What do you do to shake down your track/race only bikes?

Discussion in 'Track Time' started by jnicola, Jul 9, 2012.

1. jnicola

jnicola Shredical

I'm curious what everyone does to shake down their race and/or track only bikes before an event to make sure they're sorted. Since you can't just take it on the street for a quick ride (at least, legally) what do you do?

Or... do you do nothing, and just mechanically sort it out as best as you can tell and then huck it into turn 1 praying? :devil:

2. You don't buy a shady bike when someone else has a really nice one.

3. jnicola

jnicola Shredical

Your bike wasn't in my price range unfortunately... although I frequently regret not taking that 05 GSXR off of you :tard:

4. That's what TOR is for ... crackup: but no, JK...

5. grab a plate off another bike and rip it up and down I-5

6. Sidewalks and Bicycle paths work great hehe :evil4:

7. jnicola

jnicola Shredical

There's an elementary school by me with a big parking lot... :devil:

8. PeteN95

PeteN95 Moderator
    Staff Member

Not sure what you mean by "shake it down", but when I get done working on a bike, it is ready to go. Fine tuning the suspension may be required at the track, but mechanically it is ready.

9. jnicola

jnicola Shredical

Hmmm... that makes sense, although how do you know if you mayve have an issue with the forks being straight or the triple or something else silly like that... or maybe a light warp in the rotor... etc etc etc.

I'm probably over thinking it, but just curious if others know something I don't.

10. theJrod

theJrod Racer Extraordinaire

I'm with Pete.... any bike I own will have been gone through with a fine tooth comb before it turns a wheel on the track. Even after stripping it to the frame, replacing the engine, putting it back together... it's first 1/4 mile of life will be headed down the straightaway at 100+.

I can understand buying a bike of unknown condition, but that's where you go through it to verify everything. Granted, you're not going to discover issues like brake fade, shifting, high-speed wobbles, etc in your garage, but you can definitely make sure it's 96% mechanically sound without taking it off the stands.

Warped/bent rotors can be spotted visually most of the time on the stands. Bent forks are a little more difficult. If you suspect they're bent, have them checked. You could probably make your own jig to check them yourself if you had to, but KFG will do it for pretty cheap.

11. jnicola

jnicola Shredical

For sure, I think I might be overly stressing about that last 4%. I feel pretty darn confident about that other 96% being in survivable condition for the track... I just like my stuff to be 100% if I can get away with it!

12. yard sale

yard sale snowshoe kitten... prrr...
    1. kKk

i've devised a three step plan that has worked for me in the past when sorting out a new to me track bike.

step 1: talk up the bike to donny at riders meeting
    step 2: causually offer to let him take it out for a session as the meeting ends
    step 3: donny's a bike whore

13. This.

And suggest he take it out in the Fast Group, because it's a bike that "feels better the faster you ride it."

75% of the time he'll take you up on your offer 100% of the time.

14. yard sale

yard sale snowshoe kitten... prrr...
    1. kKk

That settles it.

/end thread

15. I've loaded it up and taken out to some deserted roads, and run it around a bit. I like to have it pretty close so I dont spend my whole day wrenching instead of riding.

16. I still remember when I bought my race bike from Jake Holden. Had just enough gas in it to get down Skyline and back.

17. Well, I will admit to back road checking b/4 some track days for a couple high speed blasts--but, my bike is licensed (like that matters) and I usually try to scrub in any new tires I may have mounted---but, when I went to the ridge 3 weeks ago, I just went out and railed on a new tire and some other wrenching and trusted it. Kinda scary. But, I guess it worked. :scared

Bottom line, I think we are all a wee bit crazy.

CB

18. This tends to work 100% of the 75% of the time its asked or hinted.

19. PeteN95

PeteN95 Moderator
    Staff Member

You shouldn't be slamming the thing onto your knee in the first turn anyway, so as you warm the tires for the first lap or so, you'll feel any issues before they become critical. I don't think blasting down some straight road will tell you much anyway.

20. jnicola

jnicola Shredical

Well you're no fun! :nana