Think you have a nice helmet?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by Sentor, May 16, 2012.

1. [​IMG]

HJC Carbon AC-12

~60mph.

I face planted 5 years ago with my Shoei X-SPII, and not a scratch on my face.

I don't think I'll be buying HJC. The guy's visor didn't break either. I'm trying to get a pic of the helmet, but he's a bit immobilized.

2. got to love shoei

3. Yikes.

I bought an AGV GP-Tech to replace my stolen Shoei. Nothing but good things to say about either.

4. RedKat600

RedKat600 Vintage Screwball
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    2003 Copper SV1K
    I think it has more to do with Carbon Fiber than it does the brand dood. Carbon fiber splinters when it breaks and does nasty nasty things.

Shit looks painful. Hope they gave him some good drugs.

5. I'd like to see pics of the lid and details on the crash..

I have 2 AC-12 helmets but they are the standard Fiberglass/Spectra composite shell..

6. OUCH!!! more info on what happened?

7. This.
    That's freaky.
    MFG should get a copy of that photo as well.

8. Avboden

I Ride:
    1991 XR250L, 2007 BMW F800S, 1999 ATK 605 ESDS/SM
  9. Carbon and Fiberglass are both ceramics and are therefore brittle. Spectra is a thermoplastic and is therefore ductile. Spectra is some good stuff, but it's just UHMW Polyethylene in fiber form.

10. RedKat600

RedKat600 Vintage Screwball
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    2003 Copper SV1K

ZING! Still sure you want a Sharp rated helmet?

11. Was it the helmet that failed? Or was it something else that got past the helmet/face shield?
    Aren't most helmets tested at something like 30mph?

12. I'll try and figure out what happened exactly, and get some info on the helmet. I don't think he remembers anything about the actual accident, other than he hit the brakes too hard and probably lost the front.

13. PeteN95

PeteN95 Moderator
    Staff Member

I've used a lot of Carbon fiber, never seemed like a good helmet material.

14. It's probably a stretch to evaluate one helmet over another just based on only one photo. even if both dismounts were at equal speeds, the angle of impact is almost certainly different. Did either of you absorb any force with an arm or a leg before hitting the ground? Did a high-side launch one of you into the air so you actually fell from a greater height? etc.

Not defending HJC or knocking Shoei, just saying there's more to consider here.

15. Avboden

I Ride:
    1991 XR250L, 2007 BMW F800S, 1999 ATK 605 ESDS/SM
  16. Agree. Need to know the details, just as a manufacturer or helmet tester would want to know.

I am kinda curious if he just impacted AC pavement or any other objects as well. Example might be a guard rail, as they suck for motorcyclist big time.

17. Maybe the helmet never was a good fit in the first place.

18. Even if it didn't fit correctly, it should not have gashed his face like that :shock:

19. #20 sschering, May 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2012