Upcoming V-Strom 1000

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by mfrankpdx, Oct 5, 2012.

1. mfrankpdx

mfrankpdx Retired

Apparently this thing is coming. Since Suzuki hasn't introduced the 2013 V-Strom, I wonder if this is it, or it's coming next year.

[​IMG]

2. woof , drool ,, wow

3. It's been in a couple Euro shows. Supposedly mid/late 2013 it will be out.
    ABS, Traction control, inverted forks, single exhaust, different frame, single lamp, and they say a new engine but it looks just like my 2012's.

4. PeteN95

PeteN95 Moderator
    Staff Member

I wonder if it's lighter, which it needs. The engine looks a lot like my 2003 SV's too. :scratchea

5. pdxdave

I loved my 05 Wee but the real limiting factor for me was the 19" front wheel. I'd really rather see this bike with a 17" and aimed at the Multistrada. 99% of these bikes never go near dirt and having an affordable, reliable alternative to the 20k+ Duc would be a marketing win for Suzuki. As it is now the only other choice is the Tiger 1050, which at this point is my next bike.
    There's SO much advantage to an "adventure bike" on the street, in the fuel capacity, riding position and added suspension travel, add the that adjustable suspension, sportbike brakes and good rubber and you have a winner.
    I've dreamed of a zx10 Versys for a long time, or how about an R1 powered Super Tenere with 17" rubber and more brakes!
    Just sayin....

6. I couldnt agree more. I was riding some forest roads on my Vee adventure and its fine on "normal gravel and dirt, but thick gravel on an steep incline (Or ditch in my case with a steep edge) and in mud it's like moving a fat unwilling pig. I litterally went out and bought a folding shovel after that ride. I doubt they could shave 100 lbs from it, but it needs it. That said nothing else out there is any lighter, and I couldnt be happier with the 12. The 2013 "should" be even better.

7. I saw a transposed pic of the front and rear tire, it's looks like it still is a 19"

8. Suzuki Stevo

I Ride:
    Many
    Did they ever get the fuel map issues squared away that plagued the DL1000?

9. Not really, Thanks to the EPA, they have the timing retarded in gears 1-3, and in the low rpm's maps in gears 1-2 perhaps 3 they have it running too lean. So the only thing I have noticed on my 2012 is two times (in 1300 miles) I've had a hiccup, feels like a carb backfire, at 2800-2900 rpms. I've heard others say it was much worse for them. A yosh box reprogramming the computer to richen it up or adding a power commander v ($300) fixes the problems.

10. Suzuki Stevo

I Ride:
    Many
    What about having Nels do his magic to the fuel map?

11. +1

12. cjohns

cjohns sctnabt

Speaking of the 19" wheel, would it be that hard to convert a 17" wheel from an SV or something to fit on?

Maybe an SV fork conversion?

13. Putting SV forks on defeats the purpose of having an "adventure" bike. You lose travel, height etc... not a good combo for an ADV bike.

I still don't understand why you'd want a 17" front... if you were THAT concerned with getting "sporty" tires, why would you buy a Strom? I've got Anakees and Tourances on my Wee (among countless others I've tried), and I feel WAY more comfortable going "fast" on that thing than I ever did on any "real sportbike".

And when you way 99% never see dirt, I think you're exaggerating at least a bit :mrgreen:

Back on topic however, the new Strom looks QUITE badass IMO, definitely trying to mimic the BMW's, but doing so nicely. Not a HUGE fan of the beak though :rant

14. Suzuki Stevo

I Ride:
    Many
    Why? Having more rotating mass in front isn't a bad thing at all, yes the V-Strom's tip-in suffers from the 19" [not a sport bike] the idea behind the 19" is that the front tire rolls over rough terrain easier [intended purpose of bike], and the bigger flywheel up front makes it uber stable on the open road...why turn an apple into an orange :scratchea

15. PeteN95

PeteN95 Moderator
    Staff Member

You lose a small amount of ride height, but wheel diameter does not affect suspension travel. On a big ADV bike I would rather have a 17 because it would be more of an advantage on pavement that it would be a disadvantage on dirt, where you are likely to be using it more. Unless you actually going to spend more time on dirt, it isn't worth the 19. Same reason I'd take a Versys over a Wee. I raced Supermoto on a 17" front slick on dirt and it worked fine.

16. I realize wheel diameter does not affect suspension travel. It may sound crazy, but I know how motorcycles work. In fact, it's kinda what I do :)

SV forks have less travel than DL forks, period. It's not the wheel that's the issue.

EDIT: and racing supermotos on dirt is a different animal, those tracks are SET UP SPECIFICALLY FOR SUMOS. Having a 19" front with an "aggressive" street tire will do better for you 90% of the time in "the dirt" as compared to a 17" street tire.

#17 Mitch F, Oct 6, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  17. RedKat600

RedKat600 Vintage Screwball
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    2003 Copper SV1K
    Mimic the BMW's? Are you sure about that? Looks quite like a Ducati Multistrade to me....

[​IMG]

After looking more, looks like a Bimmer too!

[​IMG]

#18 RedKat600, Oct 6, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  18. Who copied the whole "beak" thing from BMW :tard:

Look at the exposed subframe, rear rack/tail, flat black plastic bits etc...

19. RedKat600

RedKat600 Vintage Screwball
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    2003 Copper SV1K
    Look at my Ninja edit, DanielSan.