Weaving in your lane

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by Bondy3, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Bondy3

Bondy3
    Expand Collapse

Hey,

sometimes I like to weave back and forth in my lane, either to heat up my tires or because I'm listening to music and semi-dancing while I'm riding. I stay within my lane and I don't defy the speed limit, but I'm all over my lane. sometimes I get really into it and can get a decent amount of lean in (especially when listening to Justin Bieber... don't judge me)

One of my friends recently told me that weaving within my lane can be considered stunting, and stunting is illegal and I could get into trouble from the cops.

Do you weave within your lane?
    Is it illegal?

2. nemisis714

nemisis714
    Expand Collapse

I will sometimes weave in my lane... not because I am listening to music.... but because I am bored..... also not sure if it is legal either

3. Mae

Mae
    Expand Collapse

Agreed, I do it when I'm bored. Not sure if it's legal or not, but meh...I do it anyways.

4. Oblisk

Oblisk
    Expand Collapse

i posted this in the ask a leo section. and havent seen a answer yet.

5. juanitotheclumsy

juanitotheclumsy
    Expand Collapse

Jeez. Who doesn't when they're bored? (But I always check my mirrors first.)

Sometimes I slalom around the centerline reflectors, too.

6. yard sale

yard sale
    Expand Collapse
    snowshoe kitten... prrr...
    1. kKk

I don't know if it's considered stunting but it can get you pulled over. Pretty sure a few folks on here could pipe in and tell you what their ticket said when they got nailed for it.

7. gfeero

gfeero
    Expand Collapse

A little weave in the lane can be enough to change the position of your headlight and wake that zombie motorist who is about to pull out in front of you. I have also done so when bored, or I think someone has forgotten that I'm there. It's our lane basically, if you aren't being excessive than it shouldn't be a problem. Leaned over and dragging a knee might be considered excessive.:devil: I would like to see a LEO's interpretation. Maybe I've been asking for it all these years and just been lucky.

jkester92 likes this.
  8. flyingcesar

flyingcesar
    Expand Collapse

I weave, it wakes me up. Not sure if it’s legal though.

9. nwskipro

nwskipro
    Expand Collapse

like everyone else said, not sure if it's illegal but i'd just keep it reasonable until we hear an official cop answer or someone who's been pulled over for it

btw... weaving doesn't efficiently or effectively warm up your tires, just provides more probability for an accident if tires are cold... just saying.

10. The only time I weave is to avoid potholes or manhole covers and then return to the position of line I was riding in.

I know you are new, I dont want to be a dick, so don't take this the wrong way, but...

1)Weaving isnt effective at heating tires. Alternating between hard acceleration and braking heats up motorcycle tires.

2)You probably shouldn't be so zoned out that you are really into your music and "dancing" on your bike

3)It is illegal in WA to have non-DOT approved headphones one. So you could be ticketed for listening to music while riding if your headphones are the typical shelf bought brand.

4)The entire lane is yours, but you are giving yourself a reason to be stopped with headphones in. And I guess the cop could consider that reckless or endangerment. You are also going to freak other motorist out and might be pulled over thinking you are drunk or high.

just my .02

11. Loudo

Loudo
    Expand Collapse

This +1

An urban legend that continues to live apparently. Accelerating and braking warms tires. Weaving within a lane...very little.

Physics, folks.

12. InvisibleMan

InvisibleMan
    Expand Collapse

I just don't see this going well for you. Weaving leads to being pulled over which leads to a ticket for wearing head phones which then leads to a savage beating at the side of the road and some tazer time for listening to Justin Bieber. I have consulted the magic 8 ball and it keeps coming up with "it is decidedly so" every damned time. Sorry.

13. lagwagonlead

lagwagonlead
    Expand Collapse

I dance on my motorcycle all the time while remaining focused on traffic. It's when I have one hand on my hip staring straight forward that I am "zoned out."

The RCW states you cannot have earbud's. While I still use them at least I know the law says I can use whatever brand/model I want as long as they aren't inserted into my ear.

14. nwskipro

nwskipro
    Expand Collapse

+1 on this. next time a cop pulls you over or confronts you, based on their past displays of 'rational thought' for 'properly' assessing the situation, you might want to immediately drop your pants, get down on the ground, hands behind your head, and say loudly, "please be gentle!"

15. DanAllen

DanAllen
    Expand Collapse

I do it when I'm bored. I dont listen to headphones when riding, the exhaust note is better than music.

16. DasBroose

DasBroose
    Expand Collapse

Inline.

EDIT: Also there was a thread on this, and the only law I saw was something about keeping control of your vehicle. It was like a reckless law. Bottom line, it's entirely up to the officer whether he thinks you were in control of your vehicle and just keeping it interesting/"warming up tires" or you're a drunk noob about to donate a few organs.

17. MikieTaps

MikieTaps
    Expand Collapse

I agree with the fat wrestler sitting at the computer.

even if he is a dick.

18. KevinD

KevinD
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    On two wheels
    :scared

KevinD

19. DasBroose

DasBroose
    Expand Collapse

:tiphat:

20. PeteN95

PeteN95
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

+1 But don't lift a tire while doing so, wheelies and stoppies are definitely illegal! :angry7: "Weaving", even within your lane, is probable cause to stop you, I believe?