close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tire warmers on your daily?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by Wes206, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Maybe this is overkill but it could be cool? Don't know much about them.

Just wondering if anyone runs tire warmers on their daily bike, get them warm before those cold morning rides...or maybe that is too much extra effort.

See if I get a whipping for this question haha but I'm curious so w.e.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  2. Is that a serious question?

3. Idk really lol. I have never really been to a track day or used any in person but I always kinda try and take the first couple miles a bit easier when it's cold out. Just popped into my head.

4. Are_Six

Are_Six Moderator Staff Member

I hope this isn't a serious question, but then I think "Ohh, PNW..." So maybe it is?

I would strongly recommend against it for several reasons.

First you probably don't commute with enough fury to maintain the high tire temperature. So the tires stickiness would actually decrease as you started riding.

Second you would seriously reduce the tires useful life. Heat cycling your tires every morning would leave them dried out carcesses in a few weeks.

You are better off just getting somebody elses race take-offs which have all the balled up rubber, and heat discoloration you want.

5. I don't actually wanna do it, I just wondered if people did. Don't know anything about them.

6. I like the question. But, what the first guy said.
    Still, it did give me the vision of someone heading to their garage with a cup of coffee and stripping off the warmers before hitting the morning commute. :mfclap:
    It is a shame that it seems any time someone asks a question they get flamed. This is part of 'The Big World' and SHOULD be a good place for someone to learn from people that have LEARNED and can help.

7. Taking it easy at first is a good idea. I lost the front end in a lowside, after riding awhile, then taking a short break, and then going right back at it at the same speed.

Of course, it was a very chilly February Kentucky morning, but still. It happens.

8. Ok..not trying to be an ass, just can't imagine anyone doing that. Get good street tires, enjoy. Save the track tires and tire warmers for the track.

9. Only if I put my street plastics on and run GP-A's on the road. It wouldn't surprise me if those crazy Mullholland guys run warmers before they ride that stretch.

10. PeteN95

PeteN95 Moderator Staff Member

If this is your morning commute, maybe?

[​IMG]

11. I would run warmers on low if:

someone set them up first thing after waking up
    turned them on
    and took them off when I was ready…

The last thing I want to do in the morning is… anything.

12. NoQuarter#121

NoQuarter#121 WMRRA #2 Overall Points Champion

Warmers are not necessary for street tires.

Real street tires (not race DOT's) are designed to heat up pretty quick to their operating temperature.
    Also, that operating temperature is much, much, lower than race tires.
    And they are typically recommended to run at a higher pressure.

Race tires require warmers to get them into their optimum operating temps quickly in race conditions.
    The sustained abuse of track acceleration and deceleration helps to keep them hot.
    The rears are also often run at lower pressures to help build and sustain heat.

So unless you are riding the mountain course at the isle of man on race rubber its unlikely you need warmers on a street bike with street tires.

13. This

aaand this