close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tool/Parts Inventory?

Discussion in 'Mechanical & Technical' started by Ryanthegreat1, Oct 21, 2011.

1. So what are all of you wrench monkeys doing for a home shop inventory system?

My collection of tools, auto parts, moto parts, random materials is getting to be too large to remember what all I have and where. I can never find what I am looking for and usually end up finding something I was looking for weeks ago after replacing it or giving up on finding it.

I would imagine that this is something that would be required to have for insurance purposed should things be stolen or destroyed?

I am sort of thinking about getting all nerdy about it and building a searchable database with make, model, serial number, value, LOCATION!, condition, description and maybe a picture. But that might be hard to do where say a google apps spreadsheet would be quick and easy and stored on the web and accessible from anywhere with any device. Maybe not as easy or clean for searches but still would have the content available and could be shared with people you might want to loan tools to?

Then taking this one step further with the location piece, how do you organize your shop spaces? I would assume tools go in tool boxes and on peg board on the wall but how about spare parts? Do you go with labeled tubs on shelves sort of like the Mythbusters M5 shop? What about big tools like a circular saw of doom? Maybe a power tools tub, or three? Or do you spend $$$$ and buy custom cabinets and work benches with storage under them?

I am sure a few of you will have great ideas on how to get this done and have systems already in place that are proven to work. So lets hear them!

2. I've got a tiny garage, so space is at a premium. My solution? I keep 90% of my tools at work, and keep only the fragile parts in my garage, all body panels are hung on the walls, my remaining wallspace is covered in shelving with auto parts being on one shelf, m/c parts on another, firearms related on yet another. I also have my power tools on home made quick connects, so the spot my bench grinder sits is also utilized by the benchtop drill press, cut-off saw and hydraulic press. As for the insurance purposes, I just take random pics of my overall inventory and adjust my policy if/when neccesary.

3. Yes space is at a premium in my garage as well. I don't think I have any parts as big as body panels, maybe motor cycle wheels and an engine are the largest parts I have and those are a little bit easier to keep track of, I think...

I can't keep tools at work and some of them I use infrequently and store those with family. That makes keeping an inventory even more important so I know that I actually own a tool and not have to repurchase.

The tipping point for me was the MAF in my truck died and I thought that I had one, because they are super hard to find and I buy them every time I see a good deal, so I went digging and digging and digging to no avail. So I ended up buying a used one at a premium to get the truck back on the road. Well two weeks later I go looking for my battery tender, that I still have not found, and dig up a mint condition MAF for my truck! Gah!

Now if only I had a searchable database of crap in my garage.

Maybe a database is too much? I sort of like the wall-o-tubs system the Mythbusters uses the more I think about it. So long as the tubs are labeled and the labels are all visible and the contents match the labels it should work. The problem with that system is what if you have a category for say... power tools and you only have a cordless drill and a circular saw in the tub with the rest of the space going to waste. That is not efficient use of the tiny square footage I have. I know someone is going to say "Just buy more power tools to fill the tub, problem solved!" While that is not a bad idea it, no it is a great idea if the budget would allow.

The other part of the solution needs to be cost effective. Yes I know there is going to be some investment I think tubs are like $8 each or so.

Oh! Tubs, what sort of plastic storage tubs does everyone like best? Are there super tough plastic tubs out there? Removable lids vs. those hinged fold together lids? Dimensions? 20 gallon tubs? 10 gallon? 60 gallon? I guess I would need storage shelve dimensions and figure out what tubs will fit efficiently while still fitting 90% of the larger things into them.

4. I use a spreadsheet.
    I have lots and lots of parts. Lots and lots of tools...
    Slowly but surely I'm getting them organized.
    Honest....

5. Jims08Z06

Jims08Z06 Bat Crazed

crackup:

Like DR just said I have a couple tools and stuff; Including most of the tools that my Dad spent around $100.00 for, too long ago to remember. That was about the time when I first started, taking things apart and not always getting them back together correctly. {the local Honda shop said bring another basket case and your on your own} I have tried to keep an up-to-date inventory, but gave up long ago. Safeco has pictures of everything at their office including house, shops and grounds. I just have the structures insured; The contents at an agreed value. As far as organization, that's easy. The tools go in the tool boxes, they each have their own place, ie. wrenches and sockets, and the various drives in numerical order. Specialty tools, pullers Mic's, compression testers torque wrenches in their own drawer. Opening any of the drawers one can tell immediately if something is missing as there is a space unoccupied. And since NO ONE is allowed to use my shop and I Do Not Loan Tools. It's hard not to know where everything is...AJ
    :popcorn:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  6. Cheep bastard solution for parts storage..

USPS flat rate boxes (free!) for small to medium size parts.. Box em, mark em and stick it on a shelf. USPS will ship a whole case of them to your house for free.

Tubs for bigger stuff.

Power tools.. In their case on the shelf. In my last garage I built a row of shelves 15" off the ceiling going all the way around the garage.. Great for easy access tool storage.

I try to keep all the hand tools in the tool box.. If you run out of space get a bigger box :)

You can also get file cabinets cheep at yard sales or auctions... I have a 6 drawer full supplies (sand paper, wiring, nuts bolts and so on) and another little 2 drawer for lathe tools and drills.