't have a front stand, but couldn't find anything obvious on the front tire or brake discs, either.

2. 1shinysideup

1shinysideup
    Expand Collapse

I Ride:
    a barstool
    tire hugger?

3. WaGigKPN

WaGigKPN
    Expand Collapse

I Ride:
    2000 XR650R
    Dont worry, its just your imagination...Since you ride Honda nothing ever breaks so this is obviously in your mind...

Could be chain related...if you have used lots of chain wax it could be built up around the front sprocket and the gunk is rubbing on the chain...unlikely to be noticeable but if you have checked everything else...hell, maybe something got pulled up in there!

Could also be the bearings...

4. Clutchless45

Clutchless45
    Expand Collapse

whats it sound like? maybe bearings?have you tried pulling the clutch and killing the engine while you were rolling to try to hear it better? in an empty parking lot or somewhere safe of course.

5. D1ssent1ent01

D1ssent1ent01
    Expand Collapse

Wheel bearing?

6. Worldtraveller

Worldtraveller
    Expand Collapse

I suppose it could be a wheel bearing...that would suck. What would be the other signs of that? would there be play in one of the wheels at all?

I've had this bike serviced every 2k miles since I bought it new, but parts do wear out....I'm not sure that's something I could fix in my garage, but I have a friend with a bigger work space and more tools. Time to buy some more beer.

7. yard sale

yard sale
    Expand Collapse
    snowshoe kitten... prrr...
    1. kKk

transmogrifier going bad?

8. WaGigKPN

WaGigKPN
    Expand Collapse

I Ride:
    2000 XR650R
    I have not dealt with sport bike wheel bearings but on a dirt bike its as simple as taking the wheel off, push the old ones out and push the new ones in...Done...Very easy...

9. 1shinysideup

1shinysideup
    Expand Collapse

I Ride:
    a barstool
    fixt

10. WaGigKPN

WaGigKPN
    Expand Collapse

I Ride:
    2000 XR650R
    REp'd lol (guess i gave out my reps...maybe next time)

11. MarvTravis

MarvTravis
    Expand Collapse

I Ride:
    Kawasaki ZX-14
    To determine if you have a bad rear wheel bearing, loosen the rear axle, relocate the wheel all the way forward, remove the axle, slip the chain off the sprocket, and remove the wheel. You need to check all three bearings, (one on the cush-drive, and two on the wheel). Slip your finger into each of the bearings, and rotate the inner race. The inner race should rotate very smoothly, without any hint of roughness or grating. If any of the bearings are rough, replace all three, (they come as a set).

Once a wheel bearing begins to fail, it can degrade very quickly, so it's something that shouldn't be put off.

For a video explaining how to remove/replace the bearings, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArFC3xPHhGA[/url

#11 MarvTravis, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
    Worldtraveller likes this.
  12. mfrankpdx

mfrankpdx
    Expand Collapse
    Retired

It's probably just the sound of Yamahas passing you. :popcorn:

13. rmorten

rmorten
    Expand Collapse

Flux capacitor

14. fastfoodfred

fastfoodfred
    Expand Collapse

That is just the sound all Honda's make. It's called slow.

I was also going to say something about the chain or wheel bearings, but add something about your brake rotor. I have bent them before. Usually it will spread the pads and you won't have a rear brake at all. look for hot spots on the rotor or scoring if it's bad.

15. RedKat600

RedKat600
    Expand Collapse
    Vintage Screwball
    Staff Member

Sounds like a tight spot in the chain to me.

16. dragracer1951

dragracer1951
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Ding ding ding.....

17. Worldtraveller

Worldtraveller
    Expand Collapse

I've checked the brake discs, and all three are clean. I'm pretty sure it's not the brakes, or anything on the tires.

I haven't ruled this out yet, but I don't think so. Just to be sure, I cleaned and lubed the chain again (It had been about 1000 miles, instead of the usual 600), and I'll take it for a short ride to warm everything up and see if the noise is still there.

I think after doing the chain, I could hear a light squeak coming from the wheel itself as it was turning on the stand, which makes me think it might be the bearings. Doesn't look too hard to replace them (based on the video), but I will probably need some additional tools (that's a good excuse, right?).

18. RedKat600

RedKat600
    Expand Collapse
    Vintage Screwball
    Staff Member

For most bearings, you just need a drift and a hammer to remove them. For installation, just use a large socket for a driver. Piece of cake!

Out of curiosity, how many miles are on the chain?

19. mrwizard10

mrwizard10
    Expand Collapse

Please replicate the noise so we can better dianose your problem.

20. Worldtraveller

Worldtraveller
    Expand Collapse

The chain is original, so a bit over 16k. It's been lubed every 600 - 800 miles, and I clean it about every other time I lube it. I rode to work this morning, and the noise seemed to be gone, so maybe it was the chain. I'll take her for a longer ride this afternoon and see for sure. It had only been a bit over 1k miles since the last chain lube, but that included a couple of overnights where she sat out and got rained on, so that might be part of the reason.

Worse comes to worse, I'll pull the rear wheel and check the bearings next weekend, but if the chain lube fixed it, then I'll probably do TOR on Sunday. :D