the V4M MPG ride

Discussion in 'Westside' started by Vote4Missy, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Have you ever wondered just how far you can make it after you turned that reserve switch? Well I am thinking of going on a ride that will see just how far you stretch a few bucks. A competitive ride on city streets, BUT the goal is to get the best GAS MILEAGE!

So I am thinking it will be about a 100 mile ride and take about 3 - 4 hours, half in town and half high way driving.

We would be topping off our bikes at the same fuel station before we left and at the end to see our MPG. I think it would be best to do it at a reliable ethanol free station unless someone has a major objection and needs to keep their bike on a vegetarian diet lol. (E10 fuel is about 1% less efficient than the pure stuff and under normal circumstances that would be ok, but for this run I would like to use the dinosaur stuff)

We will be trying to maintain the speed limits and stay in the slow lanes except if the traffic is stop and go like, then we may switch lanes like to pass buses and tractors (if the highway gets congested we may take the HOV lane)

Remember the goal is to get the best MPG possible :tard:

All bikes are welcome (150cc or higher for the freeway though). I would love to see some diversity, who knows, you may find out that if you baby it your gixxer 1300 can get better mpg than that cbr250 :mrgreen:

if any of you like this idea for a cruze let me know and you guys can cough up some suggestions if ye have any.

2. My bike doesn't have "reserve".
    It has "regret".
    Neat idea.

3. I would be down for that! Keep us updated.

4. If your going to do it E10 free then they would need a dry tank or switch over a few tanks befor hand. But it sounds like fun.

5. Well i'm not super worried about the e10, I am just trying to get off the stuff so I figured it would be a good idea for a gas station to meet at. I use to use pure gas when I lived in Maysville, but I can't find a close station to my girlfriend's house in Kent were I have been staying.

As for a date, I think the soonest sunny weekend would be nice.

#5 Vote4Missy, Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  6. I like the idea. And I know that I'm already close to 55+ mpg just on my normal dinking-around riding. Even two-up I'm getting mid-50's.

I'll be looking for updates. Would prefer it to be post July 26th, as I'm riding RAMROD this year, and most of my recreational time is on the acoustic bike.

7. 55 mpg, that is crazy for a 650 and 2 up at that :shock:

8. R-Steve-R

R-Steve-R suzukigixxer

that will be late august ! lol

9. I think there should be a sunny weekend before August, it was even sunny today

10. NoMornings

I Ride:
    Vstrom, VF500F, VTR250
    Neat idea! Shame you're not closer - I'm getting too old to ride one of the VTR250's all the way there just to win! :nana

11. SivartR1

I Ride:
    '14 FLHXS
    Sounds fun, but I know I'm out of the running. I've never seen anything outside of 39-43 mpg. Strangely enough, my best mileage tank was from the "get to know your area" mud-man ride. Apparently my bike is happier playing in the twisties tach'd out than it is cruising 405 traffic.

12. KevinD

KevinD Moderator
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    On two wheels
    A sunny weekend?

What's that?

Gasoline engines run more efficiently at (or near) full throttle.

KevinD

13. I have gotten 62mpg on my Hyosung, only one time though. And that was loaded with 100lbs of gear. I normally get 50-55mpg.
    Posted via PNW Riders Mobile

14. Lol. my bike averages 47 mpg.. oh and that get to know your area pt two was FUN! i think i averaged 50 mpg that day.

15. BusaDave

I Ride:
    2015 CBR1000RR Repsol SP
    I might be down. The best I got on the Busa was 50.

16. Worst: 44mpg (WOT most of the time)
    Best: 69 mpg (Tulip ride cruise)

17. wow, I am not as impressed with my mpg anymore, but the idea is to see what is the best mpg you can get, the comparison at the end is just for bragging rights lol.

ps, I am starting to think my bike needs a tune up

18. When it comes to MPG's there's...

"No replacement for LACK of displacement."
    :ROTFLMAO:

My old '88 Hurricane 600 would get 60MPG when I was touring. She must have been running pretty lean with the CA smog crap, UNI filter, and V&H full exhaust and no jetting changes.

19. Are_Six

Are_Six Moderator
    Staff Member

Sounds boring and I think I'd lose. Out.

20. TRAIL BOSS

TRAIL BOSS Defiler of Threads

I Ride:
    for OPRT with an '07 SXV550 (The Darkness) and a '13 ZX14R (Mjölnir).
    My 10R gets 30mpg.

My SXV gets less than 20.

I'll just go ride some back roads while you guys are in town.