Trailer Questions

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by Furious Coder, May 23, 2012.

1. Furious Coder

Furious Coder
    Expand Collapse

1) Do trailers in WA need license plates? I guess motorcycle trailers qualify as Utility Trailers, correct?

2) This seems like a good way to flatspot your rear tire. Am I wrong? http://tow-ster.com/home

#1 Furious Coder, May 23, 2012
    Last edited: May 23, 2012
  2. KevinD

KevinD
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    On two wheels
    1) Yes

KevinD

3. RedKat600

RedKat600
    Expand Collapse
    Vintage Screwball
    Staff Member

1) Yes
    2) I would only use that if my bike was not able to make it home. Tire wear FTL.

It seems like a cool idea, but I have a nice ramp and a large truck for hauling my scooters.

4. rusty gearz

rusty gearz
    Expand Collapse

As an added bonus if your tie downs fail your bike will tip over and rather then sliding to a stop be towed behind your vehicles tell the straps break.

With a truck your only looking at some tip over damage.

No I would not use this product. Tire use, risk of damage. No,no,no

5. Wyckedan

Wyckedan
    Expand Collapse

I Ride:
    RSV4 Factory
    My neighbor was just telling me yesterday about watching a Gsxr 750 yardsale on the freeway when one of those failed. Never would I put my bike on one.

6. shelbyguy

shelbyguy
    Expand Collapse
    Picture Whore

I love my trucks, and trailer.....

7. FZ6Rider

FZ6Rider
    Expand Collapse

I Ride:
    S1000RR & Track R6
    +1

Besides bike falling and or dragging, I don't think your tranny will like to be spun without engine running. BAD IDEA!

8. Bluuu

Bluuu
    Expand Collapse
    Señor verde

I Ride:
    a motorcycle
    #2 looks sketch... Yikes!

9. Caps2000

Caps2000
    Expand Collapse

Can you imagine how badly the rear wheel of the bike would be hopping, and skipping around every time you hit a bump. No thanks.

10. Real Fast Travis

Real Fast Travis
    Expand Collapse

Yes, trailers require a plate, and registration....

If you're only towing one bike, there are some small solutions, that could be towed behind nearly any four wheeled vehicle....

Not sure what you're a towing with....

You'll need room, either on the trailer, or in the vehicle, for gear, gas, tools, food, water, etc...

11. Devil_Doc

Devil_Doc
    Expand Collapse

If you're looking at the tow option, i'm guessing you have a trailer hitch, but not a truck bed to haul it in? If you have a hitch, what about something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Carrier-Hauler-Trailer-Loading/dp/B0049IACSO

I've never personally used one, but the idea looks sound. Some are designed for dirtbikes only, some are quite a bit sturdier. This one is good for 600 lbs..

edit: If you're just looking to haul occasionally, why not look into the Uhaul motorcycle trailers? If you have a reciever hitch, would seem pretty cheap just to rent as needed rather than buying. ($15 a day, if i'm reading it correctly)

http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/EquipmentDetail.aspx?model=MT

#11 Devil_Doc, May 24, 2012
    Last edited: May 24, 2012
  12. Bluuu

Bluuu
    Expand Collapse
    Señor verde

I Ride:
    a motorcycle
    Late braker from b'ham came down for a ride a few weeks ago and had his bike on one of those and left his rig at my place while we rode.

He had it on the back of an suv with one of those hitches that's all tied into the frame. It looked pretty sweet. Was super easy to load and unload. The bike was strapped down solid and not going anywhere.

13. lazyeye

lazyeye
    Expand Collapse

I Ride:
    CBR600RR, Bolt
    Used utility trailers are pretty cheap and most of them time replacing the bearings or whatnot is an easy enough task.

One of those trailer hitch front wheel carriers looks like an awesome way to trash your bike.

14. Stringcheese

Stringcheese
    Expand Collapse

The hitch carrier from versahaul is a great way to transport your bike if you have a class IV hitch or better. Just need to install airbags in the rear of your SUV. If your vehicle won't support a class IV hitch look into something like "trailer in a bag" or the stinger. Both single rail trailers that fold up out of the way when not in use.

15. Runout

Runout
    Expand Collapse

It would be a good solution for quick trips to the mechanic. I wouldn't use it for more than a few miles, and never take it on the freeway.

I've thought about getting one since I've gotten rid of the pickup. Second one down looks a bit sturdier.

http://www.motorcycle-rack.com/MFWT.html

This thing looks good too. At least they know enough to include a chick in their ads.

http://www.undertakermts.com/

#15 Runout, May 24, 2012
    Last edited: May 24, 2012
  16. Real Fast Travis

Real Fast Travis
    Expand Collapse

See anything wrong with their FAQ's?

I'll highlight in red to help....

Answer #2 tells me they know nothing about how sport bikes work.....

Answer #7 proves it.....

This is a bad device....

17. mnewell

mnewell
    Expand Collapse

Can someone explain to me what damage this would cause to a normal chain driven motorcycle if left in neutral?

I understand how/why you can't tow an automatic car with it's wheels on the ground (unless you unhook/disable the axle/halfshafts). I also know that it is okay to tow a manual transmission car with it's drive wheels on the ground as long as you are in neutral.

How is a chain/belt driven motorcycle any different?

18. Real Fast Travis

Real Fast Travis
    Expand Collapse

If I understand it correctly, on a sport bike, where the transmission is in the engine case, when the rear wheel spins...so does the main shaft.

While that won't necessarily cause damage, if you're not on the bike, towing at speed, how would you know if something was going wrong?
    I don't know, but a hard bump could cause a dog to bounce in the transmission....and with the wheel turning at speed, not good.

Try throwing your bike into first or second from neutral at 55 mph....

But yeah, it isn't a guarantee to cause damage... I'd rather trailer my bike, or use a hitch carrier that gets both wheels of the ground....

19. I've got tow straps you can borrow for free if you'd like drag your bike behind your rig. ;)

20. KevinD

KevinD
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    On two wheels
    Will you ship the straps?

KevinD