Triumph sets New World Record at the Salt Flats

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by james1300, Oct 23, 2012.

1. james1300

james1300 Track School Dazed

Desalvo Does it!>>http://rideatriumph.com/disalvo-conquers-the-salt-flats/

DiSalvo Conquers the Salt Flats!
    Jason DiSalvo and his Rocket III set new world record at Bonneville.
    Latus Motors Racing rider Jason DiSalvo set new AMA and FIM land-speed racing records at the famed Bonneville Salt Flats with a Rocket III Roadster, fielded by the Hot Rod Conspiracy/Carpenter Racing team. He ran in the Modified (normally) Aspirated Fuel (MAF) class for motorcycles up to 3,000cc’s. DiSalvo’s initial run was 175.998mph, and his return run was 172.587mph for an average, world-record-setting speed of 174.276mph (280.470kph) for the flying mile and 174.880mph (281.443kph) for the flying kilometer. What’s amazing is this Rocket is fully streetable, using one of Bob Carpenter’s 240hp over-the-counter performance kits. The records are subject to FIM Ratification and anticipated to be reviewed during their November meeting in Valencia, Spain.
    [​IMG]
    The Triumph Rocket III already holds the record as the largest-displacement production motorcycle in history, but, apparently, one record wasn’t enough. At least that was the feeling of Latus Motors Racing’s Jason DiSalvo and the Hot Rod Conspiracy/Carpenter Racing team. Their fully streetable, 240hp Rocket III recently set new AMA and FIM land speed records at the legendary Bonneville Salt Flats, proving Triumph’s 2300cc powerhouse truly lives up to its name.

#1 james1300, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  2. Juilin

Juilin Captain Pubic

Must be pretty wild going 175mph on a naked bike.

3. Look at the salt caked up on the front of that thing!

4. Burphel

I Ride:
    2004 SV650S
    [​IMG]
    *MAF3000

5. james1300

james1300 Track School Dazed

6. Is that class only for naked bikes? I'm thinking a naturally aspirated busa, zx-14 or a number current liter bikes could go that fast (and they have)

7. Juilin

Juilin Captain Pubic

I was thinking naked bikes.

8. RedVFR

RedVFR Fast, Easy, and Old Fashioned

One wonders how it would do with a fairing on it....

9. Guess they need to go to the salt flats and get it official... although the speed of 376.363mph was set in 2010 by a motorcycle using two Suzuki engines... Current liter and liter plus bikes are limited to 188mph

#9 varment, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  10. Hmm yeah wonder what the exact ruling is on that

11. PeteN95

PeteN95 Moderator
    Staff Member

Bill Warner did 311mph on a non streamliner ("sit on") motorcycle powered by a single turbo Hayabusa motor last year and he did it in only 1.5 miles!?!

http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=45396

12. I'm thinking some of you are missing the fact that the triumph was on salt.

13. Talking to a group of friends who race cars on the salt, they say it feels like driving on a grated bridge deck and the car kind of wants to wander around. Plus the ground is softer, and there's very little traction to actually put power down.

Throw in the part that Bonneville is over 4,000 feet in altitude and usually damn hot during speed week, and there's a reason that a bike that'll do 180+ on pavement will go substantially slower up there.

14. PeteN95

PeteN95 Moderator
    Staff Member

It's slick, but you have plenty of space to get up to speed.

15. ZREX MIKE

I Ride:
    ZRX
    +1 Gettin' it done at Bonneville is a whole different game.

16. Hey!!! He finally won something! LOL

17. Why would they call it a World record if you can only do it at Bonneville. :stir:

Huge Congratulations to the Team, pushing the limits just because you can.

18. PeteN95

PeteN95 Moderator
    Staff Member

Bonneville is just one of the best places to set speed records because it is large and flat. The current overall land speed record is held by Thrust 2 and was done at the Black Rock Desert in NV. For many years Daytona Beach was the site of choice.

19. I get it why Bonneville is a good place to do this, no trucks, cars, trees, mothers pushing kids in prams and cyclists to mess you up :mrgreen:

Is the World record for the fastest Rocket III or is it the class of bike ? The Rocket is fuel injected and has a LARGE displacement so I can understand why it would be difficult to get a Busa or ZX14 to these RWHP figures without a turbo/fuel change. Is this class only for naked bikes ?

Is the sub 180mph more to do with the bikes aero, salt surface, altitude or a combination of all three ?

I just want to understand what the Team where up against. Also 240hp for a 4k engine kit seems cheap, I bet they had a few other mods :secret:

20. i honestly dont see why a vmaxx couldnt beat this pretty easily