Streetable four strokes

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by EVL, Jun 5, 2012.

1. EVL

EVL

Okay the laws keep changing and now as usual I am confused. Can anyone tell me which if any 450 four strokes (dirt bikes) are street able in WA? Also which KTM's can be converted. I wanna build another Supermoto and am trying to decide which bike to start with. I already own a DRZ supermoto so looking for something else.

2. It is my understanding that any and all dirt bikes 2 or 4 stroke can be converted to dual sport usage under the senate bill 5800. You need to install all of the lights, mirrors and other street legal equipment and then take it to your local power sports dealer, give them $100, and have them inspect and sign off on the conversion.

3. Husky SMR's are plated and near race ready out of the box. I have a 2009 SM450R I am considering putting up for sale if you might be interested. :mrgreen:

4. Texasl

Texasl Moderator
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    2007 Moto Guzzi Norge, 1988 H-D (Project) Electra-Glide
    Here is the hot info, straight from the Washington State Legislature.

If you can find the equipment to add on to meet the criteria, and if a dealer will inspect/sign off, you're in business.

5. EVL

EVL

Wow you guys are quick! I did a little digging and thought I would post bill 5800 and what do you know, Texasl already did. Thanks guys.
    Well that answers that! All Off road bikes can be streetable in washington! :thumblef:

6. Trick is finding a shop willing to sign off on the paperwork, most will not due to liability issues

7. jnicola

jnicola Shredical

Does anyone know by chance if these bikes plated under this law easily transfer to other states, namely Oregon?

8. What liability do they carry?

9. KevinD

KevinD Moderator
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    On two wheels
    Moved to Motorcycle Talk...

KevinD

10. I'm wondering the same thing. Since they are only signing off on lights, horn and tires, it seems pretty simple.

11. Texasl

Texasl Moderator
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    2007 Moto Guzzi Norge, 1988 H-D (Project) Electra-Glide
    Actually, there is no real liability on the part of the inspecting shop. (See section 3 of the legislation)

The shop is signing for the added parts themselves meeting the FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) called out, not the proper installation.

12. Cool, thanks.